MRI and a 35 years old herington rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRI and a 35 years old herington rod?

My very dear wife needs an MRI to find out if her cancer treatment is beneficial, unfortunately her Herington rod is over 35 years old and we are not sure if it is compatible with an MRI? anyone know by any chance? Is stainless steel magnetic? Thank you.

Hi...

Your wife's Harrington rod will not cause any problem with the MRI with the exception of causing distortion on the film in the area around the rod. You can see a discussion on the topic here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2247

Hope the treatment has been successful!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I would be sure and check with the hospital. I have had my rods since 1989 and have been having some pain. I went in for a MRI and they could not do one and I ended up having a catscan. They said the older ones need to be done by catscan. Please double check before she has an MRI. Good luck.
      Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Mocity...

They may have had to do a CT scan because the metal was in the way of what they needed to image, but it's perfectly safe to have an MRI with Harrington rods.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Ok. However, I was told it was because of what the harrington rods were made of at the time I had my surgery. They said because of that I could not have an MRI and instead had a catscan. Possibly because of insurance reasons? Not sure. This was done at Methodist Hospital here in Houston in the Medical Center.
          Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Harrington rods were made of surgical stainless steel, the same metal that many of the rods in use today are made of. I'm guessing that you just came across a tech who didn't know.

--Linda

Comment

Working...
            X