Second surgery and scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second surgery and scared

I had anterior spinal fusion December 16, 2003 and ihave nonunion between two vertebrae. It makes this popping sound when i sit and stand up and it hurts all the time. I'm going back to my doctor october 1st and am going to plan for a second corrective surgery. I'm 18 now and it worries me that my back hurts all the time, so i can't imagine what i'll be feeling 20 years from now. I got on here because pretty much none of my friends understand anything that I'm talking about. Thanks for listening and if you have any advice for me or just want to talk my email is Rainakay@aol.com

I sent you a private message. Let me know if you don't recieve it. Anytime you (or your mom) feels like talking, let me know.
    On the bright side, according to Kate, the revision surgery isn't as bad as the original one. Hopefully, seeing as they know that you have a non-union, this will be the answer to your pain. In Kate's case, they weren't sure it was a non-union. They did pack more bone around the "questionable" fusion when they removed the hardware, but it is looking more and more like that wasn't the problem.
    Luckily, Kate has a wonderful roommate who helps her alot when things get tough.
    I guess, in retrospect, if I had it all to do over again, I would have gotten 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions. But, hindsight is 20/20. We have to deal with the present and people who are going through similar problems are the best people to go to for support and information. Don't hesitate to post anything here, we all know what you're going through and there are no "stupid questions" here.
    Take care of yourself!
    Kathy

Comment

Hi Rainakay

I'm 34, and am going to have my third surgery in less than 8 years, it's discouraging and I am a bit mad that the orthos didn't tell me all about the possibles things that could happen. I know some may say that it's best to not know all but in my case it makes it more acceptable and real.

I have a broken rod and maybe loose screws, they will see what all that needs to be done once they open me up in November, if they can fit me then. I had a tomogram done with no sign of pseudoarthritis, but it's not 100% sure as they can only see this during surgery. Try to take it day by day, and if I can give you advice as far as surgery goes, don't let them leave you with no hardware if they fuse one area that is non fused, since that can't make the fusion take place.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
      X