No announcement yet.

Short Segment Bone on Bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you to those who commented on my book. I always appreciate the feedback!

Regarding Renee’s last post, I completely understand your hesitation to want anything other than a tried-and-true procedure performed on your son. If I were in your situation, I may do the same. Dr. Akbarnia, by the way, is very well regarded.

To reiterate a point in my previous post, though, this procedure really isn’t “new.” Dr. Gaines and several other surgeons have been performing it for at least three years, in hundreds of cases, and more importantly the bone-on-bone procedure involves smaller surgical procedures that have been performed thousands of times over. What’s really new is the application of some of these techniques to treating scoliosis, specifically.

For those unfamiliar with Dr. Gaines’ technique, let me outline the basics:

1. The anterior approach (from the side) is used. The advantage here is better access to the vertebral discs, and a less noticeable scar after surgery (because it is partially masked by your arm). The disadvantage is that a rib may need to be removed and a lung deflated – this is generally more risky than a standard posterior (from the back) approach.

2. The surgeon will only operate on a small number of vertebrae around the apex (peak) of your curve. On your x-ray, you will see 1 or 2 vertebrae that appear to be the most out of alignment. This is the apex. Several vertebrae above and below this level will also be out of alignment, by decreasing amounts the farther away you move from the apex. Most surgeons operate on (fuse and instrument) all or most of these misaligned vertebrae. In b-o-b, only the apex and 1-3 vertebrae each above and below the apex will be addressed. The other vertebrae will fall into alignment.

3. The discs in this small group of vertebrae will be completely removed. In traditional posterior surgeries, the discs are usually left in-place and fused over with bone grafts. In this technique, there are no bone grafts. With the discs removed, the vertebrae will be squeezed together so that they sit on top of each other. This is what “bone on bone” refers to. Without the discs in the way, a generally higher level of correction is achievable because the vertebrae can be brought into tighter alignment. Your body will grow new bone over the small gaps and fuse on its own.

4. Instruments (rods or cages) are placed above the vertebrae to stabilize them while healing. Very strong pedicle screws with two screws per unit are generally used to affix the rods to the vertebrae.

5. After surgery, an epidural catheter is placed directly into the spine for pain control. The catheter provides a steady flow of a narcotic. Dr. Gaines claims this is far more effective than an IV or oral narcotics. Time in the hospital is 5-14 days, which is higher than the more typical 5-8 days for more traditional surgeries.

6. A brace is usually prescribed for 6-8 weeks. Most surgeons do not prescribe a brace for their patients after more traditional surgeries.

I hope this helps!

Dave Wolpert

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for explaining the procedure in simpler terms. The decision on the when, where and by whom to have surgery done is such a highly personal one. I wish everyone the best in their decision making. I do like the fact that Dr. Akbarnia does surgeries at Children's Hosp. & I have run across his name a few times in my "research". I probably will call him for a consultation as it certainly won't hurt to look into a new approach, and I will be researching up until the day my son has surgery anyway....

Cheryl, in your case I would probably feel more at ease being that Dr. Gaines developed this technique and HE has performed many surgeries of this type already. He seemed very nice in his e-mail to me. Let us know how things progress in your situation.

Take Care,

Renee

Comment

Anterior twist

Unless I am missing something, isn’t this short segment bone-on-bone technique just another name for anterior surgery? The only differences being the addition of staples to the standard two segmented rods and the fact that no grafting material is added between the vertebrae if the surgeon deems unnecessary. Although there are many advantages and disadvantages to be considered regarding anterior surgery, the main advantage is that fewer vertebras need to be fused. The surgeon will know best, but be aware that the amount of kyphosis will be greatly increased in the fused area. Our daughter was not a candidate for this type of surgery because her thoracic kyphosis was near the upper end of the normal range.

Mark
        Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
        Daughter 15 years old
        Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
        Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
        After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

A few issues here.

The number of vertebrae fused in the SSBOB procedure is typically much less than in a standard anterior approach. A few short years ago, the relatively new anterior approach was believed to be superior over the more time-tested posterior approach because fewer vertebrae needed to be fused. But, with time, advances in posterior techniques and better instrumentation closed the gap. Today, anterior approach surgeries usually involve fusing only 1 or 2 fewer vertebrae than a posterior approach. The SSBOB procedure usually involves fusing only HALF as many vertebrae as in a posterior approach, and probably 1/2 - 2/3 as many as a typical anterior approach--that's a big difference.

The other big difference is that the level of correction achieved through a typical anterior approach isn't significantly better than that achieved through posterior approaches (in most cases). I don't know the exact stats, but in general SSBOB will get a better correction than a standard anterior approach.

I can't comment on your point about kyphosis, as I simply don't know.

Dave Wolpert

Comment

I agree that the introduction of pedicle screws has somewhat closed the gap in the number of vertebrae fused between anterior and posterior approaches, but most doctors are now fusing selectively regardless of technique so there still is a significant difference. For adolescents, many surgeons will only fuse five vertebrae to correct substantial curves using standard anterior approaches. If better correction could be achieved by fusing only three vertebrae using the bone-on-bone method, that would be great. As was described in the earlier post, the discs between the vertebrae are removed entirely in any type of anterior procedure, hence the increased flexibility and correction. Perhaps the additional increased flexibility claimed in the bone-on-bone technique is derived from the fact that there is no bone graft taking up space between the vertebrae. I would seek opinions for both types of anterior procedures before proceeding.

Mark
            Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
            Daughter 15 years old
            Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
            Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
            After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

Dave.
              Thank you so much for your description of the bone-on-bone procedure. Although fusion won't be an issue for us for quite some time (my son is only 4 years old, and has the VEPTR or titanium rib), I am always interested in hearing about new spinal corrective procedures. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it, in a way that I can understand.
              Regards,
              Cathy

Comment

Hi...

There was quite a bit of discussion about this technique at last week's Scoliosis Research Society annual meeting. What I got from the comments is that many physicians feel that this technique will lead to an increased kyphosis. Obviously, no one will know for some years, but it's something to consider if you're thinking of undergoing this technique.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

Thanks for sharing the info. Can you give specifics as to why the physicians felt b-on-b might lead to increased kyphosis? While I am no longer considering this as an option for my child currently facing surgery, I want to educate myself as much as possible as I have 2 other children who may someday need treatment, and I hope I can also one day be of some help to others who are going through this process.

Renee

Comment

Hi Renee...

Since discs are removed, the front part of the spine is shortened, but the back of the spine is not. If you look at the drawing here:

http://www.spineuniversity.com/image...nns_normal.gif

Hopefully you can see what would happen to the spine if the 4 discs were to be removed.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda,

You are helpful, as always...!

Renee

Comment

Working...
                      X