No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks everyone. They are definitely doing the Beatles tour, Abbey Road recording studio, changing of the guards, etc. etc. Nicole has been begging me not to go. I am an embarrassment, after all. She will probably get that wish after I saw the price of the trip.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Laura, I'm very glad to hear Immy's appointment went well.

Michelle, My fingers will be crossed for Monday's appointment. I hope you get good news.

Melissa, How exciting! What a wonderful experience that will be for her and the choir! By the way, how has her dance gone so far? Didn't she start up again last week? I hope its going well.
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Thank you. Nicole went to dance last night, tap and ballet. It was her first time dancing since the summer. I brought her and her friend, chatted with a few Moms, got into my car and burst into tears. I cried for joy, sadness, anger, fear, pity. I was just a bundle of emotion. I wasn't prepared for those feelings. I cried for only a few minutes then I kept myself busy for two hours until I picked her up again. She was happy. There was a lot she wasn't allowed to do, especially in ballet. But she agreed that being there doing some things was better than not being there at all. It was so hearwarming to see all of the girls coming up to her with their hugs and greetings. The Dance Academy has been her 2nd home since age 3. Thanks so much for asking.
        Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,

I'm happy for Nicole. Even though moderately restricted, sounds like going back to dance has been good for uplifting her spirits. I totally understand your feelings, I still feel that way on occasion. Like just a little while ago, had my daughter (15) try on her new bikini for me. Noticed some waist/hip unevenness right away. Made her bend over for me, which she wasn't happy about at all and while it doesn't "look" too bad, I notice some asymetry. Looks like I will have to make an appt. for her to get checked out...d***, d***, d***

Renee

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
            Thank you. Nicole went to dance last night, tap and ballet. It was her first time dancing since the summer. I brought her and her friend, chatted with a few Moms, got into my car and burst into tears. I cried for joy, sadness, anger, fear, pity. I was just a bundle of emotion. I wasn't prepared for those feelings. I cried for only a few minutes then I kept myself busy for two hours until I picked her up again. She was happy. There was a lot she wasn't allowed to do, especially in ballet. But she agreed that being there doing some things was better than not being there at all. It was so hearwarming to see all of the girls coming up to her with their hugs and greetings. The Dance Academy has been her 2nd home since age 3. Thanks so much for asking.
            My heart goes out to all the moms and dads dealing with their child having scoliosis. I'm so very blessed to have 3 healthy children and none of them show signs of scolio. As a parent, it's must be so very heartbreaking to watch your child go through everything associated with this mess, and for me I'd much rather deal with it myself. You are an amazingly brave group of people! I'm in awe of your strength!
            Becky, 46 years old
            Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
            Ignored until 448/07
            Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
            Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
            Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
            Fused T-10 to L-5
            14 titanium pedicle screws
            Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
            Email

Comment

• Melissa,

Your post made me smile and cry. I am so happy that life is slowly becoming more normal. The trip, dance.................. Sigh of relief!

Hugs friend!
              Cheryl
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Thanks so much.

Renee, I am so sorry. Hopefully it is something minor. Remember that we see things way more critically than the average person. Please keep me posted.
                Melissa

Comment

• Renee,

Please keep me posted on your daughter. She would be past the age that it would normally develop so hopefully it's nothing. Do you go back for Vincent in April?

Melissa

I'm so happy for Nicole, and you. It is so good to see them getting back to their normal activities.

Comment

• Sorry to hear of your concerns about your daughter, Renee. Hopefully, it's nothing. I'm guessing she should be done, or almost done, growing (I stopped growing in 8th grade).

Good luck with both your daughter and with Vincent and keep us posted.

Hugs,
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Thanks ladies, I really hope it's nothing, my heart just dropped when I looked at her this morning. Keep telling myself maybe it was just the way the morning light was hitting on her or something. She didn't start menstruation till right before her 14th B-day, I did have her x-rayed a couple of months after that and there was nothing measurable. she is 15 1/2 now, that is what concerns me - she has grown a lot this past year. Vince has an appt. on Tuesday, oh boy the gray hairs are popping out as I type. We'll see what the dr. says...

Take care,
                      Renee
                      Last edited by flowerpower; 03-28-2008, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Renee, I hope its nothing...or if it has to be something that is very very very minor. What's the rule of thumb? (which of course doesnt apply to everyone) That growth ends approximately 2 years after menarche? If so, it sounds like she won't have much growing time left. Good luck!
                        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Originally posted by jillw
                          Renee, I hope its nothing...or if it has to be something that is very very very minor. What's the rule of thumb? (which of course doesnt apply to everyone) That growth ends approximately 2 years after menarche? If so, it sounds like she won't have much growing time left. Good luck!
                          Echoing what ehat everyone else has said, Renee ... hopefully it's not a concern.

And Jill, you're absolutely right about everyone being different - LOL! When my scoli was diagnosed at 10 (in 1979), I was still 4 years pre-menarche. I actually stopped growing 2 years BEFORE I started.

Random historical factoid ... back then, the general consensus was growth stopped *at* menarche.

They still have a lot to learn about scoliosis, but they've certainly come a long ways in 30 years!

Regards,
                          Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

• Renee,

I hope that it's nothing with your daughter! When I took Mackenzie to see Dr. Skaggs a couple of weeks ago, he felt that she was finished growing in her spine. She'll be 15 in June - and started her period in December 2006 - so a little over a year ago. I don't think she's grown much at all in the year since she started - although she was well-developed by the time she actually started (at 13 1/2).

Dr. Skaggs told us that any growth left would probably be in her legs, and not her spine - so hopefully that's the same for your daughter.

You've been a great help to me since I joined this forum nearly a year ago. It's been a crazy, stressful year - but we've made it through. Good luck with Vincent's appointment. Any way to take your daughter at the same time??

Lisa
                            Lisa
                            Mom to Mackenzie
                            diagnosed March 2007 at 28 degree thoracic, 40 degree lumbar
                            August 2007 - 37 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar
                            March 2008 - 39 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar

Comment

• Congrats

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                              Laura,

We just found out last night that Nicole is going to England next spring with her Choir!!!! She is so excited!!!! Cheerio!!!
                              Hope you stay in touch!
                              Shirley
                              Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Good Morning too everyone!! We are still in Atlanta, but I had to post that this time Emily's curve did improve!! She is now 10.6 degrees in brace and she grew 1 inch since the last xray!! That's a 14 degree improvement.
                                (I am also pretty sure as to the cause of the 24 degree xray).

I am a little concerned over the compensatory curves (this xray has one cervical and one lumbar), but the doctor says that there is no reason to worry, that it is just part of the process. (He said the cervical curve was more than likely caused by Emily's inability to stand straight without moving).

In July we will come back for an out of brace xray. He didn't have to do very many adjustments to the brace, just tightened strap 3 and 4.
                                Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                                28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                                Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                                17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                                Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                                3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                                11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

Working...
                                X