Having a bad day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a bad day

I'm so sad and discouraged right now...Well I have to get revsion surgery for a broken rod, and possible pseudarthrosis. So in late September, the secretary told me and my dad that I would be receiving a call by mid october to schedule, but the call never came. So I called back-about three times- since the schedule was always pushed back and the secretary told me to. Today, I called as SHE told me, got this attitude and she kept repeting over AND over again "Dr.Ouellet only does surgery twice a month at this hospital, and I'm NOT responsible for the schedule-He is!!" I was not pushy, I just want SOME sort of idea as to when I will get surgery, since I am in pain and worried at this point about all kinds of things, like the curve coming back, basically I'm emotionally spent and freaked. Then she tells me off since my dad-a man she knows since she goes to shop at his shoe store- called her twice to know what is going on as well, he's worried about his daughter having had pain on and off and surgeries for the last ten years, I think it's normal. He's 68 and feels helpless and wants to help me how he can, I think she should understand that. Anyway I've been told that I may get the surgery late November but more hopeful in December since there are more serious cases than me, one with an infection. All I wanted was some sort of idea, and I don't understand why a person that works in the medical field can be so rude and impatient with a person, especially when I couldn't even get a word in and I kept saying sorry, at one point didn't even know what I was sorry about

Well I just wanted to talk about it and get it off my chest, and to all of you who get treated badly or who are in pain waiting to get surgery; I feel for you and hope the situation will get better for you, as for me.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Hi sweetness, I'm so sorry about your day, and your experience with the secretary. It's very frustrating when people in positions like that treat patients like that... I'm so very sorry. I can imagine your confusion, frustration, and anger. Soon, it'll be all over. These people seem to forget that the people on the other end of the phone line call because they need questions answered, fears abated... don't let her intimidate you. call as many times as you need to... She's not the one who has to live in constant pain. You call until you get an answer. It's not right, and it's definitely not fair for you to be treated that way. Know that we're here for you on this board, and our prayers are with you... I can just imagine how your dad must be feeling... just keep your head up, and be optimistic...this too shall pass.
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Sweetness,

I'm sorry to hear you are having so much pain...and then the secretary is an added pain. I have often thought it would be nice if the doctors and all the staff were previous fused Scoliosis patients. Only then, could they fully empathize with us.

Unfortunately, the old saying is true, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". Keep calling and don't let up.

Best wishes for a complete healing of your painful spine. All of us here can certainly empathize with you. Hang in there.

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Hi Sweetness,

I too am very sorry that you had to go through that!! Some people are just clueless!! I agree with the others saying to be persistent and don't give that "person" the time of day...

Hope you get your answers, soon!!

Comment

You guys are so sweet, what kind words....thank you

Monie, I often say that phrase "this too shall pass", only I prefer when the hard times have already passed hehe Thanks for taking time to post.

I know that the medical staff is very stressed here, but that's not always an excuse, especially when this secretary told me, and my dad, to call her specifically on those days we did, even gave us an hour. Oh well, maybe she feels helpless that the surgery dates are being delayed, but making me feel like such a nuisance is not nice. I have had two surgeries already(original scoliosis, and then a revision), and this is my third in 8 years, and it's the same secretary. I remember her not being oh so patient in the past either.
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I agree with you. Keep trying. Have you thought about a second opinion and another orthopedic surgeon?

I am in the medical profession and I feel stressed all the time at work. If there is a complication then my whole day and schedule is shot. Also with the insurance company regulations for billing and allowables etc. But there is no need for rudeness.

Hope your surgery will go smoothly and successfully.

Comment

Sorry you're having a bad day!

Sounds like the nurse having a bad day as well!! She really needs to remember what her job is all about and who she's dealing with. It's frusterating enough having to deal with the thought of another surgery and living daily with pain - not helpful when you have to deal with someone who should be helping you and easing your nerves is adding to the situation.

Hopefully you will be able to get your answers and possibly an apology from the office!

Take care ~

kamden55
              Last edited by kamden55; 10-22-2005, 07:41 PM. Reason: Just noticed the date of message back in April! Thought it was today Oct 22 2005!!

Comment

Thank you both.

I have seen another ortho before this one, but he's more specialized in discs, not scoliosis as much. He didn't even want me to get surgery since he thinks that taking out the rod would be way too hard, since it's been 8 years it's there, wich is nonsense IMO, and of course made me hightail outta there and get another opinion, wich is this new ortho who apparentaly is the best for scoliosis. My surgeon left town back to his native Switzerland, he was frustrated with the problems here in Canada. I wish I could have seen him. What's also frustrating is that they seem to think that a broken rod, loose screws and pseudarthrosis doesn't hurt that much, well the first year it wasn't that debilitating, but it is now Everything I do I feel either sharp pains or cracking, and popping all along my spine. What I also don't get is how this secretary says that she's not responsible for the schedule, but isn't it her job to tell me what the ortho decides and the only one I can reach? Weird I tell you. Our system is really sick here, even worse than when I had the origibal surgery 8 years ago

Hopefully I will get surgery before Christmas, that's all I can pray for.

Comment

Working...
                X