Congenital Scoliosis and Passing To Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congenital Scoliosis and Passing To Kids

I have read that there seems to be genetic links to Idiopathic Scoliosis. My question is what is the genetic link with Congenital Scoliosis. What are the chances percentage wise that it (congenital scoliosis) can be passed down to my children? I know from reading that only 1 in every 10,000 people in the US have congenital scoliosis and it is considered very rare.

I have two children with scoliosis. One has the typical teenage idiopathic scoliosis. The other has congenital scoliosis. Both are completely unrelated (at least there is no scientific proof that the scoliosis is related). We were told the same thing - that most congenital scoliosis issues are not genetic (unless there is a genetic component that caused it in the first place, but bone structure anomalies alone are not genetic). The chances of my son passing scoliosis on to his children are slim-to-none. About the same risk that we would have had if we had another child - the same as the general population - about 1-3% chance of having a child with this birth defect.

Good to know, I'm sure.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

hi there! look at this site: http://www.scoliosis.org/
      they might help you.
      Start a Nursing Agency

Comment

My sons ped tried to tell me that scoliosis wasn't hereditary. But i knew something was wrong with him when his overall's wouldn't stay one shoulder, so i kept pressing him until he sent us to an orthopedic surgeon. Sure enough my youngest had infantile scoliosis. We are still monitoring it and and the last time we had xrays he had appeared to out grow it...
        37 yo
        diagnosed at the age of 5. Wore milwaukie brace with boston girdle from 2nd grade until 8th, had first spinal fusion/harrington rod surger upper back, 1983. Brace was taken off after healing.

In 1987 discovered lower back needed surgerie as well, had 1st rod replaced and 2nd put in.

I have a 6 yo son who was diagnosed with infant scoliosis at the age of 1. Seems to have outgrown but we are monitoring.

Comment

I have Type-II Congenital Kyphosis, and have been told that it is unequivocally not hereditary. Whether my GP was telling me rubbish, I guess we'll find out!

Comment

I have had 3 kids, one 26, one 24 and one 9. So far none of them have any indication of a curve. (knocking on wood)

Comment

Working...
            X