Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Inflammatorys

Hey-
    I posted a thead a while back about being on an anti-inflammatory for my pain. I was just told to wait it out because it was still relatively early..so thats what i have done. Its been about five weeks, almost six and I am not feeling and difference...possibly even feeling worse. How lond did it take for most of you to start feeling the effects of the anti-inflammatory and was it like absolutely no pain or what? Im just continually getting more and more frusterated. I don't go back to see my surgeon on december 30th but i really dont know if i can wait that long..let me know!
    Sincerely,
    Abby
    18 year old female
    scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
    corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
    After second surgery, fusion was a success.
    Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
    Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

I would have them change your anti inflammatories, some may work better than others for you.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

There are LOTS of pain/antinflammatory drugs on the market that are non narcotic. Ask your doc for something else. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find the one that is right for you.

Ask your doc if he has any samples in the office. You won't have to go thru the expensive routine of filling a Rx for a med that doesn't work.
      SandyC

Comment

anit-inflamitory drugs

I just found out from my surgeon that you should not take anti-inflamitorys for at least 4 months after surgery. The reason why is because they can slow down that healing of the fusion. I did not know this untill yesterday. Just thought I'd pass it along. Although this is just one docs opinion, the last surgeon I went to prescribed them at 2 months post-op.

Georgian
        spinal fusion 1985 T-6 to L-3, revision surgery T-3 to T-6 in 2005.

Comment

My surgeon said not to take aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications for SIX months after surgery due to the possibility of non-fusion occurring.
          Judyk

Comment

I guess my surgeon said it was ok...i am is so much pain that he wasnt going to just leave me hanging without anything and it had been somewhere around three months went i was prescribed with them. But yea there not helping so i need to get something figured out.
            18 year old female
            scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
            corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
            After second surgery, fusion was a success.
            Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
            Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Working...
            X