This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    The developer's grandson tried for more than a decade and with tens of thousands of patients to make it work. He admitted he failed, admitted PT can't control curvature, and uses braces now.

I was recently outraged to hear a pediatric orthopedic surgeon on Doctor Radio (SiriusXM) state that it works and people should check it out. I am going to write what I wrote here on the FB page about this ignorant misinformation and email the host of that program (a physiatrist) about the bad info. I am going to cc the medical director of Doctor Radio about it also. Complete nonsense.
    It's very sad, but I'm very grateful for your post. I commend your behaviour about the misleading info, I think that's what everyone should do, once we find some misleading abuser who takes advantage of all these grey areas scoliosis has around it we should do what we can (which is very little, unfortunately) to let them know someone is watching and vigilant..

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
      Has anyone got any kind of benefit from the Schroth book only? I can't even understand the rotational breathing let alone the exercises.. what's the point of that book I wonder.. so far the only thing I understood is that I shouldn't sleep on my rib hump :/
      Coincidently I was yesterday asking for someone understanding what they said in this book. The considered Nš 1 physiatrist in my country said me about it: 'If it's dificult for me to understand it, I don' want to imagine what it could be for you!'

Comment

I see. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having troubles understanding it, if there is anything to understand, that is.
        Guys, do not buy this book, it can be found for free online in pdf, let's not give these people the satisfaction.

Comment

Yes, I think is similar to read an engineering paper without any maths background. I think they are physiatrists or something similar. Weiss wrote another book for lay people as he said. I always forget to try to get it.
          This was the first scoliosis book I have bought years ago, I really think it's a very much logic methd, is not really symetric, something having much sense. I was close to carry my daughter to the Barcelona Rigo's clinic, I talked a lot with him, he seemed to be a really wise and good man.

Comment

I have done a great deal of research into the studies done with this method. I'm in the medical field and know how to read the medical terms, statistical analyses, research methodology used, etc. I was very, very hesitant to give any validity to this method that seemed so strange. However, with all that I have learned, and now experienced by being treated with the scroth method, I do believe in it more. I still have some doubts (as I'm trained to as a scientist), but there are definite positive results for many people. I have seen 2 schroth providers and it is nothing like any kind of physical therapy you have ever done. It's a completely different way of using your body to work with the spinal and muscular distortions we have. In my opinion, there isn't much else out there to try to prevent things from deteriorating (I.e. Curves worsening). If there is a chance this may work, it's worth trying it. I don't think it's possible to do it without a Schroth trained person helping. It's way too complicated and very targeted to each persons unique issues. Just my 2 cents.
            T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
            10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
            Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
            At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
            Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
            Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
            Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
              I talked a lot with him, he seemed to be a really wise and good man.
              I think that's a common trait with these doctors, even more so if they 'promote' a not so widespread technique.
              I don't want to put everyone in the same basket especially as schroth has a clinic and so on, but for instance I spoke with these two guys in my country a few years ago
              https://www.facebook.com/nicola.pica.1?fref=ts
              http://www.correttiva.it/risultati/
              they both claimed to significantly and permanently reduce curvatures in scoliosis patients, and on paper they seem nice people, they probably are, one of them told me he doesn't even want money.. how are we supposed to know the right path God knows, I just wish in 2015 things were more clear-cut when it comes to scoliosis but we're still here wondering what's real and what's bull**it..

Comment

In general, when you have a bunch of different treatments, none of them work. If one of them worked there wouldn't be a bunch. So in the field of PT for scoliosis there is Schroth, yoga, torso rotation, chiro nonsense, and one million other options. It is no wonder the position of the SRS is that PT remains unproven.

We had several people using PT with their children who were on the group. Only one (Dingo) faithfully reports back the results every year. The rest are gone. If they were successful I hope them come back here and report it. Otherwise it looks like another bunch of failures of PT. That is consistent with the many options out there pointing to none of them working.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

In general, when you have a bunch of different treatments, none of them work. If one of them worked there wouldn't be a bunch. So in the field of PT for scoliosis there is Schroth, yoga, torso rotation, chiro nonsense, and one million other options.
                  Or may be that all or much of them only works in specific and different cases.
                  We had several people using PT with their children who were on the group. Only one (Dingo) faithfully reports back the results every year. The rest are gone. If they were successful I hope them come back here and report it.
                  I'm in touch with some of them and I'm sure they will never come back, regardless the outcomes they may obtain as surely all the people looking for a non surgical option who left this forum because not wanting to enter in an steril war.

Comment

Originally posted by ksmom0611 View Post
                    I have done a great deal of research into the studies done with this method. I'm in the medical field and know how to read the medical terms, statistical analyses, research methodology used, etc. I was very, very hesitant to give any validity to this method that seemed so strange. However, with all that I have learned, and now experienced by being treated with the scroth method, I do believe in it more. I still have some doubts (as I'm trained to as a scientist), but there are definite positive results for many people. I have seen 2 schroth providers and it is nothing like any kind of physical therapy you have ever done. It's a completely different way of using your body to work with the spinal and muscular distortions we have. In my opinion, there isn't much else out there to try to prevent things from deteriorating (I.e. Curves worsening). If there is a chance this may work, it's worth trying it. I don't think it's possible to do it without a Schroth trained person helping. It's way too complicated and very targeted to each persons unique issues. Just my 2 cents.
                    Did you read the book?. I have not medical training and I'm never sure to be really understanding what they says, Surely it was written by physiatrists although trainers are not as I know. One member of this forum said me she prefered Schroth because is not symetric as others as Yoga. I wish someday to have it in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
                      I think that's a common trait with these doctors, even more so if they 'promote' a not so widespread technique.
                      I don't want to put everyone in the same basket especially as schroth has a clinic and so on, but for instance I spoke with these two guys in my country a few years ago
                      https://www.facebook.com/nicola.pica.1?fref=ts
                      http://www.correttiva.it/risultati/
                      they both claimed to significantly and permanently reduce curvatures in scoliosis patients, and on paper they seem nice people, they probably are, one of them told me he doesn't even want money.. how are we supposed to know the right path God knows, I just wish in 2015 things were more clear-cut when it comes to scoliosis but we're still here wondering what's real and what's bull**it..
                      Certainly it was not much common for me in these years to find proffesionals so humans as Dr. Rigo is. He is a worldwide recognized Dr., having not any need of a really extense chat with me as he had.
                      To know what kind of persons they are, I ask them scoliosis questions that nobody in the world seems to be able to answer. If they look misplaced or offended I think they are hidding something. And to judge the method I try to understand the principles behind them and analyze how much reasonable or not they are.

Comment

regardless the outcomes they may obtain
                        If they were successful they would have come back to say so.

You are really making them look bad if they are successful and not sharing what worked. Are you really saying they are that selfish? Just because this forum is "sterile" they will deny information on how to successfully avoid surgery with PT? Is that right? Do you realize how irrational that sounds?

You are in touch with some of them. Have they been successful?
                        Last edited by Pooka1; 07-17-2015, 09:52 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

To have some succesful is not a guarantee of a cure. If it would be some kind of succesful assuring it and they would achieve it, surely they'd say it here and in every site. They are normal people with emotions, feelings and they want the best for them or their loved ones, so they need to trust in what they are doing and to think that any success, few or much significant is something really good encouraging them to follow in the same path. So any normal and good person would have not any problem to understand how much negative would be to read negative comments, doubts, reasonings trying to turn the good news in a bad news. Certainly they were enough normal and sensible to leave this forum, nothing sterile of course and I think even warm for people looking for surgical solutions.

Comment

To have some succesful is not a guarantee of a cure. If it would be some kind of succesful assuring it and they would achieve it, surely they'd say it here and in every site. They are normal people with emotions, feelings and they want the best for them or their loved ones, so they need to trust in what they are doing and to think that any success, few or much significant is something really good encouraging them to follow in the same path. So any normal and good person would have not any problem to understand how much negative would be to read negative comments, doubts, reasonings trying to turn the good news in a bad news. Certainly they were enough normal and sensible to leave this forum, nothing sterile of course and I think even warm for people looking for surgical solutions.
                            Just like with people who don't believe in medicine for religious reasons, they are welcome to do whatever they want for themselves. The situation is different with minor children. As that one surgeon said, bracing is for the parents. Yet bracing is a hard treatment. PT isn't in the same category but any amount of shaming a child to wear a brace or do PT is potentially harmful. And these treatments are overused and no guarantee of avoiding surgery for life which is the reason the parents and kids do the treatments.

Did any kids with large curves avoid surgery (or avoid getting to surgical range) with PT among those people you are in touch with?

Did PT work AT ALL??? Even one kid or one adult???
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 07-18-2015, 11:07 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

If they were decided for surgery, surely you'd see them in the surgical section.

Comment

If they were decided for surgery, surely you'd see them in the surgical section.
                                Did any of the people you are in contact with reach surgical range despite doing PT?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X