surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery

ok im not sure if im posting rite but i have to say the surgery seems like a total waste. the pain is unbearaable. i find myself taking htese pain pills which make me high yet the pain only slightly dims. its just crazy. it feels worse then when i first got out of the hospital. i dont kno what to do.
    there is worse pain than yours

Arwen,

Sorry to hear you're in such pain. How long has it been since you had surgery? Often the pain is worst a few weeks after surgery, more so than when you're in the hospital. It does get better, but it may take some time.

Also, you should be aware that some people just don't respond well to certain (or all!) narcotic painkillers. If you haven't already, you should talk to your surgeon or his/her assistant about trying different drugs, combinations of drugs, or dosages and frequencies. A little controlled experimentation along these lines often helps.

Dave

Comment

yeah i had the surgery like 6 months ago and the pain has only gotten worse.

Comment

Arwen...

If the pain is worse, you first need to determine if your activity level is the cause of that increase. If it's not, then there is almost certainly something wrong. When are you scheduled to see your surgeon?

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thats the wierd thing is i dont do any sports or activities. the only thing i do is go up and down stairs all day and i can t prevent it cuz its for school. so i really dont kno. im also nottoo sure when i see my doc next.

Comment

Hi
            I know from the experiences of those of us that have had the surgery, we've all got obviously different persepectives about it. First let me just say that this surgery is not a total waste. Eventually, if someone who needs the surgery done (because their scoliosis curves are getting extremely bad), and they DO NOT have the surgery, they will in the end be crippled. That's what scoliosis curves would eventually do to your body, and I'm sure as you know since you've been through it, the doctors will tell you that you would eventually have respiratory problems, etc. So just trust it wasn't a waste...
            On the other hand, if it's been 6 months since your surgery, and you're still hurting THAT bad, there definitely may be something wrong, also considering you mentioned it's not the result of activity, b/c you said you don't play any sports. After this kind of surgery, we are all going to hurt for the rest of their lives. That's just how it is. We've got to fathom what we've gone through. But we also all have different pain tolerances. I know for myself, I was named "Toughest Patient" at the Children's Hospital that I had my surgery done at, which made me see the positive side of things. I came home, and sure I was sore, but I just managed, and now I'm feeling SO much better. It does get better, it's been 3 months since mine. I am sorry to hear though that you're still hurting that bad after 6 months, and a bit concerned. Definitely check with your parents, or whoever, and schedule an appointment with your surgeon so he/she can take some x-rays or see what exactly is going on. I don't know what else to tell you. Good luck though.
            "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
            "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Working...
            X