Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: spinecor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

spinecor

so, is there anybody on this forum who uses one of these, and can tell how comfortable (or not ) they are???

Mary Lou Guest
    gerbo,

I know there has been some discussion about this, so I suggest you do a search. Also, if I remember correctly, there has been more discussion about the SpineCor on the SpineKids website. Good luck.

Mary Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lou
    gerbo,

I know there has been some discussion about this, so I suggest you do a search. Also, if I remember correctly, there has been more discussion about the SpineCor on the SpineKids website. Good luck.

Mary Lou
    Hi :
    Please go to :SOSORT.org and info@skoliosehandlung.de for more information

Quote Originally Posted by BETall
    Hi :
    Please go to :SOSORT.org
    I went to the website and it's very exciting !! I think it's mainly for medical professionals and not for parents of children with scoliosis.

Smile spinecor

Quote Originally Posted by gerbo
    so, is there anybody on this forum who uses one of these, and can tell how comfortable (or not ) they are???
    My 11-year old daughter, Nicole has had the spinecor brace for almost 2 months now. She wears it 22 hours a day. There is no discomfort except the tops of her legs sometimes has marks on them when she takes off the brace. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Melissa

I am kind of convinced that there is good evidence (at least as good as the evidence re other forms of bracing) that this might provide an effective way of bracing

What will stop us, if anything, is my daughter protesting and saying that it is less comfortable than her current hard brace, to wgich she is so used to now.

Does your daughter feel the straps round her legs whilst wearing it, are all the other straps easy to fasten and do they stay in place? What about the bits round the pelvis, are they visible? comfortable? What does your daughter think.

In a next post I'll print the reply I got from the manufacturer about the spinecor and its effectiveness, hopefully you'll find that of interest

gerbo

spinecor

Hi,
    My daughter never wore another brace, so she has nothing to compare it to. She has never had any problems getting used to it. The straps are easy to fasten and she puts it on and takes it off all by herself. There are about a hundred different ways it can be worn, depending on the person's curve. So they make sure you understand exactly which strap goes where. The only complaint she ever has is that her thighs sometimes have marks on them from the thigh bands. She has been in the brace for 2 months and wears it religiously 22 hours a day. We don't know if it is working for her, yet because we will not go for her x-rays until Christmas week. What I like best about Spinecor is the philosophy that Movement is Life. Dance is her life and she wears her brace for ballet, tap, jazz and lyrical. The only time she will not wear it is when she is competing in dance or at her dance recitals. But all of that is in the Spring. Nicole has not had to buy any new clothes because even her blue jeans fit over her brace. Please let me know if I can help you in any other way. Good luck, Melissa

Gerbo...

I'm curious. What is your reason for switching to the Spinecor brace if your daughter is already in a brace? What type of a brace did she wear?

Regards,
    Linda

melissa, that is encouraging, thanks

linda; I am not happy with current brace with is a tight (hand in glove) thermoplastic TLSO model, custom made from a plastercast, which, and that is my main issue, only provides limited correction (from 29>21 degree whilst wearing the brace) All the evidence seem to suggest that with such a limited correction the endresult is unlikely to be particularly good.

Consultant we are using is unwilling to discus this or to consider other hard braces (like boston, in which additional correction after fitting is an option)

I feel we need to at least try alternatives and I must say that both the evidence, but also the theory behind spinecor appears very convincing, specially where it tends to hold the initial correction acjieved after discontinuation, opposed to haed braces where the curve tends to revert back to the original state

I am planning to give it a try, and see whether we can achieve greater in-brace correction then with the one we currently have. if so, we will continue, if not, we'll panic.

till some extend we are fortunate that we can get the fitting done by the owner of the firm producing the spinecor, so we get that as good as it will get.

I have some correspondence from him on my workcomputer, which i will publish in the next few days. Makes interesting reading

still feels like a gamble, but so does continuing on urrent lines

gerbo

Hi! I have been in the brace for 2 years. Try wearing dance or ice skating tights or leggings. It really keeps the brace from rubbing. Hope this works for you guys as it has for me.

Danielle

dsicequeen in another thread ...

No way, no HOW is she valid. Don't be taken in by "her".

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7733

They wanted to put *12* rods in her back?

She claims her curve was 47.5 to 37.6, and only Deutschman (not ANY other doctor I've met - or heard of -in THIRTY years), is skilled enough to measure to 1/10th of a degree? That all other doctors are too stupid to get within a 5 margin of error?

That she achieved any viable correction after skeletal maturity?

Please.

She's a plant, plain and simple.
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op 53, Post-op < 20
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Quote Originally Posted by txmarinemom View Post
    She claims her curve was 47.5 to 37.6, and only Deutschman (not ANY other doctor I've met - or heard of -in THIRTY years), is skilled enough to measure to 1/10th of a degree? That all other doctors are too stupid to get within a 5 margin of error?
    Well another problem is even if you could measure to within 0.1 degrees , if you have the patient move around and then take another film in a few minutes, it's not going to be that same measurement to the tenth of a degree.

So even if you could physically measure the curve on the film to that precision, it's still meaningless.

Also, the shill, er... I mean poster, stated she had a double curve but only stated one measurement. I guess that's were the "12 rods" come in to save the day.

It's curious that the Spinecor folks have now taken to adverting on fora. I would think they have enough customers.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

OMG, this is becoming another case of someone posting the same thing (ala BETAll) over and over again, in this case in an attempt at some free advertising for Dr. Deutchman!

I also can't stop laughing since I read that he (Deutchman) apparently uses a DIGITAL PROTRACTOR and that's how he alone is able to measure curves to within 1/10 of a degree when, as Pam said, the BEST doctors in the world admit there is a 5 degree margin of error. I hope nobody buys this HOGWASH!!

By the way, isn't Dr. Deutchman the guy who tried to con some parents into paying for vestibular testing claiming that there was a connection between scoliosis and one's inner ear!!!???? I believe there are several posts on this forum on that topic.
    Last edited by mariaf; 09-07-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mariaf View Post
    I also can't stop laughing since I read that he (Deutchman) apparently uses a DIGITAL PROTRACTOR and that's how he alone is able to measure curves to within 1/10 of a degree when, as Pam said, the BEST doctors in the world admit there is a 5 degree margin of error. I hope nobody buys this HOGWASH!!
    Maybe The Nobel prize folks need to add a new category for

"Measuring Cobb angles to a tenth of a degree."

Normally I'd suggest they just give Deutchman the Nobel in physiology or medicine but this breakthrough is of such a large magnitude that I think it warrants a whole new category of prizes.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Question Spinecor brace

My 12 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with thoracic 30 degree Scoliosis and was recommended for Boston brace. We would like any feedback on your Spinecor brace and treatment please. We have to make a decision and want to hear how others have done on Spinecor. Thank you