Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheryl, so glad things are doing so well for you! Take care, Kris

Comment

• Hi my daughter is having the surgery sometime in July. We don't have a date set yet. We are having the surgery at WakeMed in Raleigh. Our Doctor is Dr. Mankin. I did all the reserch I could I he seams to be very good at the proceedure. I'm just nervous and a little scared. I will keep you in my prayers.

Comment

• Hi Cheryl. Sorry I haven't been around much, but we moved to a new house about a week ago and didn't have internet until a couple of days ago. I wanted to pop in and check on Briann. Sounds like the tiny drainage tube won't cause any problems and that is for sure what we will pray for. She has been through enough without having to deal with other things too.

So glad to hear that she went to church today and is feeling like doing a few things. My Elizabeth went to the lake with a friend and her parents. They will be riding sidus (sp??) and are out on a boat. I worry about her back and her doing things that will hurt it, but I know that I have to let her have fun and live again. Her doctor has released her to do pretty much anything, but that doesn't mean that her mom has!

Take care and thanks for letting us know how things are going.

Ann, tell Lizzie congrats on graduating and to have fun at the prom. How fun! We went through high school graduation with our son last weekend. He looked so handsome in his cap and gown.

Good luck to Shelby and Jason too on your son and daughter's upcoming surgeries. This forum is a great source of information, support, and encouragement. I don't know what we would have done without it.

Love,
        Connie

Comment

• Hi Guys,

Good to hear from you, Connie. Wow, you've been busy. A move and a graduation all in one week. Hope Elizabeth had a blast over the weekend at the lake and that she didn't have to think much about her back.

Connie and Cheryl -- can you believe we are at the 6-month mark? Whew, so happy those six months are behind us. And to think we debated on doing Lizzie's surgery after her graduation. I can't imagine what kind of mess I'd be right now, since I'm already getting blue about her graduating and going to college. I just don't know where are the years have gone.

Hope everyone's summer is off to a good start. I feel bad saying that since the June kids are facing surgery very soon. I was thinking about them recouping in the summer time -- at least they won't have the school issues to worry about.

Take care...I'm off to work in a dash. Ann

Comment

• Thanks to all of you for praying for us. Briann went to school yesterday for 3 hours. After that she was wiped out. I am so proud of her.

Kris, guess Erica is almost at the 1 year! Yay!

Connie, wow a new house. Hope Elizabeth had fun at the lake. Briann's doctor released her to do whatever she feels like but she always tells people "but my mom says I can't do....." Sounds like we're similar.

Ann, hope Lizzie has a great time at the prom and graduating High School! Briann doesn't let her scar bother her either. She just wears whatever she feels like wearing.

Jason, my prayers are with you as you approach surgery. The first 2 weeks have rough moments but it flies by and these kids bounce back so quickly. I haven't heard of your doctor in Raleigh but I'm she he's great!

Thanks for your prayers!

Cheryl
            NCM

Comment

• Glad to hear Briann is doing so well! It was a good feeling to have Erica take and pass the sports screening for the next 12 months of school. She is now up to running around our house 4 times each day in the cool of the day, in preparation for track next spring!!! A few months ago it cause pail to rund 20 feet, so that is a big jump. I'm so glad to have her finally getting emotionally and physically prepared to delve into sports again. Track is a sport that tends not to draft students, unless they can't fit them all on the bus, so she doesn't feel like she has to compete to make the team. Also, the meets are primarily for personal best, rather than who wins the race. She swims also. Yesterday, I took her twin brother to swim team at our local pool and Erica studied in the hot van to avoid being seen by the swim team. Last summer the swim team gave her a huge card for her surgery wishing her well, signed by all the swimmers. Unfortunately, she still hates to think or talk about having had surgery. Once she gets in the water with her racing swim suit on, though, she is fine about her scar. She just doesn't want 20 questions about how she is doing, etc. I did notice her racing swim suit from 2 years ago does a really good job of cammouflaging most of the scar. She doesn't notice it showing, though. If only she would feel less self concious about facing questions about it too. Her 1 year follow-up is July 18, I think. Coming up!!! If the x-rays show her spine is fused completely, I will finally let her ride the bus (no seat belts). Like some of you said, the doctor cleared her for the bus long ago, but MOM didn't! My hubby has expressed his aggravation for the gas to transport her recently, when the doctor cleared her. I know how I will never accept myself if the bus has an accident as I've heard occasionally and throws out of seat. As I tell some people, others may break a bone or something if that happens, but post-surgery spine people can split the spine, and that is not worth the chance for me while those rods continue to hold the spine in position as it fuses for however long it takes. 3 more days of school for our kids, yeah!!! (not sure if I (mom) am really that eager, actually) Kris

Comment

• Hi!

Lizzie had her six-month appointment yesterday and all is good. Life is really returning to normal. She doesn't need to go back for another six months, which will be the one-year mark. Her doctor is encouraging her to get out there and start smashing tennis balls -- no need to hold back any longer. Hurray! Kris, if I'm feeling good about the six-month mark, I can imagine your joy as Erica's one-year "anniversary" approaches.

Cheryl and Connie: I sent you a private message.

Happy summer to all. Ann

Comment

• Well, it's been such a long time since I've posted .... I hope everyone from this thread is doing great in their recoveries.

I wanted to report that Lizzie will be leaving for college tomorrow. She is going to Indiana University and will be an official "Hoosier." Such a bright light from the dread and fear from last October when Cheryl started this thread. I'm torn -- so happy for her to be entering this exciting new phase of life, but oh-so-sad that my "baby" is leaving. I'm wondering if her surgery and all the time we spent together during her recovery is making this slightly harder for me. Or maybe I'm being "Freud-ish" and reading too much into my blues.

Being in a somewhat refective mood, I couldn't help but recall Nikki telling us about Crystal jumping over an open dishwasher door. At the time, we were in full recovery mode and I wasn't even able to imagine it. Well, I'm happy to say that last week Liz jumped across a lounge chair at the pool. So, I've guess wev'e come full circle!

Hope all is well with everyone as the new school year approaches. Love, Ann

Comment

• Anne, I understand the blues about the kids being older. I registered Crystal last week with final year of high school. Her grandma and I decided she hasn't been around long enough to be that old. Senior in high school, and those Senior pictures. Wow, next June she will be headed right off to college and started with a whole new world. I still have two that will be at home, but one of them is a Junior this year and the other a Freshman. But, I am looking forward to school starting, maybe life at home will slow down a little bit. Then, we will be concentrating on Graduation Day next May for Crystal. Craig & I have already decided what to do for her Graduation Gift. Craig is going to build a hope chest for her in our wood shop and then I'm going to buy little things during the year to fill it with. You know, all those things a college student needs. Towels, wash clothes, etc.

Anyway, my thoughts are with you on the beginning of school. And, how horrifying it is to see these kids getting back to normal, jumping over things, and for us to just sit there and not panic.

Well, got to go.

Love & Prayers,
                    Nikki

Comment

• Ann,
                      I think you're right about growing close during the long recovery. I would never wish this on my child again but I cherish those days that we spent together and the closeness I felt to Briann. And I got to do it twice. Here's wishing I never have to do it again!

I hope that you are adjusting well. I'm sure Lizzie is having a blast. If you haven't read "Feather from my Nest" by Beth Moore, you need to read it. It's about her girls going off to college, etc.

Briann is doing great! Finished driver's ed and started high school. I would say she's at 100% now. I'm not even sure when her next dr. appt. is. I just pray that all is as it should be. It's amazing how you quickly move on and quit focussing 24/7 on scoliosis. I was obsessed with wanting every bit of information I could get but it's how I found comfort. I don't know what I would have done without all of you and this forum. I have to start logging on more often and helping those who are now facing decisions about their future.

My best and prayers to all.

Cheryl
                      NCM

Comment

• Hi everyone. Thought I would take a moment to post too. I can't believe that we are at the 9 month mark. It was a year ago at this time we found out that Elizabeth was going to need surgery. All the difference a year can make!

We go back to the doctor on Sept. 14 for a 6-7 month checkup. I kind of forgot and let the 6 month mark go from our last appt. that was in February. I am a little concerned as Elizabeth is complaining about her lower back being pretty sore these days, but hopefully it is just getting back into school and sitting again and being more active. I will let you all know how the appt. goes.

Ann, I can't believe that Lizzie has left for college. My son also left this year but is only an hour away from home. I can only imagine how you must feel with all you have been through with Lizzie. I hope this will be a really good experience for her and that she doesn't even have to think about her back. I just had a friend leave today headed back to Indianapolis. It is a very pretty place and I know Lizzie will do great!

Cheryl, I can relate with the girls starting high school. It is a scary thing as they seem so grown up and mature. Elizabeth won't get her permit until March as they have to be 15 1/2 here in Oklahoma. She is already talking about it though. Good luck to Briann on her driving. I am so amazed at how Briann has come through both surgeries and has recovered so well.

I just so appreciate you all for the support and encouragement that was given throughout presurgery times and post. It has been so encouraging to know that you understand and are going through such similar things.

Have a great school year and please stay in touch.

Love, Connie

Comment

• 7 month mark

Hi everyone:

It is great to hear from everyone. Carrie is at the 7 month post op mark and doing so incredibly well that we forget that we were so worried and anxious just a few short months ago. This is the better side to be on, that's for sure.

She is a senior in high school and driving everywhere everyday. She is going to piano lessons and marching with the high school band and even going to physical therapy three times a week. She is taking pre-calculus, anatomy and Honors government in school and doing great. She feels great and she says the physical therapy is making her stronger and more confident and more flexible. PT has definitely been worth the effort for her.

She had a marvelous 6-month post op appt. with her doctor. He said that she has healed perfectly and he is so pleased with how much she can do and how well she is feeling. Carrie has actually helped two other girls who have gone through this surgery with the same doctor. We have been at the hospital waiting with the families, and that has been especially emotional for me. I see her doctor come out in the scrubs and I hear him talking to the families and I can flash back to our experience and I find myself crying right along with everyone else.

Carrie has been bringing home information about caps and gowns and class rings and announcements. I cannot believe we are at this time in our lives. I know that it will only be a year from now when she will be heading to college (as of right now, her goal is to become a pharmacist). She said that the surgery has made her more confident and happy with herself and her appearance; it has all been good for her. I'm so glad that we as her parents could make this happen for her and I am especially glad that the results were so wonderful for her.

I continue to read this forum and I love to hear how everyone is doing. I will always feel a part of this wonderful scoliosis family. All yall helped me so much when we were facing the unknown. I don't know what I would have done without your wonderful support. I hope that we have helped others along the way.

Marie

Comment

• Hey Gals,

Did you all see those stars next to the "We've got a surgery date" thread? I wonder what that means.....

We were just at Indiana University for Freshman Parent Weekend and what a joy it was to see Lizzie and see how she's blossomed in just a few short weeks. She was quite teary when we dropped her off (imagine that lovely 4-hour drive home; I was a wreck). But the blues seemed to last only a day or two and she's off and running. When I asked her how she liked it on a scale of 1 to 10, she gave it an 11! As a parent, I couldn't be more thrilled that she's so happy there.
                            Get this...all her new friends are just amazed (and envious of) at her posture!

Glad to hear your girls are doing so well. Connie and Cheryl - you're both off on the exciting high school journey. I hope it's wonderful for Briann and Elizabeth. Good luck with the driving -- that wasn't my favorite part of high school, but I found it much easier with Liz than her brother, so Connie maybe you'll experience that too! How did Elizabeth's appointment go? Is the soreness still there? It is an adjustment to sit in a desk all day after a long summer.

Marie, enjoy the last year. I remember the cap & gown measurement time and also wondered where the years went. How nice that Carrie has the surgery behind her and can truly enjoy her senior year.

The jury is still out here on this empty-nesting thing. It's so darned quiet! But I'm trying to enjoy the good parts of it. My husband and I are big golfers and on a pleasant evening, we'll go out and play nine. We could never do that before. And my kitchen is staying so clean. Not cooking a whole lot and no kids here making messes!

I love hearing from everyone. Soon, the November girls will be approaching their first anniversary...what JOY. Too bad we're so far apart that we couldn't gather to celebrate. Love, Ann

Comment

• Hi,

I hope you don't mind my butting into your conversation. But I too just dropped my son off at college a few weeks ago. He is at Penn State and he is my oldest. I'm just so surprised that I was very unemotional. I usually cry at commercials. But I have been very calm. I didn't even cry at graduation.
                              We are going to visit him this weekend. It is about a 4 hour drive, as well.
                              I still have my girls at home. My little one is 12 and she is the one with scoliosis.

Melissa
                              Melissa
                              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Ann,
                                I wonder what's up with the stars. Oh well, it kind of makes me feel special. How weird it must be to have all your kiddos out of the house. I am so glad that Lizzie is happy at college. That proves you've done a great job as a parent. I can't believe my first will be going in four short years. I just hope I do all the right, or close to right, things as we head into high school. So far, she loves it.

Briann's has had lots of comments on her posture too. She had her 4 month or 10 month post-op yesterday. I was a nervous wreck since we usually get surprising news at her dr. appts. Actually I think this appt. was in response to the May surgery. She looks fantastic on the x-ray. The doctor cleared her to ride roller coasters at a themepark in Charlotte who has this special Halloween thing. She is so excited. I told her she could only ride the smooth ones. We go back in six months so I guess we won't be heading back for the 1 year since we were so close.

Melissa, I know what you mean about the tears thing. I cry so easily but on the day of Briann's surgeries (she had 2) I was so calm. Prayer works! God really came through on those 2 days because that certainly wasn't something I could have done by myself.

Connie, how's high school for Elizabeth? Briann just got called to do the 5 day driving part but she has a terrible cough and cold......as do we all so we're gonna postpone for a couple of weeks.

My best to you all!

Cheryl
                                NCM

Comment

Working...
                                X