Need to find Dr in Okla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to find Dr in Okla

I need to find a new Dr. in Oklahoma. One who will listen and try to figure out why I am still hurting. I am tired of hurting most of the time as this pain is getting old now. The pain RX is getting where it doesn't help anymore and I cant sleep some nights tonight is one of them. In case you are wondering I had my last surgery June 2004. The pain seem to ease up for a while but it starting to intensfy. more and more. If anyone has any ideas it would greatly help. I am tired of trying to cope with the pain and tired of RX not helping.
    need help please.

It may just be that you need more time to heal, it took me two years of resting, swimming and just taking it easy before I had LESS pain from the surgery and started to live with it. I don't know what your pains are though, but am just speaking for myself and what I experienced. If the pain is located to an area where some hardware is, it could be that hurts and I did have some partial hardware removed as well, to help. Like I said, I don't know exactly what you're dealing with and as far as Orthos from what I read here the ones in Texas are even more specialized.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

pain one year post-op?

I am 63 and almost 3 years post revision. I have no pain. I stopped narcotics 3 months after surgery but worked with a pain management doctor for those first 3 months. That does not mean I was pain free. I just use alternative means to deal with it. I especially had a LOT of pain by my thoracoplasty for a LONG time. I would say about 2-2/2 years.
      Keeping active helped a lot. I needed Neurontin for about 6 months post-op;tapered that off when I started working because it affected my short term memory-not good for a nurse-anesthetist.
      I also did Pilates with a personal trainer. I walk a lot. I add here that scar tissue did cause me pain after that first year. I went to a myofacial release therapist(not covered by insurance) to break up the scar-very painful but exceedingly effective. I needed Aleve(naproxen)easier on my stomach than
      Advil(ibuprofen). Tylenol Arthritis(2) every 8 hours helped also. I used helichrysm oil on painful areas-very soothing as well as a nice hot shower.
      I used a TENS machine too along the way.

It is very important after this type of mega surgery not to dwell on every pain, ache, jab, spasm otherwise you will GO NUTS. Keep moving. Work on getting stronger.

If the pain is gradually subsiding you are getting better. If the narcotics are no longer working your body is getting tolerant and you need to get off it. I found other alternatives, as described, better that them. It is NOT good to need them this long-they always stop working.

If you get sore after doing new things -that is normal. If your back still gets tired-that is normal.

If all the stuff I just suggested does not help(and I did them all) get a second opinion if your surgeon cannot find a reason after your next check-up.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I haven't been posting very often the last few months, but I'm still out here, keeping up with the interesting posts and occasionaly putting in my 2 cents if I think I can be of any comfort. This post immediatley caught my eye. I have been thinking about posting on this subject as well. I will be 9 months post-op Aug 8. I still have an enormous amount of pain, my surgeon is aware and told me I was not unusual. I am up and going - close to my old routine, but if I want to continue - between noon and 2 pm I will get relief from half of 1 dose of the narcotic pain relievers. I have tried to take a tylenol, alleve, motrin and even Ultram (Tramadol) a non narcotic pain reliever but it doesn't give me enough relief to keep going. I am bike riding an average of 3 miles a day( in the a.m.), I do some arm exercises and walk 3 times a week. Karen ~ I am a retired med-surg. nurse and I have so much admiration for you, back at work. There is no way I could do the floor for an entire shift, keep up the good work. Guess I just need to be more tolerant and keep on truckin' because in every other way my surgery has given me back my life.
        Regards,
        Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
        Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

Oklahoma docs

I think the advice posted is excellent, but if you really think you need to see a doctor, I would highly recommend a couple of guys in the OKC metro. I know for me insurance is a really big deal, but if not, you might call and see if they can help. In OKC, there is a Dr. James Odor. He operated on me in 1996 and since then, many have said that he is great. I had a very positive experience with him but he is no longer on my insurance. Second, in Norman, is Dr. William Harris. He has helped me find solutions and weigh the pros and cons. I have also heard from many sources that he is a great surgeon. I am having revision surgery in six months and it will not be with either of these doctors because I want to go to someone who is experienced specifically in revision surgery, BUT, for problem solving and to be certain there is nothing else wrong, I would not hesitate to go to either of these wonderful doctors.

Hope this helps!

kam
          Last edited by d_ann; 08-01-2005, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X