Body Piercings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Piercings

Warning to those who are one year or less post-op--do not get any body piercings! Jamie is eight months post-op and was into the family doctor today and I asked him if she should be pre-medicated when getting her ears pierced. He said no, because she shouldn't be getting her ears pierced. This was his explanation as to why: He said that if you get teeth removed, they open you up and sew the holes shut right away. When they pierce your ears, they are open for several weeks which lets them open to infection. He suggested I call her surgeon which I did and I'm glad I did because both the surgeon and the family doctor agree that she should not have any body piercings at all until at least one year post-op.

This all makes sense but I would have never thought getting her ears pierced would be such a big deal!

Mary Lou

wow marylou i would have never thought twice about letting nicole get her ears pierced. As a matter of fact hers are pierced and she went with a friend to get her's done and nicole was thinking about getting a second hole in one ear. I'm glad she didn't. I think the dr's should tell us this don't you
    Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

I agree with you, someone should tell us these things. I don't call the surgeon too often but I'm glad I did this time.

What I thought was really ironic was the example our doctor gave about having teeth removed. Jamie is getting 8 teeth removed next week in preparation for braces. So, do I cancel that appointment? Jamie has wanted braces on her teeth for so long but didn't want to deal with a back brace and braces on her teeth so we waited. Then she needed surgery and we waited even longer. I guess it is okay to have the teeth removed. The oral surgeon has prescribed a week's worth of antibiotics, starting three days before her oral surgery so hopefully we won't have any problems.

Like we've all said, just one more thing to worry about!

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
        don't worry if they say she can have the teeth removed then i'm sure she will be okay with the antibiotics. Will we ever stop worrying about them!! I don't think so.
        We also waited with braces for nicole. Her backbrace at the time was hard enough for her to handle and she is now finally getting her braces off the day after she comes home from florida and she will have to be premedicated for that.
        Let me know how it goes
        Jennifer

Comment

Hooray for Nicole! No back brace, braces coming off her teeth and most of her surgical restrictions are gone-what a great way to start the new school year.

Have you heard much from her? How are your nerves?

As for never being able to stop worrying about them, our family doctor just gave us something else to worry about the other day. Jamie has VERY tight hamstrings and is suppose to do stretches (which she doesn't) and the family doctor informed us that if she doesn't start doing them again daily and continue to do them, she will have low back problems in the future! She already has a Spondylethesis (?) in her lower back that could cause problems and now this! Okay, I don't think I'll ever stop worrying completely!

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Mary Lou,

Sounds like Jamie will be keeping you on your toes for a very long time. UGH!

I don't remember... did Jamie have a full-spine MRI prior to her surgery? I'm sure she did, with all the orthos you saw for opinions. Could the tight hamstrings be a sign of a tethered spinal cord? Or is this from the spondo issues? Has she grown taller (a lot) since surgery? Good luck keeping an eye on this.

Braydon has actually had teeth surgically removed during the same operation to lengthen his rods. I agree that as long as she's on antibiotics, she'll do fine having the teeth removed.

We've been busy at my house too. My 15yr old damaged his knee during the first day of football practice (patellar subluxation) and will be out 4-6 weeks. He's very bummed about that. Hubby has been in the hospital a couple of times with his MS/stroke-like symptoms. Not fun. He'll be seeing a neurologist next week. Hopefully to get some answers... but not betting on it. Life is full of things to keep us busy!

Braydon went on an 8 mile hike up the mountain the other day! He did great! The people he went with said he led the way. He is doing so well.

Keep up the great work!
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Carmell,

Yes, Jamie is keeping us on our toes, but what 14 y.o. doesn't? lol

Jamie did have a complet MRI and CAT scan prior to surgery which showed nothing more than very narrow pedicles. All else was normal. I don't know if we discussed this in the past or not, but we believe Jamie has CMT (Charcot-Marie-Tooth) which affects the muscles. I believe that plus the Spondo are the main causes of the tight hamstrings. Her father also has tight himstrings, so it might just be hereditary-I know the CMT is hereditary. Jamie has only grown 1/2 inch since surgery.

Talk about staying on your toes! First your son and now your husband. I hope your son is on the road to recovery and is still able to play football later this year. Good luck to you husband next week. I hope they come up with some answers for him. At least Braydon is doing well! How about your daughter? I hope she is staying healthy. How about you? Are you remembering to take care of yourself while taking care of everyone else?

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou,

I had forgotten that Jamie had CMT. That explains a lot. Good luck keeping up with everything.

Thanks for the well-wishes for me and my family. Actually, if my hubby's problems were solved, my life would be a piece of cake! He's more maintainence than all three kids put together. UGH. I know he can't help it, but still, one day I wish he could be pain-free and healthy. Wishful thinking at this point.

Kara is doing great! She has a good job that she likes and she and her new hubby live in a very nice apartment. Her hubby has been helping with the fireworks season (shooting fireworks shows with my hubby). That helps give them some extra cash to get started in their new apartment. If you knew her before she met J, you would be amazed at how much she has blossomed! LOL She's really come out of her shell and has a lot of maturity (that I knew was there, but no one else did). Marriage has been a good thing, even as young as she is.

Did I mention that Braydon is having xrays done on Aug. 26 to see when he'll need another expansion surgery? We'll see if we can push his expansion surgery a bit longer than 6 months this time. By Aug 26, it will have been 5 months since his last surgery. He'll also have his annual checkup with the urologist, neurosurgeon and ortho for his leg/foot/hip issues. Big checkup day.

Take care! Oh, and I'm trying to sleep and eat well. Somedays its harder than others. School starts on Aug. 24 here, so maybe once we get back to a routine, it will be easier... wishful thinking again (I do a lot of that wishing...)
                Carmell
                mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

hi marylou
                  so far so good at disney. We have spoken to her everyday and sometimes more then once a day. She is being very good about calling. She is having a good time, but at night she sounds exhausted. She said there hasn't been many rides that she couldn't go on. There were some and she just sat out and waited, which is fine. She did ask me about one and i said if you're not sure don't go on it. I asked her if her back hurts at all and she said no just her legs and feet from walking and she said everyone else's does too. So so far so good. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the vacation to go as well.
                  As for jamie she better start doing those streches!!
                  Jennifer

Comment

Desperate!

Hey, i was just wondering if anyone here has got any piercings after their surgery? I had surgery about 2 years ago on a 73 degree curve. I am sooo desperate to get peircings its not funny! if anyone has had their eyebrow, tounge, nipple, navel, lip or just anything! please post and tell me how it went. the surgeon said it should be alright for me to do my ears and navel but nothing else. but i want everything else!

thx, Lozza

Comment

ewww everything else isn't a good idea...that's just too many piercings. I have six piercings (2 in each ear, one in my navel, and one in my nose). Too many piercings just doesn't look good. It also isn't safe for someone who's had a fusion, but wait is it okay to have piercings before a fusion?? Because I might have one later (depends on my curves) and I don't want to have to have all my piercings close up and get them all redone in a few years.
                      ~Leelee ♪
                      [-] 17 years old
                      _[-] 12th grade
                      [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
                      _[-] kyphosis, 67*
                      [-] Boston brace for 4 years
                      _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

to Nicole's mom,
                        happened to read that your daughter had the brace & having teeth braces too... When I wore the milwaukee brace, I had teeth braces too! It was kind of tough(afraid of lightning storms cause I had so much metal on!) But I was that much more beautiful in college!!!!
                        Lynne

Comment

Working...
                        X