Clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothes

I am a 10 yr. old boy, only wearing my brace for 2 days now, and school starts in 2 days. What kind of clothes do you wear over the brace so it is
    not so noticable, and not so itchy or sweaty.

sleeveless undershirt & use baby powder under the brace, loose fitting shirts, shirts/sweatshirts with hoods for over the brace. You may need to buy pants 1 size larger (or loose fitting). That's all I can think of right now.

Comment

i agree with flowerpower on the getting a size bigger than normal. you will find that you will have rashes too! as embarrasing as it is, good nappy rash cream seems to be the best as its thick!

a defo go with the talcum powder also, its a must, becos the brace will rub! and ow is that itchy sore!

i'd just suggest BAGGY Sweaters, as this will conceal it the most, but you've got to be aware that it won't entirely be hidden.

GOODLUCK!

Comment

According to the following website:

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/h...m-orthosis.htm

It is very important to prevent skin breakdown - sore, red, raw skin. The skin under the brace needs to be toughened up, especially where the brace presses hard.

To protect the skin:

* Bathe daily (bath or shower)
        * Apply rubbing alcohol with friction to all parts of the skin that are pink and the areas where the brace presses a lot
        * Always wear a 100 percent cotton (not blended cotton or synthetic material) undershirt, tubular knit without side seams
        * Frequently check the skin for pink areas when the brace is first used

Do not use cream, lotion or powder under the brace.

If there is skin breakdown (sore, red, raw skin) the brace must not be reapplied until the skin heals – one day or more. Sometimes the skin over the waist and hips get darker. That is common and is not a problem. When the brace treatment is over, this color will go away.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sorry, don't want to give out any "mis"information. The baby powder suggestion came from the "olden days" when I was braced.

Comment

Actually, my 14-yr. old daughter HAD to use baby powder under the t-shirt, because she would continually get a rash on her skin under the brace, even with frequent shirt changes. There was even an anti-itch baby powder by Johnson's that worked beautifully. Wearing a boston-t underneath instead of a regular undershirt was even better.

Comment

wow

that is tough. I have not gotten my brace yet, but i might have to use baby powder on myself.
              needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

hi gail

hi what do u have to wear?
                needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!