Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have a surgery date!

Hi everyone,

My daughter is scheduled for surgery on November 28th in Charlotte. We are a bit nervous but feel confident, only after reading all the success stories on this forum, that she will be fine. Please keep us in your prayers.

Cheryl
    NCM

Best wishes to you and your daughter. I'm sure time will fly between now and then. Who did you choose to do the surgery? will keep you/daughter in prayers .Take care & good luck,

Renee

Comment

We chose Dr. Wattenabarger at Ortho Carolina here in Charlotte. Thanks for your prayers.

Cheryl
      NCM

Comment

Cheryl M

I think I have spoken to you before. I'm elsa - from UK - my 13 year old daughter is having surgery on 12th November. It all seems so very frightening but as you said it does help to read other peoples experiences on this site. I am so glad I found this site I think it has really helped me to not feel alone..
        I am sending you lots of luck for surgery. Hopefully my daughter will be back home then and i will let you know how everything goes.
        Take care
        Elsa xxxx
        UK mum of 2 girls with scoliosis.
        Younger daughter facing surgery 12th November 2005

Comment

Elsa,

My prayers go out to your daughter. I am also glad I found this sight and have others to talk to who are going through the same thing. I have good days and not so good days but I am confident that all will go well. I just hope I can give my daughter the support she needs as she doesn't talk about the surgery that much.

Again, I'll pray for you and your daughter.

Cheryl
          NCM

Comment

Cheryl, congratulations on your date! God bless all of you. Kris

Comment

Best wishes to you. You will soon be on the other side. You will be in my prayers.

Nikki

Comment

An uncanny similarity

I just signed on and am dumbstuck. Our daughter, too, will have her surgery on November 28th. She is 17 and was diagnosed at age 10. We've been holding the surgery off for about 3-4 years, since she's a competitive tennis player and she wanted nothing more than to finish out her high school career.
                Anyway, I will tell my daughter she's not alone -- there is someone else having her surgery on the on the very same day! There's something very cool about that, don't you think? Ann

Comment

Cheryl, Elsa, and Ann, congratulations on your surgeries being all in November! Also, Elsa, I love meeting people from other cultures. It is neat that you write November 12 as 12th November in the UK. Kris

Comment

Elsa and Ann,

As I pray for my daughter and her November surgery, I will also pray for both of your daughters. Ann, it really is cool that we have the same surgery date. We're hoping she'll be well enough to travel a few hours in the car over Christmas. That will be about 1 month post Op. She'll miss three weeks of school,then have x-mas break for two weeks and hopefully return on Jan. 2.

Keep in touch.

Cheryl
                    NCM

Comment

I had surgery in 1989 after wearing a brace for 5 years. My surgery was almost 15 years ago as i am now 34. I was wondering if yall had checked out the website spinekids.com. I looked yesterday and thought it was wonderful. I would have loved to have a resource like that to read before my surgery. It is all kids writing out their stories and experiences.

You all will be in my prayers.
                      Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Elso & Cheryl,

Elsa -- we'll be thinking of you and praying for great success on the 12th!

And Cheryl, I told my daughter, Lizzie, about your daughter's surgery on the 28th. She did a double-take and I think it made her feel somewhat better -- knowing she is not alone. She is nervous, but like your daughter, isn't likely to talk about it. We're in the Chicago-area (GO SOX!) and she'll be having her surgery at Rush Medical Center, downtown. My neice, Lizzie's first cousin, is getting married the day after Thanksgiving, so we're grateful for that since it should keep our minds busy.

Are both of you having trouble sleeping? I'm waking up in the middle of the night, so wishing that it was all over with. We have such great confidence in Lizzie's doctor, but nevertheless, there's a lot of anxiety, isn't there?

Keep in touch, Ann

Comment

Hi all, I am reading these and just thought I would add my thoughts. I had the surgery when I was 17 and was so scared. While the recovery wasn't any fun and the following 2 weeks in the hospital were very hard.... I am so thankful I had the surgery. I had back pain for so many years and it was emotionally and physically painful wearing the brace. After the surgery my back pain all but disappeared, my back "appeared" straighter, I gained an inch in my height and I was able to be more physically active than I had in years. It was a tough road but one well worth it! Three months after my surgery I left for college and was able to walk all over campus and joined a sorority right when I got there which included alot of activity.
                          Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Mocity,

My daughter talks on spinekids. I found out about the website months before I told her about it. I was just so afraid she would read something that would upset her. She loves it now. It is so good to hear a success story. I know she will be fine.....just wish I could take her place. Our DR. trained at the Scottish Rite's hospital in Texas. Can't remember if that's in Houston or not.

Ann,

My daughter's name is Briann and we are from the Charlotte, NC (Go Panthers) area. She will have her surgery at Carolina's Medical Center with Dr. Wattenbarger. I'll have to tell her about Lizzie. Does Lizzie ever talk on Spinekids. Briann is 13 and she has found it to be a big support.

My continued prayers for all of us looking at November surgery dates.

Cheryl
                            NCM

Comment

My daughter's surgery is also going to be on Nov. 28th. We live in Oklahoma so she will have surgery here in this state. I still can't believe that it is now less than 5 weeks away. I'm really nervous for my daughter as she loves to dance and will be out for many months. I am just praying that she won't lose very much flexibility. We don't know how far the doctor is going to fuse yet as she goes in for bending x-rays on Nov. 7th.

Good luck to your daughters as well having surgery. It is a scary thing to have your child go through this major surgery, but I know it is for a better quality life and she will have a straighter back in the future.

Just wanted you all to know that you definitely aren't alone on the surgery date.

-Connie (my daughter also visits Spinekids but doesn't write very often - I wish she would write there more to get some extra support for her upcoming surgery)

Comment

Working...
                              X