Severe pain at connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe pain at connection

I am having severe pain where my herrington rod connects (T2). My head is looks like I am holding it down and out. (Like E T if you know what I mean.)

The doctor that did my surgery no longer does scoliosis surgery and referred me to another doctor. I went to this doctor and they do not know why I am experiencing this pain. The MRI of course shows that there is nothing wrong with my neck and other than that they cannot tell.

I cannot turn my head from side to side or up and down. Sitting or standing for a period of time results in severe pain. I am taking Hydrocodone like it's candy. The doctor wants to open me back up to SEE if the rod is broken or our of place. I told him that I was not going to go throug another major surgery if it was not neccessary.

I have gained about 20-30 pounds in the past few years. Could breast sagging and this weight have something to do with this?

I need help. I cannot go on hurting like this. My husband tries to help, but he doesn't know just how to. I feel like I'm all alone.

Please help,
    Sonja

Sonja,
    You need to see an orthopedist that deals with adult scolosis patients. You also need to make sure that the doctor has experience with adult scolosis patients that have had prior surgeries.

It sounds like you have developed "flatback" due to the Harrington Rod. You also probably also have an area of non fusion.

The weight gain and sagging breast have nothing to do with your back. If you do a search, look at the top of this page, and look for a doc in your area. This web site is a wealth of information...keep asking questions and you will get answers and information that you need.
    SandyC

Comment

Thank you for your reply. The doctor that I saw was an ortho. He is the protige(?) of the doctor that installed my herrington. He stated to me that he has never seen a fusion this high or low. I have only 3 vertebe at the bottom o fmy spine and the L's and T1 at the top. It seems to hurt more when I wear a bra. My breast are D cups now and this is why I'm worried about that so much.

I have never heard of flatback. What is that?

Sonja

Comment

I know what you mean about breast size affecting your back (a friend of mine got hers reduced because of back pain and it diminished.. she didn't have scoliosis though) I am a 34DD and I found that the right bra makes a big difference. I went to a speciality shop and shelled out some cash for the perfect bra (it was 70 Canadian but well worth it. I would have paid more)

So if you haven't done so already you might want to make sure you are wearing the right size and type of bra. Many women wear the wrong size and suffer pain (I'm sure it doesn't help us scoliosis sufferers to have this added problem) I witnessed a lady come in there wearing a 46B and she walked out of there wearing 36DDD!

They could also help you find soemthing that doesn't dig into your back I'm sure.

I hope this helps at least a little
        Age 28
        diagnosed at age 12
        wore a boston brace until age 14
        No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
        T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
        L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
        2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
        2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Sounds similar

I had a very severe pain in my back where I had my instrumentation begin for 2 years. I couldn't breath or stand or sit for a long time without it hurting. I had to lay down all the time or find a chair that I could have hit me in the right place. It was terrible. Well the doctors couldn't find anything and I had alot of tests done. So they thought it may be a failed fusion and it was causing arthritic like pain. So I chose to do another surgery to refuse the top portion and put some new instrumentation in. It wasn't guarenteed, but I couldn't take the pain anymore, so I didn't care. It was worth the shot. Well it worked wonderfully. It has been 2 years in december and I don't have that pain at all anymore. So it must have been it. Thought that might help. I did it because I was just too young and active to let it rule me. So I had to try.

Comment

Working...
          X