Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractic care for scoliosis?

Hi,

Im new to this forum and I'm sure this topic has been discussed before but I would love to hear from all of you. I was wondering if anyone has had chiropractic care for their scoliosis and if it has helped reduce the curve or even just with alleviating pain. I am 22 this year and I have a 43 degree curve (if i remember correctly). I do not experience any back aches or pains, unless I was doing something where I am bent over for a while. However, I try to avoid such activities so I virtually feel no pain. I am curious about chiropractic care because I would like to seek an alternative treatment, as I was told I do not need surgery, and that is definitely a last resort for me. Also, is chiropractic care expensive if not covered by insurance? By the way, I live in Michigan, US.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Angeline...

Chiropractic care cannot reduce your curvature. It may, however, reduce any pain you might have in the future. I tried chiropractic care three times a week for almost a year. Unfortunately, I actually had an increase in pain. I really wanted to believe the chiropractor was helping, but eventually had to admit that it was not.

I've found a huge variation in how much chiropractors charge, so there's no way of knowing what it will cost until you've actually identified the specific chiropractor.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had an s-curve 55 degrees at the top and 25 at the bottom corrected to 25 & 13. I had a fusion w/harrington rods placed 27 years ago. (I was a kid at the time.)I started having neck pain 8 yrs ago and tried chiropractic. The initial "crack" of my neck would make me feel better, but within a few hours it caused my muscles to contract and I'd ache worse. I stuck with it for 8 months, but ultimately decided it was not helping me. I have tried accupuncture which is really effective at alleviating pain and lasts about 1 or 2 weeks for me as long as I don't do any heavy lifting. I also use a massage therapist who does "neuromuscular" massage which helps to reduce pain.

Comment

I had chiropractic care as a first course of treatment for my scoliosis. Chiro promised to straighten me right up. I did a couple months treatment, and all I had to show for it now is a curve that progressed to the point of surgical intervention and a spine that cracks a whole lot more freely now....
        The best thing to help with my discomfort (pre and post op) is being worked on by a chiro who doesnt crack things- he relies on massage (myofasical release it's called) to help things align. Hurts like heck for the first couple of days, but afterwards I move a lot more freely.
        What part of MI are you from? I'm from the Flint area, chiro is up in Saginaw.
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Where is your doctor at in Michigan I would love to check him out - I saw a doctor in Florida for awhile who was using the myofacial technique. I would love to check out your doctor being as my family is from Michigan. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Angeline - I went to a Chiro about 4 days per week for about 1 year prior to surgery, they were able to help some, but could not stop the scoliosis.. In fact the Chiro finally told me he would do more damage long term than having the surgery - However, My curvature was more than yours!!

Comment

Some insurances cover it, others don't... might consider it something more like a spa massage type of visit, than a medical one.

I've had all good experiences with chiropractors. The first one I went to, had straightened my spine 11mm (may not sound like much, but with things as small as nerves and stuff, it ends up being quite a bit!). But then I got Medicare taken away because of marriage, and quit going.

Then I ended up in so much pain, I decided to try again. I didn't go to the last doctor, but tried a new one closer to my work office so I wouldn't have to "waste" sick leave hours. This doctor said I should "aggressively seek" surgery. But he charged $45 a visit, and I didn't have insurance at the time.

Now I have insurance, and am going to a new doctor closer to my house (again, so I don't have to take time off work), and he also says surgery is strongly suggested. For most patients, they discourage it and offer alternatives. He hasn't told me my degrees yet, but it's obviously severe. My shoulders are lopsided, one hip pokes out, and the X-rays look like my spine is practically an S. On a side note, my cardiologist also wants me to get surgery, since my left side of ribs are compressed and she said it's putting strain on my heart...so it's going to be for more than just my back!

When I went to my old chiropractor, I would have a day or two of severe pain about once every two months, while my body got used to being worked on. The chiropractor I'm with now, is using different methods, and I've only been going two weeks...so I'm not sure if I'll have bouts of muscle tightness. He says I should expect it, which I already figured on. But I won't mind, if it helps over-all in the long run! The rest of the time, I feel just fine.

If you want to, try it for a couple months, and if you don't feel it's working, then try something else.
              I may be crazy, but it's kept me from goin' insane...

Comment

I saw a chiro when I was a teen and wearing a brace, it didn't help except for the time I was there.

Before I had surgery(about six months), I went back and it helped a LOT for two weeks at a time, since my pain was recurring mostly at about two weeks. After a few months of doing that, the pain got worse and was constant, without any help from the chiro visits so I stopped going.
                35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
                X