Postop bracing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postop bracing

I would really like to hear from anybody who has the TSLO plastic brace like I do. It pretty much covers my whole back with velcro on the sides and is totally obnoxious. I can't lay down in it while on my back for long periods of time.. It is rigid. Has anyone dealt with this before? I have heard it is best postop to recover laying down as much as possible, but I have also heard to be walking and sitting is good, but with this brace it is hard to sit, and I don't want to lay down all day. Anybody recovered from a back surgery who has been through this? I am 3 weeks postop and going crazy in my brace. It is so puffy around the middle. It was premeasured after my surgery with a plaster mold so it is the size orderred.
    Judyk

Hi Judy...

Post op braces for adults are usually meant to be worn only when out of bed. Did your surgeon specifically tell you to keep it on when you lie down? Patients are often very bloated after surgery. In those cases, the braces should be altered or remade so that they still fit snuggly.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda for your reply. I was told not to sleep in it, only to wear it when up walking or sitting. It does seem a little big--I have lost about 10 pounds since my surgery 3 weeks ago. If a new one is made or prescribed I wonder if insurance would pay for it. Judy K

Comment

Judy - I had to wear a post-op brace that sounds like yours (hard moulded plastic) for the first 6 months - felt v unfair as loads of people on this site got permission to stop wearing theirs much sooner (but I'm and oldie). The first month or two were really really uncomfortable, and I couldn't wait to get out of the brace - like you I had to wear it all the time except when lying down, and sitting was really uncomfortable at first. However, for me this was to do with the general weakness of my muscles, which made the whole back flop on to the plastic edges... It might work to ask if softer linings can be put in, it helped me a tiny bit. But main thing was time - as the muscles became stronger the brace became more comfortable, until by the time I could take it off it was really comfortable and I didn't want to!

But you could have it checked to see if it is still doing its job OK if you are worried - but 3 weeks post-op is no time, most people are really uncomfortabel then but it does get better!

Comment

Brace post-op

Juddy:
          If I remember correctly, you are Dr. Shelokov's patient ,as I am. You have
          been ordered this brace bercause your surgery is more extensive-this was the answer I was given when I complained about the monster. Other patients have beautiful open,leather covered metal. But their operations were not as big as ours and don't need the "big guy plastic monster". At four or five months you will lose the brace totally and get the "laser halo"( if your insurance company will cover it). This, you will wear "any" four hours a day for the next nine months. The laser halo is one the new pieces of equipment
          which helps the metal fuse to the bone. As far as the plastic brace, I did not
          wear it to the bathroom, at about 2 1/2 months I would go to the kitchen without it get coffee, by three months I was only wearing it outside . I was very careful at home, and did no bending. If your plastic brace hurts or rubs,
          another patient and I decided to operate on ours, carving out the bottom of the back which proved to be uncomfortable. Kathleen

J

Comment

brace "monster"

Thanks for the replies. I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and just concentrate on getting stronger. I think I will name my brace, something with a monster-type name. It sure helps knowing that others have been through similar experiences.

In addition, for 4 hours a day I wear a bone growth stimulator over the brace, which is just one more thing to deal with. I don't feel it or anything other than the fact that it puts extra weight onto the brace. Mine is electromagnetic and my doctor says I will need to wear it 6 to 9 months, for 4 hours a day. YIKES! Anyone out there dealt with a bone growth stimulator before?

Judyk

Comment

Judy,

Yes, I wear a bone growth stimulator...Medtronic. I am 8 months and change and I wear it four hours a day (or night). One month to go!

At first, when I was around the home a lot after surgery, I just put it on in the morning and got it over with...now I find that it is most convenient to just put it on at night and sleep with it on. It doesn't even wake me up any more when it beeps that it is done!

To avoid the risk of a "do-over" I think wearing it is well worth it...they have had excellent results with those that use them. There was no argument with the insurance company to cover it, so I assume it is well accepted for use in revision cases.

Good healing, Cam

Comment

Working...
              X