Dr. L.Lenke/ Dr. K.Bridwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. L.Lenke/ Dr. K.Bridwell

Has anyone had any experience with either surgeon out of St. Louis, Missouri?

Hi Mary Ann,

Seems that Dr. Bridwell's name comes up quite frequently on this site...and many good things said about he and Dr. Lenke. I see on your profile that you were diagnosed at age 13 and we seem to be right around the same age now with about the same degree of curvature (although I have an S curve). I am scheduled to see Dr. Bridwell on November 4. I had been seeing Dr. Ronald DeWald in Chicago for over 30 years who is one of the pioneers in this field. Dr. Keith Bridwell actually practiced under Ronald DeWald in a Spine Fellowship. From what I have read and heard, the St. Louis "team" are one of the top in the nation and you couldn't go wrong. Go on-line and enter his name and the lists of written material is endless. I am actually going to Dr. Bridwell due to insurance hell, but I am more than happy to do so...but the referring physician said quote "Dr. Bridwell is a genious." I like that!!
    Keep me posted on your findings since we're right around the same age. Have you ever had any surgery?

Sue
    48 year old Female
    3 curves...35, 56, 43
    Proud wearer of Milwaukee Brace in the 70's...and hated every minute of it.

Comment

Dr. Bridwell

I see you're from Bloomington. I graduated from IWU! Why did you switch surgeons from Dr. R. Dewalk? He is on my "list" also! Mary Ann

Comment

Mary Ann

That is funny about you graduating from IWU!!! I graduated from ISU and stayed to make it home.

I had gone to Dr. Ronald DeWald since I was 13 when the scoliosis was first discovered. I had gone back for a 2-year appointment last fall to learn that he had retired and my appointment was with his son Christopher. I really, really liked him and he had me do some PT for about 6 weeks and return to talk seriously about the surgery. That's when I realized that I had screwed up with my HMO...I was so used to just making an appointment and going that I never gave it a second thought. They denied my wishes to proceed at that point and it was a long haul trying to get resolution. Long story, short, but I had to see someone in the network that wasn't even qualified, but satisfied the proceedure. He only referrs to Bridwell and I didn't argue at that point. It's the same distance to Chicago or St. Louis for me and since R. DeWald wasn't practicing any longer, I simply wanted the best. From what I read and heard, Bridwell seemed to have more published than C. DeWald. Whew...and that was the short story.

So, where do you stand on your appointments? Take care - Sue
        48 year old Female
        3 curves...35, 56, 43

Comment

Bridwell is great

I'm getting surgery with Keith Bridwell on January 19th. I guess it helps that I live in St. Louis and didn't have to travel to see him, but many, many people do. He is that good!!!

Comment

St. Louis Doctors

Dr. Bridwell and Dr. Lenke are the top spinal doctors in the nation not just the St. Louis area just so you know. Dr. Lenke is my surgeon and has done 2 surgeries on me in the last 3 years. He is an associate of Bridwell's same office actually. Either one is great and ask a lot of questions. Good luck with the January 19th surgery. Also prepare youself a head of time for recovery it takes a while.

Dawn (Survivor)

Comment

Originally posted by survivor
              Dr. Bridwell and Dr. Lenke are the top spinal doctors in the nation
              WHere did you find information that ranked these two doctors as the best in the nation? I'm looking for this sort of information as I search out the best in my area.

Comment

I have seen that Bridwell was on the list to Top Doctors in America. Here's a URL for Lenke.

http://www.spinal-deformity-surgeon.com/
                48 year old Female
                3 curves...35, 56, 43

Comment

Wow! Great before and after photos. Unbelievable!

Kindest Regards,
                  Gail

Comment

Originally posted by survivor View Post
                    Dr. Bridwell and Dr. Lenke are the top spinal doctors in the nation not just the St. Louis area just so you know. Dr. Lenke is my surgeon and has done 2 surgeries on me in the last 3 years. He is an associate of Bridwell's same office actually. Either one is great and ask a lot of questions. Good luck with the January 19th surgery. Also prepare youself a head of time for recovery it takes a while.

Dawn (Survivor)

Hi Dawn,
                    I have been searching and see Dr. Bridwells name a lot, just wondered why you chose Dr. Lenke? How are you doing now.

Comment

Lenke

I saw Dr. Lenke last July. He was very compassionate and understanding and I have seen e3vidence of his work and it is phenomenal! Although the wait to get into see him was long and the wait for July, 2010 even longer i am confident it will be worth it. I have no reservations with him straightening me4.
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I chose Lenke too!

I also searched out the best. Dr Lenke will be doing my surgery February 3, 2010. My initial appt with him was last April--but the wait is worth it. I am from Salt Lake City and have my pre-op appt on Dec 16. None of the other spine docs I saw seemed to have the right mix of what I wanted in my surgeon. Also, a physical therapist saw me the day of my first appointment and gave me exercises to help with the kyphotic pain while I'm waiting.

Jennifer
                        age 37
                        Wore Boston Girdle and Milwaukee Brace ages 9-14 for 23 hours a day (I really did wear it--dang compliant child that I was!)
                        Double Major Scoliosis
                        Upper thoracic curve 42 deg
                        Lower Lumbar curve 48 degrees
                        Kyphosis in the junction at 56 degrees
                        Previous surgery:
                        Dec. 2008 Chiari Care Center Dr. Oro--Surgery on my Occult Tethered Cord

Comment

I appreciate the fact that you thought just as much of Dr. Lenke and Dr. Bridwell as I did. Wouldn't think you'd feel so comfortable with someone on the first visit, but this man sure acts like he knows what he's doing. Then, he breaks out the photo album of some of his previous work - OMG! I would not consider going to anyone else even with all the incapacitating pain I have going on. He was totally understanding and knew exactly what had to be done. Just not until Jul, 2010 - ugh! But, I also think it's worth the wait for him.
                          Rita Thompson
                          Age 46
                          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Working...
                          X