crank shaft phenomonom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank shaft phenomonom?

Hi, I am 32 years old, was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 4, had my first surgery at 13 years of age. I still have a 79 degree curve in my spine and was told that when they fused my lower spine that only half of it was fused so as i continued to grow, my spine continued to curve, but only on the one side that wasnt fused, which is called a crank shaft phenomonom. My doctor said there isnt much they can do about this. Has any-one heard of this? If so is there anything that can be done about it? Thank-you
    Shelley
    British Columbia

Shelley,
    Yea, I've heard of it. My son had to have two surgerys for his scoliosis. The second surgery was labeled a revision surgery. I have also read somewhere, that this type of surgery can be done for crankshafting. It is where the orginal fussion has to be cut through and the spine rebalanced. I wish I could remember where I was reading this, anyway, it said that one must take care to get someone who specializes in this type of surgery, as it is rather risky. A good website is the Scoliosis Research Society, from there you should get other good links. Good Luck to you. If I remember where I found this info, I'll pass it along.
    LeaEvelyn

Comment

Shelley,
      Hi. I found the information. Here is the page, it is on orthospine.com. Type in http://www.orthospine.com/tutorial/revision_fusion.html , this will bring you right to the correct page where I found the information. My son also needed revision surgery, that is why I did research on it. I'm not sure where in Canda you are from, but I know of two surgeons in the Detroit area, in Michigan, who specializes in adult scoliosis and revision surgery. If you would like some info on them, I can pass it along to you. Take Care, and I hope this has helped you some.
      LeaEvelyn

Comment

Thank-you

Thank-you so much Leaevelyn, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who knew or heard about crankshafting. Ive had a hard time finding any information on it. The site was helpful and if you ever hear anything else about it I would love to know. Thanks again and if theres any information you would like to ask me, i will try and help. Shelley

Comment

Hey Shelley,
          I'm so glad you found this site helpful. I know I have read more about crankshafting somewhere else. Again, if I come across it, I'll pass it on to you. Thanks for your offer of help to me too. Right now I can't think of anything to ask you, but if I do, I'll post it for you. Hey, I just thought of something. Can you bring up a search engine on your computer, and type in scoliosis-crankshafting? Maybe that can bring some sites to you. My son is now six months post op, and is doing wonderful. What state, from the United States, are you close to? I'm not real sure of your location in Canada. I take it doctors there won't help you? Take Care
          LeaEvelyn

Comment

Working...
          X