I'm back - sort of!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back - sort of!

Well, folks, it seems the surgery was a success! I am much straighter and taller (get the actual numbers a week from yesterday) and much nicer to look at in the mirror. The doctor says I am recovering well; the only bad part is I am frustrated by how slow it really is. The "major surgery" part just won't stick in my brain and I keep trying to do too much or having fits of crying because I can't do what I want to.

But most of the time I keep focused on the cruise we're going on in May, and scuba diving again in August. I think having definate goals help. Oh, and lots of videos - I have become a James Bond fan :-)
    Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
    Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
    fusion T5-L3
    Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Hello

I am glad your surgery went well. It makes me happy because I will need surgery in the near future. I have similar curves to your before your surgery. Can you tell me what degree your kyphosis was and who did your surgery?

Thanks,
    Becky

Comment

I never did have a degree given for my kyphosis because it was a component of the rotation of the original upper curve. So I guess it was 44, too? (Linda, does that make sense?)

Dr. Wagner at University of Washington in Seattle did the surgery - he was wonderful. He has a grest bedside manner as well as being one of the best in the state. One of the little things he did that really helped was making the main incision a few inches longer so he didn't have to open another on to get the bone grafts from my hips.

I guess we are actually on the lower, easier to correct end of the spectrum, so that's something to look forward to. Do you have a date yet?
      Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

fusion T5-L3

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

I have a wedding planned for March and was going to wait until after then. The doctors I have seen have said I could probably wait until then. Did you take a PFT test before your surgery? I am just trying to get information.

Thanks,
        Becky

Comment

I never did have a degree given for my kyphosis because it was a component of the rotation of the original upper curve. So I guess it was 44, too? (Linda, does that make sense?)
          Nope. They either never measured your kyphosis, or didn't give you the measurement.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by whitney81180
            I have a wedding planned for March and was going to wait until after then. The doctors I have seen have said I could probably wait until then. Did you take a PFT test before your surgery? I am just trying to get information.

Thanks,
            Becky
            I did take a pulmonary function test; I registered above normal for a healthy person :-) They thought it was from years of playing the flute and piccolo (pays to be a band geek, I guess...). How is yours?

Congrats on your wedding! I waited on my surgery for my 5th wedding anniversary vacation.

fusion T5-L3

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS on getting through your surgery with successful results!

I too was frustrated at the slow speed, but did get excited over each little step. That helped. The "oh my gosh, I couldn't do that last week" moments were great! I do remember the crying alot though, mostly out of frustration, not from pain...it does get easier and you do get over it, but it's tough when you're wanting to be normal again. Little things like putting your shoes on can send you right over the edge!

I'm glad you have your cruise to focus on. My hubby and I are going to DisneyWorld in Dec. and having that to look forward to really helped me get through everything. I'm very optimistic about being able to walk the parks and ride some of the rides.

Wishing you continued success in your recovery!

Comment

Thanks! It's good to know I'm not the only one crying :-) My pain is waaaaay less than before the surgery, in fact it has been since the first week! The only thing that hurts is my siatica (sp?) which they thought would go away but hasn't.

Have fun at Disneyworld!

fusion T5-L3

Comment

I wish I knew just how much of an emotional toll it was all going to take on me. I knew it was going to be different and difficult, but didn't know how much of an affect it was all going to have on me. I was very active and independent prior to surgery so those first few months of relying on others, having a walker and using the grabber for help, were really difficult for me. There were days where I would just ask over and over again why I did this to myself and just wished for one more day as my old self. I did not have pain prior to surgery and didn't have much after either. It was more a matter of not being able to do the things I did prior to surgery and not feeling like my normal self. Simple things like leaning down to pet the dog were out of the question and when I dropped something on the floor, the fact that I had to stop and think about how I was going to pick it up was really tough for me.

Luckily, I'm well past that now and doing amazingly well in my recovery! Obviously, there are things I can't do like I used to, but you really do learn to adjust and it all becomes second nature.

Comment

Working...
                  X