Curve progression after initial fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curve progression after initial fusion

I don't know if anyone can help with what is a relatively minor issue objectively speaking. My daughter had her lower curve fused 14 years ago when she was 14, here in the UK. It was reduced from 53 to 11 degrees, so an excellent outcome. She was discharged with the message that her back was now as strong as anyone else's and no special care was needed. She lived life to the full, went backpacking in her early 20s and was generally active and symptom-free. Now at 29 she has just noticed that the upper unfused curve seems to be progressing - right shoulder and shoulder blade are clearly different from the left. This is rather devastating to all of us - I am still recovering from my own spinal fusion last November. We will pay for her to have a private appointment with David Harrison who got excellent results with my fusion, is very informative and doesn't push surgery. We are lucky to have this possibility, but she won't be able to make an apointment for the next few months as she will be abroad.

Does anyone have experience of this kind of thing happening post-fusion? COuld it have been due to her not taking proper care of her back since the first op?

I would be really grateful for any info,

Lavinia

Hi Lavinia...

I don't think there's any way to know for sure, but if the vertebra and disc immediately above the fusion weren't level after surgery, I think there's a good chance that the spine will curve.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X