About to get my brace...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to get my brace...

I'm getting my brace very soon. My brace goes beneath the "breastline" as my doctors call it, so I consider myself lucky. What do you recomend doing to make it easier in the brace??
    Curve: Single Lower Lumbar 25 degrees

Brace: Soon to be Boston

I'm assuming you're getting a boston brace? Right? Well, thats what I have.

Anyway, your doctor will probably tell you to only wear it for an hour or two on the first day. Then gradually moving up hours every day until you reach where you are supposed to be. For me, I had to wear it 23/7. But I didn't start out that way. I would wear it for 1 or 2 hours the first day, 2 or 3 the next...and so on until I was wearing it for 23 hours a day. You just need to take it slow to get your body used to it.

Also, excerise out of the brace to keep your back strong!!

Comment

thanks

Thanks, yeah I'm gtting the boston brace. I do a lot of dance, 9 1/2 hours a weeks soon that will go up to 10 1/2. I was also wondering is it really uncomfortable? What clothes look best with it?

Comment

Answers

Hi my name is Sammie and i have some answers to you questions: First off the brace is kinda of uncomfortable at first but i've worn my brace for 11 months and there are even some days i forget i have it on thats how use to it i am. Second: I thought when i was getting my brace i thought i was going to have to go shopping every day just to get new clothes but i can still wear all my regular clothes and if someone can see it and they come ask me what it is i gladly just say "I have Scoliosis really bad and i have to wear a brace to try and help it from getting worse so i don't have to have surgrey" and they either get really interested in it and ask more questions and we become good friends or they turn away and never look at you again but that one doesn't happen often. Truly you get more friends if you have a brace (I think) because some people have never heard of it before and they get really into it and you just get really close. So i hope this all helped. Bye ~Sammie~

Comment

Thanks again

Thanks, I know I'll have to get new pants and stuff, but I'm happy about that cause now it will be easier to find pants, because I'm really small. My friends are really interested in my brace, and they keep asking me when I'm getting it, which is in a week or so.

Comment

hey bumblebee! ya i got a brace in feb. and just recently got out of it and now im having surgery. one tip like sammie said is that if sumone asks u about it, dont hesitate to tell them about it! i was so scared to talk to people at my school about it before, but then i realized that it was so much better to be upfront and honest about it! you'll probably have to buy new clothes, idk though, cause i had too. i was so mad because i was so used to wearing small sizes and then all of a sudden i had to get all the bigger clothes! but i eventually got over it. and if you have camis ive always found that those are good things to wear under the brace, because their comforatable and prevent irritation. thats all i can think of right now!
            good luck!!
            §BrIaNn§

Comment

hi!

Hey bumblebee My name is Temima. i got a boston brace in August and i wear it 23 hours a day. When i was getting used to it, it took me about 3 weeks to get up to 23 hours. every week i'd wear it for a few more hours. Now i'm pretty much used to it. For clothes, most of my clothes accually still fit! i just had to get a few new things. The good part is i have a uniform which hides the brace very well. (a pleated skirt and an oxferd shirt) Do you have a uniform? Dont worry a boston brace isn't that noticable. Noone who i didn't tell about my brace found out except for one person who touched me and totally freaked out that i was hard! It was pretty funny
              Good Luck!
              Temima
              Temima

13 years old

wears a boston brace 23/7

has 17 and 23 degree curves
              11 and 8 degree curves w/ brace

Comment

i do too

i have to get my brace. i was fitted for it on tuesday. When will it come in? how long did it take for yours to come in?
                needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

hi bgheiz01! i went to camp for 3 weeks right after i got fitted for my brace and got it as soon as i came back. so it probably takes a couple of weeks to be ready
                  temima
                  Temima

13 years old

wears a boston brace 23/7

has 17 and 23 degree curves
                  11 and 8 degree curves w/ brace

Comment

thanx

cool so in about 2 weeks ill get it!
                    needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

Originally posted by bumblebee
                      I'm getting my brace very soon. My brace goes beneath the "breastline" as my doctors call it, so I consider myself lucky. What do you recomend doing to make it easier in the brace??
                      be4 u get the brace practice shanding up straght and sucking in your tummy a little i wish i did that if u get use to that then it will be easier to be in the brace

Comment

Working...
                      X