16 with scoliosis since middle school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 with scoliosis since middle school

Hey iam a junior in highschool i play football and have been on the varsity wrestling team as a freshmen and iam going to wrestle in collage. I have a 47 degree and it pushes to the right you can notice it and all that good stuff.My doctor says if it gets to 50 we should discuss surgury and my next session with im is feburary. My question is if i lets say stop growing for some reason will the scoliosis stop growing??? So the taller i get the worse it gets is it like that and iam in a brace by the way. And me getting surgury means no more wrestling or football which i cant image.

im sry, i cant answer ur question! i hope everything goes well 4 u though!
    good luck!
    §BrIaNn§

Comment

hi

from what i've heard, doctors think that if you stop growing the scoliosis will too. however, if you get shorter, obviously the scoliosis is progressing. the reason you would need surgery when you get to 50* is because at some point gravity will take over and cause scoliosis to progress really quickly, and if that happens it can cause problems with your organs. unfortunately, contact sports like wrestling and football probably wouldn't be an option after surgery. i remember how i had to give up horseback riding because of my scoliosis.

but even if you get taller, it doesn't mean that the scoliosis will progress, because if it got better you would get taller as well. just hope that the brace will do its job and at least prevent your scoliosis from getting worse, and maybe even help you get better.
      Marlana
      16, Senior
      Spina Bifida
      Boston Brace for 2 years
      Spinal Fusion July 25, 2002
      Post-Op Brace for 6 months

Comment

Working...
      X