Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caitlyn getting her brace next week

Hi!

First of all thanks to all of you who responded to my questions. We have decided to try the brace and see what, if any difference it makes. We go next week to get it. I don't know much except it is a Boston brace and Caitlyn is supposed to wear it 23 hours a day. I hope she can do it. As I have said before, she is very active and I hope all of this goes ok. I have a feeling this is going to be a little overwhelming for her once she gets it. We have told her how much we support her and are here for her and how important it is for her to try the brace and maybe avoid surgery. The other problem with that is they already told us that Caitlyn would most probably end up having surgery anyway. She hasn't started growing yet (is only 12) and has a lumbar curve of 44 degrees.

Thanks again for ya'lls (can you tell I am from Texas!) input. Would welcome any guidance, advice, etc.

Kim :

Hi Kim,
    Just reading this brings me back to the very first day we picked up our son's brace. It was a very nerve racking day indeed. The first thing he said was, I can't wear this thing, I can't breath in it. Well his orthosist insisted it to be this tight. He said the tighter, the better correction of the curve. It took him three weeks to get used to the feel of it. We gently broke him into wearing it. Two hours the first day, and gradually increased it every day there after. I admit, I sometimes loosed it somewhat, when he complained, or when he ate. But when three weeks came, he was wearing it as tightly as was directed. The advice I have for you is, be as supportive as possible. But you must also be firm. If your orthosist gives you a time frame in which she should be wearing it full time, use it as a guideline. I knew we had three weeks to get used to it. So I was pretty leanient for the first three. After that, I expected him to be in it 23/7. He was very good about it too. I wish you all the best for your appointment. Take Care.
    LeaEvelyn

Comment

Kim, congratulations are making your decision! You might want to have the ortho cut breathing holes in the brace when you first get it as you live in hot Texas (hot compared to February in NC when my daughter got her brace years ago). They offered the holes to my daughter at first, then said she may want them in the summer. You may not want to wait but get them punched in when you pick it up. The forum is here if you need ideas of clothing and activities, etc., from people out there who have been there done that. My daughter played basketball and soccer actively, snow skiied, climbed climbing walls, you name it, while wearing her brace. She went slow enough to breathe easier, but preferred to do her sports activities while wearing the brace. It did take awhile to get used to bending only at the legs to pick up the baskeball, etc., but she chose to leave the brace on for sports, whenever the athletic rules allowed her to wear her brace. Off for swimming, of course, though. Again, congratulations on your decision! (My daughter was 45 degrees when she started wearing a brace, like I think you said yours is now, and I am glad we did the brace for 2 years to allow growth and slow down the curve). Kris

Comment

My daughter has been in the Boston brace now for 1.5 months. It took also 3 weeks to get to the 23/7. Initially we tried too quickly to get her into the brace and had significant rashes that would not subside without steroids and zyrtec. Go slow initially for the first couple of days until the skin can tolerate the pressure.

The first week, starting Saturday, she wore the brace for 1 hour then off 1 hour as much as tolerated. Then she progressed.
        The holes are a great idea and also the cotton thin stockinets. My daughter tolerated the Lavachol rubbing alcohol.

My daughter does not like to take her brace off for more than 30 minutes or her back hurts.

Comment

Working...
        X