not normal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not normal??

Hello. After my surgery I've noticed that my left arm no longer hangs to my side like it used to. That and my shoulder blade is sticking out further than what it did prior to the surgery. There is now a 6" gap between my elbow area and my side when I have my arms hanging down. It is very noticeable now, and I'm scared that it won't ever look normal! It was never like this before the surgery, and I'm wondering what can be done to fix it! I'm almost to the point to where I want to duct-tape my arm to my side to try and fix this. Also, what could be causing this to happen! Thanks
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

If you have movement but it just won't hang properly naturally, try phisotherapy or something like rolfing. Its probably just that your muscles are protesting a bit at their new position and need a bit of help to get into their correct position.

Hope this is a help
    Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
    Post op 30(T)/33(L)
    http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey
      A usual thing for scoliosis is for your shoulders and hips are uneven, i didnt really have that too much before surgery, but after it was really noticable. My Doctor did tell me that it would be more noticable because your body is like trying to compensate. Its still not been that long since you had surgery, so there is a good possibility that you will straighten back out. Good Luck!!

Abby
      18 year old female
      scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
      corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
      After second surgery, fusion was a success.
      Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
      Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

It's possible that your surgeon over corrected you. Or, maybe it's something like swelling that will go down. When is your next post-op appointment? If it's too far into the future, you might want to ask that it be moved up. Whatever is going on, it's almost certainly not an emergency, but it would be nice to know what's going on for your mental health. :-)

Whatever you do, do not try physio or anything else not approved by your surgeon.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Could it be skin hanging? My right side has loose skin that is hanging a bit since the old curve stretched it.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

my skin looks normal. there's no hanging it's just that I look like I'm doing the "i'm a little teapot" the way my left arm hangs down Well, as for an appointment, my next checkup is on the 18th of November. It's really bothersome, I'm sure other people have noticed, but haven't said anything to me yet, my husband knows it there also. Also, when I feel my ribs, they don't feel 'even' it's still as if one side is sticking out further than the other! Thank you all for your advice. I hope the appt on the 18th isn't too far away. My doctor is always so busy with other patients and surgery it's hard to get an appt in. I'm not going to try anything my doctor won't let me do. I don't want to break a rod or tear out a screw.
            25 yr old female =^_^=
            Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
            Lumbar curve 23 degrees
            surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
            Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

My ribs on the left front still stick out more than the right side. My doctor said the only way to fix it would be to do alot of cutting on the ribs. They have grown this way for so long. Can't help you on the arm thing. Sorry!
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

No Worries!

Im almost positive it doesnt look as bad as it looks to you...after all YOU are your worst critic...When I had my surgery, my curve was so bad that they couldnt correct it all the way and the whole left side of my back still has a hump in it...It looks HORRIBLE to me, but no one else has ever noticed it, only that I have GREAT posture (and i never tell why...shh thats my secret ) Anyhoo...my hips are also way out of line..one goes in far more than the other so i am VERY picky about the pants i wear...Does anyone else have this problem>? I cant do the low rise jeans because they always feel like they are gonna fall off!
                23 year old female..Surgical correction done in 1995 at 12 years old..rods and pins from top to bottom..Corrections from 65 degrees on top to 33 degrees and 40 degrees on bottom to 19 degrees.

Comment

I too had a problem with my arm, my right shoulder actually. I was unable to move my shoulder at all, so my arm just hung there and I had no control over it. I also had the "little teapot" syndrome. I couldn't even lift my arm to eat...so I taught myself how to eat left-handed. (it's amazing what you'll do when you have to!) I had OT 2-3 times/week at home after leaving the hospital and it took months for it to feel normal again. I'm still throwing like a girl though and having 3 big brothers, I never threw like a girl!

I also felt that my right ribcage stuck out further than my left rib cage, but that's all even now and I leaned the opposite of how I leaned prior to surgery, but now, no leaning. My extremely protruding right shoulder...it looks no different than my left now. It took a few months for everything to settle into place and I really think that the OT helped a lot.

Talk to your surgeon and see if there's anything that he/she can offer to help you out. My surgeon was very much of the 'just do your normal everyday activities and you'll be back good as new" mentality, but even he realized that not every case is that simple and he was willing to prescribe the OT and PT for me. Good luck and know that there are others out there who have had similar issues and have come out of it just fine!

Comment

Working...
                  X