No announcement yet.

We have a surgery date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good morning Cheryl and Ann. It sounds like our girls are coming along pretty well with their healing. It is hard to believe that it has only been 2 weeks - at times it seems like a month or so. We have seen great improvement in the last 2 days though with Elizabeth. We are able to spread her pain meds out a little farther, the doctor allowed us to add in ibuprofen, and she has slept through the last 2 nights. She gets frustrated at things pretty easily and still gets kind of down, but things are getting better. She is going to go to a friend's birthday party on Friday nite. She won't be able to stay for the movies and sleepover part, but I will take her to the dinner and stay with her so she can leave when she starts getting too tired. At least she feels like going for a while and seeing her friends.

Glad that Briann's post-op went pretty well. I know you must be concerned about the numbness in her thighs. Hopefully over time the feeling will return and there will be no problems. We are still hoping that Elizabeth's hips even out as there is a big curve right now and she is very unbalanced. The doctor said it should balance itself out over the next couple of months, but I am uneasy about it.

I hope that Liz and Briann continue to get stronger every day and can enjoy Christmas as it approaches. Have they had many friends over yet? I am hoping that as Christmas Break comes and things settle down for everyone that more friends will find the time to visit and hang out with Elizabeth. Right now it is just an extremely busy time for everyone. She has had several friends stop by, but I can tell she misses the daily interaction with them.

-Connie

Comment

• We're lucky -- Lizzie is 17 and her friends all drive, so it's been a revolving door since she got home from the hospital. Plus, we live only a few blocks from the high school and as seniors, they can leave campus for lunch. So, they're coming and going on their lunch hours. It's good for Liz since I figure she must be getting sick of me!

Good luck to Elizabeth tomorrow nite. I hope she enjoys the party and is comfortable enough to stay as long as she wants. We're not at that point yet, as far as going out. But, hopefully, soon.

Cheryl, glad to hear the appointment went well. Hope her thighs "wake up" real soon. Spine-wise, it sounds like the surgery was a success. Good news.

We're doing fine here...watching more snow fall. I keep logs on the fire, so there is some contentment with being so confined. I see an improvement in Lizzie every day. The strength keeps on coming! The only thing I'm unnerved about is the bowel thing. Still no progress there and I'm amazed that she's not horribly uncomfortable. The only thing I can figure is that her pain medication is working in that direction too. It's going on two weeks....

My husband came home from work early today and I ran out for a couple of hours and I started my Christmas shopping and got a bulk of it done. It's strange, I used to labor over each gift, but nope, not anymore. I think, because of Liz's surgery, I have found a new way to "do Christmas." I vow never again to get stressed out over cards, shopping, parties, etc. So, in a strange way, the surgery has been a gift...there is peace in my house (and heart) instead of frenzy!

Here's hoping there's peace in your homes too! Particularly, peaceful nights with our girls sleeping comfortably and healing in their slumber. Love, Ann

Comment

• Ann and Connie,

Good Morning! This has probably been the most peace Christmass we've ever had. I did the bulk of my shopping for my family (excluding my kids) in about an hour at the mall just before Thanksgiving. Just about everyone is getting a gift card from what I hope is their favorite store. My kids opted for a smaller Christmas so we can take a trip over spring break to celebrate Briann being on the other side. Of course, I've probably still overdone it with them. I don't think I'll get to Christmas Cards this year but I've sent enough thank yous to make up for it. We have been so very blessed and our church has meals scheduled until 12/28 excluding Christmas and Christmas Eve. Briann's birthday is tomorrow. She's 14! We are having a small group (3 friends) come over for pizza and a movie. She is working very hard to get caught up in school and I wish we didn't have to worry about that and could just enjoy spending our day together. She still gets tired so easily.

Ann, is Liz trying the stool softener and the Milk of Mag. We are finally fairly regular in that area. Praise! I hope that gets better very soon. I've been there and I know how miserable it can be.

Connie, Hope Elizabeth enjoys her party tonight!

Merry Christmas to you and your families and have a wonderful weekend.

Cheryl
        NCM

Comment

• Happy Birthday wishes to Briann!!! Hope she has a wonderful day. You too, mom! - Renee

Comment

• Party time! For both Briann and Elizabeth! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIANN! What a wonderful way to start your 15th year...healthy and with a new, beautiful back. We're sending birthday hugs from snowy Chicago...

Hope Elizabeth has a fun time tonite and can forget about the last few weeks for awhile.

My Lizzie was hoping to go over to her high school this morning for a "holiday" (politically correct) program. All her friends -- and teachers -- are somewhat expecting her. Plans were made for a few of them to meet us at the door while I parked the car. But....it's not going to happen. I just placed a couple of calls and left messages on cell phones. It's just too early to attempt this, I think. Lizzie wanted to go, but I think it seemed too daunting to her and she doesn't want to try it. It's a good distance from the entrance of the school to the auditorium and I think that scared her. Plus, it's snowing and blowing here like crazy and that could make it more difficult.

Today could be a good day to bake some cookies. Wishing you all a great weekend and continued strength. Love, Ann

Comment

• Good morning Cheryl and Ann. It helps my spirits to hear from both of you as my emotions seem to still be recovering from these last couple of weeks or so.

Elizabeth had a harder day yesterday and just was overly tired. The doctor's office wants us switching off the Lortabs to a non-narcotic pain medicine called Ultracet. I picked it up last night and Elizabeth will take one this morning. It is suppose to have the same type of ingredients as the narcotic ones except without the narcotic. We will see. I hope the party will work out tonight, but if she is overly tired or hurting then we won't go.

Happy Birthday to Briann!! I hope she has a wonderful day and can enjoy her friends coming over. I am glad that she is feeling better and can enjoy her birthday.

Sorry that Lizzie won't be going to the high school for the program, but I don't blame you with the weather and all. We are lucky right now in Oklahoma as there is no snow or ice. That will change this weekend as they are calling for rain mixed with snow for Saturday and Sunday. It is scary to venture out and walk for very far as I know that my Elizabeth still loses her balance at times and I make sure to be right beside her.

Merry Christmas to all of you too and thanks for all your support and encouragement. It helps to go through this with your families.

Connie

Comment

• Happy birthday Briann! I found out from Erica that she nearly fell going in the door to school yesterday, when our school started after a 2 hour delay due to freezing rain. I was concerned about driving her to school, as accidents were all over the highways and I hate driving. She told me to be careful driving home as she was standing outside the car to go in the school. As I started to pull away, in my panicky state about driving, it occurred to me I should have made sure she made it in the school building. I left hoping her twin brother would figure out if there was ice and help her, as he is often told to do when we are home. After school she told me how she almost slipped and her friend also almost slipped on the front steps at school. To think I drive her so the bus doesn't have a quick stop and send her through the seat in front and break her back. Here she almost falls on the way in the building at school! Happy birthday again Briann! Kris

Comment

• Kris, I guess it just shows that no matter how hard we try, we can't always be there to protect our kids! I know I'm treating Liz like a porcelain doll and I'm going to have to get over that. It's icy and slippery here too...maybe we should buy some de-icing salt and keep it in our cars to throw in the paths of our daughters!

Lizzie was having a pity-party yesterday....feeling blue that it's Christmas time and she's confined to either her bed or the easy chair in the family room. So, I'm thinking of taking her to the mall and renting a wheel chair so that she can soak in the season. It could be a spirit-booster -- since this is the first time she's really expressed being down about everything. Up until yesterday, the attitude has been great, but I think it's starting to wear on her. Oh well....as they say in the song, "we need a little Christmas, right this very minute!"

Watch that ice. Ann

Comment

• Ann, we loved the wheelchair for a month or so after Erica came home from Shriners. Shriners used the wheelchair to aid her in walking, as she could switch back and forth between pushing the wheelchair and sitting in it. She was able to get longer distances and more interesting walks/strolls with the assistance of the wheelchair. Erica was very determined to walk alot and longer distances each time, so the wheelchair was a help to her, whereas patients who try to sit more than walk might use it too much as a cruch. Good luck with the wheelchairs or those riding carts at the malls and stores. I bet she'll love the change of scenery, and hopefully be motivated to increase her distances of walking behind the wheelchair from time to time. I also found our her twin had an armful of projects for his class as he walked carefully on the ice with her into the school yesterday. He put out his arm to assist her, even though his arms were full, but she ended up stabolizing herself and they made it in the door without actually falling. Thank God for the twin brother who helps her to and from school, as well as up and down our steps when it's slippery! Kris

Comment

• To all,
                      If your girls are feeling down and you can get them out of the house, do so. If you take them to the mall, invite one or two of their friends to go too. It is more fun for them that way. The best recovery for Crystal was letting her do things. Her friends would come see how she was feeling and took her to town for lunch, etc. They were all very careful with her and did things that were for her best interest. These kids are very social creatures and being cooped up in the house is really hard on them. I had to trust Crystal's friends and let them take her by themselves. Because, she had a brace after surgery, they all would want to know what to do and how to put it on her and off of her. Which was very helpful when she went back to school. I had to let Crystal be with her friends by herself, because they just don't act the same when parents are around. It's a hard thing to do, but you have to let them be themselves. You are probably saying "Oh, ya, ya, ya." But, you can't put bubble wrap around them. Have you thought about them popping those stupid little bubbles and driving you crazy. Keeping them cooped up will do the same thing. Yes, they are very fragile, or at least we as mom's think they are. But, in reality, they aren't going to usually do things that might injure themselves. They will heal much more quickly, if they can get out and about a little. The wheel chair is a great idea. But, take some friends and let them take her through the mall and do their girl things alone. They'll really keep an eye on her. Just because they are kids, doesn't mean they won't be responsible.

Okay, I am off my soap box.
                      'til later,
                      Nikki

Comment

• Kris & Nikki,
                        Thanks for the sage advice from moms who have been there. Lizzie's friends were over today and we made plans to go the mall Tuesday morning. I will go along, but they can take off and do their thing....and hopefully I can get a little shopping done as well!
                        As soon as the friends left, the attitude turned sour again. I'm accepting it, figuring she has to dump on someone and I'm the logical candidate. She's still down, saying she wishes we had waited until January for the surgery. Originally, we had the choice between the November date and one in early January and we were of the belief: "let's get this done and over with." Liz was first braced at age 10 -- and she's now 17 and grew through three braces -- so we had put this off long enough. (Had put it off so that she could participate in high school athletics.)

But your both right -- I think the change of scenery could help her snap out of this! I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Ann

Comment

• Hi everyone. I think it does help to have friends over and get the girls out with their friends. Elizabeth is doing much better but still gets tired very easy and is dealing with some pain in her left arm and shoulder. I keep thinking it is the muscle and nerve healing, but we can ask the doctor at the appt. on Wednesday morning.

We had an 8th grade girl's Sun. school class party at our house this morning from about 12:30-2:00. The class had it here so Elizabeth could attend and be a part of it. She had a really good time and participated in the games and everything. She seems more like herself when friends are over and something else is going on.

Elizabeth is completely off Lortabs and Valium now which is good. She is on a medication called Ultracet and is also taking ibuprofen. Overall she seems to be handling things pretty well.

I hope that Lizzie's attitude will start to change as she gets out more with friends and can enjoy a little more of the Christmas holidays. Our doctor even mentioned going to see a movie with friends. The girls could just take their squishy pillows for their backs and would probably be fine. My Elizabeth went through several really down days, but things seem to be improving as she gets back involved in some fairly normal activities like school work and parties.

I hope Briann enjoyed her birthday and had a really good day. Pizza is always good and even better with friends!

Take care everyone. What Elizabeth and I have been doing is making short trips out like to one store. She is getting better at walking around and building her stamina up. We haven't tried the mall yet, as Elizabeth is afraid she would get really tired and not have any place to sit down. Plus it is so crazy right now with Christmas shoppers.

Love,
                          Connie

Comment

• Hi All!

Lizzie had her post-op appointment today and all is well. Actually, the worst part for her was the time spent in the waiting room for the x-rays. She was miserable there, but once we got to the doctor's office, they scurried to get her set up and comfortable in the examining room. She's right on track with everything. They removed the strips from the anterior incision and it looks good. It's amazing how fast they heal, isn't it? And also how the incisions are closed up nowadays. I told Liz that her 3-week-old scar looks better than one I have on my arm that's 30-plus years old!

Her x-rays looked great, with a beautiful straight spine! But, man, when you look at all that hardware, it just jolts you again with the realization of what your daughter went through. Her only kink is getting those bowels moving. He told us to get magnesium citrate and drink about 1/4 of the bottle -- he calls it the "green bomb" (it comes in a 7-Up-green bottle) and as such, thinks it should do the trick. I picked it up on the way home and will let you know.

Hope all are doing well. Connie, I'm happy Elizabeth had a fun time with her Sunday school pals -- friends are indeed an important part of the healing process. Lizzie's spirits have picked up a bit. I think I read on somewhere on this website about the magical "three week mark." Well, we'll be there tomorrow, so I'm hoping that's true. Did you notice anything on Monday?

I've had Jaime and Joseph on my mind all week. Hope we hear from them.

To all my new online friends: Have a wonderful season full of abundant blessings. I know in our house, this Christmas will be a special one with the surgery safely behind us. Alleluia! Love, Ann

Comment

• Hi Everyone,
                              Ann, I think we are showing signs of the 3 week mark. Briann is using less and less pain medication and isn't asking for it but I'm still giving it to her. She wants to go to a birthday party tonight. I told her she could go for a few hours but not spend the night. I just pray that everyone coming is good and healthy. Briann is still having the numbness in her legs. I just pray that it will go away.

She had only 3 friends over for her birthday on Saturday. She pretended that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her but of course mom kept chiming in with "make sure you don't bounce on her or bump her."

How are your girls doing on schoolwork. One of Briann's teachers just kept insisting to me that she do a revolutionary war project. I finally said she is not capable of doing that as she is still so very far behind in just the basics in each of her classes. Her principal told me to say that she can do 20 minutes per subject per day and that's it. Just wondering what your girls are doing.

Sounds like they're all 3 moving in the right direction. We, too, have a different feeling around our house this Christmas. God has surrounded us by so many wonderful people that His love is overwhelming us this year. We still have meals coming everyday. I'm getting a little chubby but it is so nice not to have to cook.

Merry Christmas!
                              Cheryl
                              NCM

Comment

• Hi Everyone. We had Elizabeth's follow up appt. this morning and it went really well. They did not take x-rays again but we were able to take our digital camera and take pictures of the last set of x-rays.

The doctor took the steri-strips off her hip incision and it looks so good. I am glad he did it as she cries and falls apart every time I touch her hip area. We don't have to bandage it any more and I am glad as the adhesive is really bothering her skin.

Her hip curve is still there but the doctor was encouraged because she can shift her body to make it straighten. He said that she needs to keep doing that and allow her body to hold itself in a straighter position. It is really strange, but I am glad there is hope for her body to look straighter.

She is only taking ibuprofen now and sometimes the new drug called ultracet(which has tylenol in it). I really am amazed at the improvement I have seen over this last week and considering she was using a walker and crying all the time 2 weeks ago, things are amazingly different and better. We don't go back for 2 months unless there is a problem

I do need to call the office though and get some paperwork taken care of for when she goes back to school in January. She needs to be able to use the elevator and have a set of textbooks for school and another set for home. She also needs to be able to leave classes 5 minutes early to not be in the rush of the hallways. I am not sure how to set all that up, but it may be part of the plan that many have talked about for school.

I am so happy that we are all on this side of surgery and the girls are doing so well. I also hope that Briann's numbness in her legs goes away very soon. Elizabeth is numb along her spine in several places but other than that we haven't noticed anything.

I'm glad that Lizzie's scars are looking so good. It is amazing at how good they look once the strips come off. Looking at the hardware in their backs does jolt you into reality and all their bodies have gone through. The first time we were back at the doctor's office and they took the x-rays, Elizabeth couldn't really stand to look at the films, but today she wanted me to take the pictures with my camera so she could show her friends what the rods look like.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone. I am thankful for your friendships and going through recovery with all of you. It has truly helped in many different ways.

Love,
                                Connie

Comment

Working...
                                X