No announcement yet.

We have a surgery date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ann and Cheryl. I can't believe that we are almost 10 months post-op and talking about the year anniversary. How awesome!!

We had Elizabeth's check up last Thursday and the doctor was very pleased with how her x-rays and back were looking. He told her she could be the poster child for scoliosis surgery. Elizabeth asked him about why her lower back is so sore and he told her that it just takes a long time for all the muscles to heal completely and that she needed to be sure to do a lot of stretching. She needs to be doing the exercises she was given during physical therapy, but it seems like between homework, dancing, and going to school there isn't much time.

Elizabeth really does love being in high school. For some reason it is harder on me knowing she is old enough to be a freshman. I guess I just know how quickly my son's 4 years went by in high school. I am not ready for the empty nest yet, although it has been kind of nice having just one at home right now. I do miss my son though and will be glad when he comes home again for a visit.

Cheryl, I hope that Briann feels better soon and she can get her driving in for driver's ed. My husband has taken Elizabeth driving in a couple of parking lots letting her get some practice in. She thinks that is pretty cool. She will get her permit in March and will take driver's ed probably in February. How is Briann enjoying high school? As far as the roller coaster thing, our doctor cleared Elizabeth too except for the really jerky ones or ones that flip you hard. It still makes me nervous though!

Ann, I am sure it will take some adjustment to get used to the empty nest. The quiet would be nice at times, but kind of lonely at others as I enjoy the laughter and busyness of Elizabeth and her friends when they are over. Too bad we do live so far apart as it would be a really special thing to meet up to celebrate the 1 year anniversary.

Marie, hope Carrie enjoys her senior year. It will go by so quickly. Thankfully the surgery is behind all of you and you can concentrate on all the special things that go on during this school year. Is Carrie having any problems with back soreness with all the marching in band? Elizabeth is sore from starting back to dance, but it is also good for her to be doing the activities that she loves again.

Take care everyone and thanks for checking in. You all are very special to me and I am so thankful for the encouragement and support.

Love,
    Connie

Comment

• You guys aren't going to believe this. My husband and I have whooping cough (it's the pertussis in the dpt vaccine). It's a horrible cough that lasts weeks to months. I am so thankful that it is this year and not this time last year when we were heading into surgery. Our kids haven't gotten it as their vaccine is still probably good. I would suggest anyone with an upcoming surgery consider talking witht their primary care physician about getting a booster as adolescense vaccines tend to run out from age 11 to 18 and adults have probably definitely run out. It has now been added back into the tetanus booster that most kids get at 12 and adult boosters of tetanus. I think its called dtap now.

It's a horrible,horrible cough and seems to be on th rise in the last few years. I hope this helps keep anyone from getting this.

Cheryl M
      NCM

Comment

• Hi Cheryl. Just wanted to write and say that I hope you and your husband are feeling better after dealing with the whooping cough. I haven't heard of anyone getting it around here, but you never know. I am very glad that it wasn't this time last year when you guys got sick with it. Thankfully we are all coming up on the one year anniversary next month and things are continually improving.

Elizabeth is dancing 4 nights a week again and is starting to trust her body again with different moves and feelings. It has been scary for her to wonder about every ache or pain, but the doctor reassured her that everything is healing well and she can be active again.

Hope everyone is doing well too - Cheryl, Ann, and Marie.

Love,
        Connie

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving! We all have so many things to be thankful for. My major one is that we are not facing surgery in a few days. How quickly a year passes. We are all doing great! Whooping cough is slowly but surely going away. Briann is fantastic and enjoying high school. May God bless all of you this Thanksgiving and may He also keep everyone safe during this holiday season.
          Love,
          Cheryl
          NCM

Comment

• Hi Everyone:

Just wanted to let you know that we were most thankful for Carrie being exactly 10 months post op this Thanksgiving! She is doing wonderfully and has no pain at all.

She is a senior in high school and was able to perform all of the required physical demands of marching band this year. She said she felt better than ever while marching. So it was all worth it for her. She really got a lot from physical therapy and she said by the last few sessions, they were giving her a workout, not just therapy.

Carrie has applied and been accepted to college and has even gotten information that she has earned a scholarship for academics. She plans to become a pharmacist. She is looking forward to college next fall.

I'm so glad to hear that all is well with everyone. I can't believe this time has gone by so fast, but I'm glad we are all on this side of surgery. Please take care and have a great holiday season.

Love, Marie

Comment

• Hi everyone! I knew that I needed to come online and write again. One year ago we were facing this back surgery and I can't believe how much has changed over this past year. Elizabeth is back to dancing again full-time. She takes 4-5 classes a week and has pretty much no limitations. I worry much more than anyone else does about her getting hurt. She is loving high school and is talking about getting her driver's permit in March. Her daddy is already taking her out and letting her drive in parking lots and the neighborhood.

Marie, I am so glad that Carrie is doing so well. And congrats!! on the scholarship for college. That is so awesome! I understand what you are saying about the physical therapy too - Elizabeth was really getting a good workout by the end of her sessions. I couldn't do what they had her doing - that is for sure!

Ann and Cheryl, I am so thankful for our friendship and bond with our girls. I couldn't have made it through as well without your support and encouragement. I really wish one day we could meet with our girls and let the "Elizabeths" meet face to face.

I am just so thankful that we are one year out and can look back at how far we have all come.

Love to you all,
              Connie

Comment

• Wow! It's been a long time. Briann will be 1 year post-op tomorrow for her 2nd surgery. How time flies. She is doing great! We recently saw her Doctor and he said to come back in 1 year and after that to come back at 18 years old. Hope all is well with everyone.

Cheryl
                NCM

Comment

• Hi Cheryl,

Congrats on the 1 yr. post-op for 2nd surgery. So glad to hear Briann is doing well.

Renee

Comment

• Surgery in September for Naomi

Well I suppose its the piece of news we don't want to hear yet when we get it we (well me) can't help but think, this is what will make girl straight again.
                    Naomi my daughter 12 1/2 years of age will under go surgery on September 4 to correct her Scoliosis 64T.
                    She has asked me if their is anyone out there of similar age who she could email and talk to about the operation. Obviously it would need to be someone who has experienced similar surgery keeping in mind it looks like her lumbar area will be spared (maybe L1)? The procedure looks like covering T4/T5 to L1.
                    I would appreciate a note if anyone is able to share their email so Naomi can talk to someone who can help her with the questions.
                    Obviously we are also working with professionals in preparing us all for this day/event but I need for her to ask questions a kids way to someone who has experienced all this.
                    If you can help that would be great, please send a private message with email, name and Naomi will make contact. Appreciate any help.
                    Ivan (Naomi's dad)

Comment

Working...
                    X