Thread: Pseudoarthritis

Pseudoarthritis

I have read about this on revision surgeries sites, and am not fully understanding what it is. I know that the fusion, at the beginning of recuperation can not fuse properly; but, can it fuse, and then years later get fragile and basically unfuse at some parts, therefore calling it pseudoarthritis, and/or not fusing from the start would be called pseudoarthritis as well? I don't know if I'm making sense in my question, but I don't know how to explain it better at this point Sorry for the confusion

Well, any info would be helpful, if anybody has any that I don't already have

Hi...

I'm not sure that anyone can really answer your question. Pseudarthrosis simply means that a fusion didn't take. It's not pseudarthrosis during the initial period of time, while fusion is starting. I believe it's next to impossible to actually accurately diagnose a pseudarthrosis until a rod breaks. Although not 100% reliable, a tomogram can see breaks that can't be seen or felt otherwise.

Regards,
    Linda

Ok, so it's pseudarthrosis, I'm often confused by the name hehe

Thanks for the info, I'm wondering if you mean that pseudoarthrosis means that a fusion didn't take in parts or the whole fusion(or it could different for different cases)? My Xrays did show that the curve has been stable for years. Maybe it could be some areas.

Sweetness...

It could mean one level or all levels, although I can't remember ever hearing of anyone not having ANY fusion.

--Linda