No announcement yet.

Severe kyphosis (humpback) Anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe kyphosis (humpback) Anyone else?

I am new on this forum and have had 5 surgeries in the past 15 years for scoliosis correction. Rods in, broken, out, in ,out, in, out again. Now I have severe kyphosis ( 105 degrees) and have pain everyday just in different degrees. I use hydrocodone and have for 8 yrs I would say, I'm praying my liver doesn't give in. I take about 3 - 4/ day and hate myself for it.

I finally went to UCSF, Dr. Deverin on Monday and we discussed revision surgery with multiple osteotomies. He would have to go in from the front first to loosen the spine up then I would recover for a few day and then he would go in posteriorly and break up the areas that are fused, repair a degenerative disc and put in rods, screws etc to correct the curve. I understand it is a very complex surgery with much risk involved and can really help or maybe only help a little. The deformity would be corrected but he or no one can guarantee pain relief.

Anyone else had this done? Anyone have bad kyphosis as well as scoliosis? I have read alot about it and seems it can cause heart/lung problems even bladder & bowel problems if worsened. But everyone is different.

I would really like input from anyone. I am consumed with the thoughts of having surgery or not and if so, when to do it etc.

Thanks. Though I don't wish these challenges on anyone it is nice to hear from people who understand.

KML in Las Vegas
    Kim
    35yr mother of 4 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy
    *Dec 05 A/P revision surgery-UCSF,Dr. Deviren- fused T3 - L3, rib removal
    *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
    *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later
    *1992 Removal of broken Harrington rod, 2 smaller rods put in
    *1987 Harrington rod for 46 degree scoliosis curve

Hi,

Although my daughter's Kyphosis wasn't nearly as bad as yours, she did have surgery 9 months ago to correct her Kyphoscoliosis. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Mary Lou

Comment

KLM,
      You will love Dr. Derverin. I had flatback, but not kyphosis, he did my surgery in 2001. He is a very nice man and caring doc. UCSF was great. The pain control was wonderful. You will do well, your in good hands
      SandyC

Comment

Mary Lou,

Did your daughter have the two stage surgery, from the front and the back?

From what the Dr. said this type of revision surgery is a little more complex with older people like myself, who have had fusions in the past. They do one surgery where they go in from the front then wait a few days and go in again from the back. They break up the fused part of the spine to make it more flexible and then straighten it w/ rods, screws etc.

Does that sound like what your daughter went through? I am sorry she had to go through all this so young. I was 16 with my first. Kids are so resilient though. Tell her that all of this builds character and to hang in there. I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son and I pray neither has to go through this but it runs in my family so it could happen.

Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it.
        Kim
        *1995 Hardware removal (spine collapsed into 105 degree kyphotic curve over next 8 yrs)
        *1994 Revision scoliosis surgery to remove rods and put in clamps/other type hardware, ended up having problems so went back under 5 days later

Comment

KLM,
          Dr. D did the A/P surgery that he is purposing to do on you, but for flatback. I was 53 at the time. Yes, it is very involved, but not as bad as it sounds. I'm fused from T4 - S1. I was the most uncomfortable from the anterior incision than from the posterior. I think because of the broken ribs, not the incision itself. By my 6 month check up you could see the rib that he had removed, already growing back.

The best advice I could possiblely give you is to start strengthening your abs. I did this by having PT 3x week for several months. Physical Therapy, at UCSF will teach you how to get out of and into bed after your surgery. You will really need those ab muscles then.

If you have questions feel free to e mail privately
          SandyC

Comment

KML,

Jamie was lucky. They did posterior only and they did what is called an osteotomy on her at several levels and used that bone for the fusion, so she only had one scar.

I have heard of some people, including kids, who need to have both anterior and posterior for the best possible correction. I would imagine that your recovery will be a little longer/harder with two surgeries, but if that's what it takes to get everything corrected, I'd say go for it. Remember to have someone who can help you full-time for a while, so you can concentrate on healing.

As for your children, please, please make sure their pediatrician knows of your history with Kyphosis. I too hope your children never develop Kyphosis or Scoliosis, but if they do, it would be best to catch it as early as possible and put them into a brace before it gets too bad.

Best of luck to you,
            Mary Lou

Comment

I have 95+ degree Scheuerman's Kyphosis, with very little pain. Currently looking at surgery ATM, but due to other complications of Kyphosis.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Comment

May I ask what "other complications" are causing you to look into surgery?

Mary Lou

Comment

Basically, the kyphosis is putting too much pressure on my lungs and heart. I'm currently trying to find a way to get the surgery paid for, as I'm not currently insured.

Comment

i have severe kyphoscoliosis of 70* and i will be having an operation this winter. it is very painful and it has affected my lungs, i can't breathe in as deep as i used to! and surgery, sadly, won't be able to improve my lungs or my back completely because of the large hump.

Comment

thesatindoll,

I understand the breathing issues. I get short of breath sometimes. My kypho curve is 105 degrees but my scoliosis is only 36 now. As I mentioned I've already had 5 surgeries to correct the scoliosis curve.

Why don't they think the surgery will help your lung function or especially your back? I went to UCSF to see Dr. Deverin and they indicated doing the two stage surgery, anterior & posterior. It is a very complex surgery but he believes it will help to straighten me up and help with pain relief. Pain is a big problem for me and I would really like to get off all the pain meds I take on a daily basis. Of course, they can never guarantee 100% relief. Is this the surgery they are planning to do on you? My mom and I both have severe kyphosis and have been told that doing alot of cardio to expand the lungs is very important. Maybe after the surgery when you can exercise again if you do a good cardio regimen perhaps you can build your lungs back up.

Good luck and you can email me directly anytime at jpllvgolf@aol.com.

KML
                      Kim

Comment

revision surgery

Check my old posts. I had anterior/posterior revision for triple curves at age 60. Yesterday was my 3 year anniversary of the second stage. I got my life back and am totally pain free. I am glad to be still working 3/5 time and productive.

Without this surgery I would have become disabled; that would have caused a great financial difficulty since my husband's company stopped paying the retiree spousal medical premium. I am glad I can work to pay it at least until I reach Medicare. It's clear that my decision to have surgery benefitted us in many ways.

Karen
                        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
                        X