No announcement yet.

My Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Sue... I found some more that I posted soon after... changed the entire post actually. Well, still waiting on my sister to bring me those pictures... For some reason, I think she's stalling...Either I looked a lot worse than I thought, or something happened to them. I'm hoping it's not the latter...I'll give her a call tomorrow, and hopefully, I should have them posted shortly after.
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Monie,

You are one busy girl lately - I just read the newest additions this morning. It is so encouraging to hear that you are not in the pain you once were. I had to laugh (outloud actually) when you talked about walking through the mall without wanting to lay down and cry...and waking up in the morning feeling like you've been hit with a baseball bat. You nailed it. My daughter and I are heading to Las Vegas on Nov. 10 and I am so worried about how I will make it through the trip. We went last spring and it was bad, but I have gotten worse since then so I am not looking forward to all the walking. Ouch!

Hope you can get the pictures from your sister soon! Have a great day...

Sue
      48 year old Female
      3 curves...35, 56, 43
      Proud wearer of Milwaukee Brace in the 70's...and hated every minute of it.

Comment

Hi Monie,

I'm so amazed by your recovery and how your curves have been reduced, especially reading all the pain you were in before, you deserve a pain free life

I have a few questions to ask if you don't mind...Are you still on pain meds and if so what are they? Did they take the fusion from your hip(iliac crest), and what veretebreas are your fused from(from wich one to wich one)? Also, are you wearing a brace? Sorry for all the questions
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Sweetness... thanks for the kind words.. No, I don't mind the questions... I look forward to questions. I'm usually just at home doing nothing...

Ok, am I still on pain meds? Well, I hardly take them anymore... I usually just stick to the basic over the counter stuff now when I need them. I was sent home with about 80 Oxycontins, 40 Percocets, and 40 Baclofens (muscle relaxers). The directions said to take the Oxycontins twice a day, the percocets as needed, and the Baclofens three times a day as needed. I take the Oxycontins occasionally. Usually only at night. The Percocets, rarely, and the Baclofens, when I have the spasms. That's it. I'm driving now, so I try not to take any of those. At all. I usually just take Aleve or Ibuprofen. They seem to work fine.

Did they take the fusion from my hip? No, they didn't. What vertebreaes am I fused from? I'm not sure. He told me once, but I forgot right after. I have to see him on the 3rd, and I'll get that information then. Like I said on the blog, I'll also have a picture of my X-rays. (Before and After).

Am I wearing a brace? No, I'm not. He said I didn't need one. Again, don't apologize for asking questions. It gives me stuff to do. Thanks for paying attention, and thanks for reading my blog... If there are any other questions I can help with, please do ask... Monie

27 Years Old

Comment

scar

Your scar looks about as healed as mine, and I've been "done" almost exactly a month longer! Your back is going to look great once it heals all the way :-)

Looking forward to summer and bikinis? I know I am! (Just got back from swimming laps in a racing suit - pretty much all open back - and no one said anything I'm sooooooooooo happy!)
            Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
            Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
            fusion T5-L3
            Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Ok, thanks for replying I also was off the meds after about a month.

I do remember the hip pain being almost as bad-if not worse than the back pain, you're lucky to not have that. It was so hard to walk or sit just b/c of it, really bad pain.
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hey Sweetness, you know, I heard about that... (the hip pain)... I was glad that I didn't have that either. When I first got home from the hospital though, I called my doctor to confirm that I really didn't, because I had this really bad pain in my hip that I couldn't understand... It hurt really really bad... turned out to be my sciatic nerves... Phew, my gosh did that hurt!

I've updated my blog again, so feel free to check it out... just a quick note... thanks guys..

Monie

27 Years Old

Comment

Your Story

I just loved your story from Wal Mart....I even got goosebumps! That was so funny and the way you tell it and built it up...once again I could picture the whole thing...the isles in WalMart - him, you...too funny. That was absolutely just what you needed and there's a reason that he was there - an devine intervention just for you!

Sue
                  48 year old Female
                  3 curves...35, 56, 43

Comment

Thanks Sue... lol. That day made my whole week! lol... I'm glad you were able to sort of 'picture' it... I felt like I had just acted out a scene in a movie... *sigh*...

Thanks for reading my posts Sue... I really do appreciate it!
                    27 Years Old

Comment

Originally posted by monie
                      Hey Sweetness, you know, I heard about that... (the hip pain)... I was glad that I didn't have that either. When I first got home from the hospital though, I called my doctor to confirm that I really didn't, because I had this really bad pain in my hip that I couldn't understand... It hurt really really bad... turned out to be my sciatic nerves... Phew, my gosh did that hurt!

I've updated my blog again, so feel free to check it out... just a quick note... thanks guys..

Monie

Oh yeah, the great sciatica, right now it's really bugging me, I have been having for the last few days and it is mostly in my butt region Always something knew...

I read your blog, what a cool story, my jaw dropped a few times, like you say just like in a movie Can't wait to see your before and after X rays. Do you want to be a writer? You're good

Do you know where he took the bone graft from, maybe the ribs?

Comment

Hey Sweetness... sorry about the sciatica... that really stinks... you're right; always something new... If its not one thing, it's definitely another... had a 'really' crappy weekend... terrible actually. Hurting everywhere... had to spend most of it in bed... I still feel sort of crappy. Times like this almost make you forget the really good days... I've been having to remind myself over and over that somedays are just better than others. *sigh*...

Regarding the blog... thanks for checking it out... I 'would' like to write someday, but I think I'm far from where I need to be for it... I've wanted to do that since I was a little girl... I think I need to take classes or something though... I take writing so personally, that I think if I wrote a crappy book, I'd be ruined for life... lol

The bone graft... hmm, you know, I don't think he took a bone graft... Actually, I'm quite sure of that. I had asked him at the Pre-Op appt, and he had mentioned that he wouldn't be doing that... I also don't have any other scars or anything like that, so I'm certain he didn't... I have my Post-Op on Thursdsay... I'll confirm with him that he didn't, and ask him why...

Well, thats that for now... I again have to return to my bed... It's amazing that as crappy as I feel, I still get out of bed to check my email, and the forum... Thanks guys.
                        27 Years Old

Comment

Hey Monie...

You know you're doing so well, I actually couldn't even sit in a car after at least 6 weeks post op, me and my hubby(then fiance) used to go out for some car runs and get take out while I was almost lying in the passenger's seat, that was our date for that first month after surgery, LOL...McDonald's it was. So you being able to drive, it's amazing

What happened for me, I was(and have been ALL my life) an insomniac, so the nights I'd sleep ok I'd have a good day and the ones I barely did were horrible. I remember after the four/five months mark having great days and after a few days the pulling of the curve wanting to come back was terrible, so it's normal you feel this way.

Take it easy, and I am curious to find out how he fused you, if you don't mind asking him
                          Last edited by sweetness514; 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Hey guys.. so my appointment got cancelled... I have to call today to reschedule... I"m extremely disappointed! So unfair! I was hoping to see my doctor today... well, I'll call and find out when my next appointment is... *sigh*... hey, you know, I was wondering if anyone ever checked out this blog: http://scolioticnerve.blogspot.com/ It's pretty cool, and before my surgery, I practically lived on it... she too had the fusion in March, and she too documented it step by step... she even has pictures. I thought you guys might want to check it out... she's really cool.

Oh, I updated mine as well, so feel free to check it out...thanks guys.

Monie
                            27 Years Old

Comment

I apologize

I got an email from someone responding to something I had asked on my blog. The email stated that I should be ashamed of myself for 'glamourizing' scoliosis surgery the way that I do, and that I was giving people the wrong idea about it. She mentioned that I make it seem as though there are absolutely no risks involved with having the procedure done. I'm posting this here because she mentioned that she too is a regular on here (NSF Forum). Well, I just wanted to apologize to anyone at all that I might have offended with my posts. It was not my intention to 'glamourize' the surgery (I didn't even know that I was doing this), and I thought that most people knew the risks involved... I was just sharing my story... I'm thinking I might put a disclaimer on my blog stating this. Again, I apologize... it was not my intention to mislead or offend.
                              27 Years Old

Comment

Monie

Hi Monie, hope you are doing well. I just read your post and I felt bad that you had a negative response about your posts. I found what you have said on the forum and on your blog so helpful for those of us contemplating the surgery. I know that not everyone has the excellent outcome that you have had, but that doesn't mean that sharing it should be negative. The way that you write so creatively and all the time you have put into it, is wonderful and I thank you. I know that the road that you've taken certainly has not been pain free. Just keep up the good work and hope you are feeling better each day.

Sue
                                48 year old Female
                                3 curves...35, 56, 43

Comment

Working...
                                X