Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm New - Why are so many viewing & not commenting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm New - Why are so many viewing & not commenting?

Does anyone know of a place where I can go to chat with others who have scoliosis?? Thank you.

Ken,

I think you've found a great place to talk to others about Scoliosis. Unlike some other forums, on this one you can send private messages and exchange e-mail addresses which a lot of us do. You asked why people are viewing and not posting--we have to view your post to see what the post is about. If we have some information to share or just some support, we respond.

Mary Lou

Comment

Ken, Is there something you wanted to talk about? Would you like to share how you are doing with your scoliosis or ask for some ideas? Kris

Comment

Ken,

I see you are from Los Angeles area. I grew up there - who was your doctor? I wore a Milwaukee brace in the mid to late 70's. Surgery recommended for me after 4 wears of bracing failed but I chose not to have surgery. I can't remember my docs name but he was (or still is?) in Whittier and I remember he was very well known at the time as a scoli doc. How was your surgical experience? How are you doing now?

Renee

Comment

Mis-Understood...

Sorry if my message came off wrong - This is the BEST site I have EVER seen regarding scoliosis.. I am Thrilled it's here!!! I was just thinking it was more of a chat type of environment - Thanks for letting me clarify that!!

Comment

RE: Viewers not talking...

Hi Ken! I was going to say too, maybe a lot of people come by just to read about others experiences to compare and/or contrast to their own or someone they know.. I actually viewed alot before I ever posted one just to see if there is anything similar going on with anyone that's going on w/my baby girl, just to see what's going on in others' cases.. Take care!

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpower
              Ken,

I see you are from Los Angeles area. I grew up there - who was your doctor? I wore a Milwaukee brace in the mid to late 70's. Surgery recommended for me after 4 wears of bracing failed but I chose not to have surgery. I can't remember my docs name but he was (or still is?) in Whittier and I remember he was very well known at the time as a scoli doc. How was your surgical experience? How are you doing now?

Renee
              Hi Renee.. Yes I am from the LA area - My Dr was Susan Swank - The surgery was nothing like I expected (I was 16 and had no idea what to expect) - I was doing great until about 3 years ago... Been on a downward spiral since.. Lower back area (not the H-rods).. Thanks for asking!!

Comment

Originally posted by MO2
                Hi Ken! I was going to say too, maybe a lot of people come by just to read about others experiences to compare and/or contrast to their own or someone they know.. I actually viewed alot before I ever posted one just to see if there is anything similar going on with anyone that's going on w/my baby girl, just to see what's going on in others' cases.. Take care!
                Hi Mo - I'm sure you are correct!! This is a great site!! Lot's of good info!!
                I hope everything works out well for your daughter!! (I have 3)

Comment

Originally posted by KRIS ATKINSON
                  Ken, Is there something you wanted to talk about? Would you like to share how you are doing with your scoliosis or ask for some ideas? Kris
                  Hi Kris - I'm looking for ideas on losing weight (without needing to excercise)to see if it will help with my lower back pain - The doctors are not sure what exactly is causing my pain (they say a possible facet joint)... Thanks for asking!!

Comment

Ken, I found regular dry land exercises ended up being too much for my various ailments, including plantar fascitis (sp), a swollen muscle in my foot. Everything put stress on my muscles and I was in pain, like you say. I switched to water exercises and found a big relief. I found some water exercise classes at the YMCA and that kept my weight off my knees, feet, lower back, etc. Unfortunately, I have found I need to diet and exercise to do any good, but it does make me lose weight if I really do it! Good luck! I haven't been working out since before my daughter's surgery, bad girl that I am, though. I WILL get back at it when she takes less care (I promise!!!) Is there a reason you don't want to exercise, or are you procrastinating and very busy like me? Kris

Comment

Originally posted by KRIS ATKINSON
                      Ken, I found regular dry land exercises ended up being too much for my various ailments, including plantar fascitis (sp), a swollen muscle in my foot. Everything put stress on my muscles and I was in pain, like you say. I switched to water exercises and found a big relief. I found some water exercise classes at the YMCA and that kept my weight off my knees, feet, lower back, etc. Unfortunately, I have found I need to diet and exercise to do any good, but it does make me lose weight if I really do it! Good luck! I haven't been working out since before my daughter's surgery, bad girl that I am, though. I WILL get back at it when she takes less care (I promise!!!) Is there a reason you don't want to exercise, or are you procrastinating and very busy like me? Kris
                      Hi Kris, my physical condition has been on a downward spiral the last couple years, I try to take it easy on my body & it gets more limited.. so I try to exercise and end up hurting myself and not being able to leave the house for several days.. I'm seeing a series of doctors, but they are not giving me any options right now (Except to live with it) - Thankfully I am self employed and can work from home when needed (God blessed me with that)!! I will look into water exercise - that sounds good!! I just started a 90 day weight loss challenge with a group I found @ People Connection (which is a message board via: AOL) - I pray your daughter gets better soon!!

Comment

Ken, I love this forum !! For the first time in years I feel I'm not alone out there, especially now that I'm having degenerating disc problems accompanied with lots of pain, below my fusion and rod.

I have gained weight in the last 6 months, have numbness in my left leg and find physical weight-bearing exercise painful. I will have to look into water exercise too.

I was going to a chiropractor for years. He stretched the ligaments, etc. and was very sensitive to my rods. He helped me tremendously, but now even that is not an option. My next venture is massage, the key being to find a therapist who can address my problem. I think I have found one. Also, acupuncture has been suggested to me for pain. I can only take so many pain medications a day. Sometimes I look at the options ahead (like "living with it") and know there must be a solution out there.

Good luck in finding an answer right for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol M
                          Ken, I love this forum !! For the first time in years I feel I'm not alone out there, especially now that I'm having degenerating disc problems accompanied with lots of pain, below my fusion and rod.

I have gained weight in the last 6 months, have numbness in my left leg and find physical weight-bearing exercise painful. I will have to look into water exercise too.

I was going to a chiropractor for years. He stretched the ligaments, etc. and was very sensitive to my rods. He helped me tremendously, but now even that is not an option. My next venture is massage, the key being to find a therapist who can address my problem. I think I have found one. Also, acupuncture has been suggested to me for pain. I can only take so many pain medications a day. Sometimes I look at the options ahead (like "living with it") and know there must be a solution out there.

Good luck in finding an answer right for you.
                          Carol - feel free to email me!! askforken@aol.com (our situations sound very similar).

Comment

Working...
                          X