Some thoughts from a long time sufferer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some thoughts from a long time sufferer

I'm currently 26 years old and have been having lower back pain and what not for a good decade now. I've always been the type of guy to ignore the pain and eventually it will go away, I know terrible way to treat things, but its just weakness leaving the body as the Marines say. I dealt with the problem until about a year ago I figured I would see what the doctors have to say. Round one was with a Chiropractor, got my MRI and standard set of X-rays done. Results showed significant curve in both directions, forward and to the right, which is obvious without the x-rays. Diagnosed as Scheurmann's disease, late onset scoliosis basically, along with a few nodes on my spinal cord, dont remember the term for them. Started me on a round of stretches and "adjusted" me a few times...he hates when I say he "cracks" my back, apparently not the professional term. I'm a big guy, 5'11" 255 and spend alot of time in the gym, still doing the stretches he gave me but I bumped up my back and ab routines. If the spine isnt holding the weight its the muscles that make up for it so why not make them stronger and as we all know stronger abs and a stronger core help the back from working so hard. Of course I partially made things worse...lifting to hard and to heavy...but that is what makes it fun. Pain got worse but again just dealt with it. Soon I developed some significant shooting pains down my left leg and lower left back. After a month or two decided to see a surgeon to get his take on it. Found out my curve is 56 degrees forward and 15 to the right, got that lower right shoulder and big hump when I bend over thing going on. Surgery is an option but not immediately...check the curve in 6 months for progression. Apparently I've got early onset of arthritis and buldging discs in my lower back with some degenerative discs in the upper back because of the curve. All sounds bad I guess but could be much worse. Went and saw a PT about some stretching tips. Again muscles have a big impact on things. The lower back is attached to your hamstrings, tight hamstrings make everything hurt and most people dont know that, very important muscles. Lots of stretching in the morning, lying on the bed lifting my leg up and locking my knee to stretch instead of bending over to keep my lower discs from compressing more...works well. I also stretch to the left since my curve goes right to stretch out those muscles that have been compressed all these years. Still lifting heavy and adding more everyday just have to prepare your body for the workout.

I know I'm babbling but my suggestions are good amounts of stretchings to keep your hamstrings and lower back loose and some weightlifting to strengthen everything. I lost alot of weight as well, was around 320 at one point, got down to 230 and built myself up to 255. More weight you have to carry the harder to is on your body, physically and health-wise. Of course didnt lose the weight till after everything was already twisted.

From a visual standpoint the right curve is very noticeable, right shoulder much lower than left, and the hump is significant when I bend over, but its who I am and I'm ok with it. Self confidence is everything when you have a very visible problem like this. Have fun, be yourself, laugh with your friends and all is good...more important things to worry about then a little bend here and there.

Well damn, I'm sure your tired of reading by now...hope this helped.

hi southflgirl

hi got tips on bracing anyone? i def. need some
    needs a milwakee brace in about 2 weeks

I am 13

I live in Kentucky

LOVE rap and hip-hop!

35 degree curve

Comment

Working...
    X