Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kate's Surgery

Hi again everyone!
    Just dropping a quick line to let you all know that Kate had her revision surgery on Friday the 15th. It took about 4 hours and went very well. She came home yesterday and other than the surgical pain is doing very well. Her doctor gave us the hardware they took out of her (at her request). We are all amazed at the size and weight of the stuff they took out of her!!! As soon as I can I'll post of picture of all of it. Kinda morbidly interesting I guess.
    There was 1 fusion that wasn't as solid as her doctor would have liked so he filled the "spongey" areas with donor bone. She will have to wear a brace for a while but we are not sure how long. On the bright side, due to the expert work of her surgeons there was no chest tube which will really speed her recovery up. She had a little air in her chest cavity and a little in her lung but all of it has been reabsorbed.
    Thank you all for all of your prayers and good thoughts. I'll keep you updated on her progress.
    Kathy

Hi Kathy....

It's good to hear from you, and I'm glad that Kate is doing well. Did you ever get a second opinion or did you just decide to go ahead with the implant removal?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,
      I tried to get a second opinion but due to the time frame it was impossible. With the pain she was in, I took a leap of faith and went ahead with the surgery as planned. So far I'm glad I did. I do appreciate all your help tho. Guess I should have looked into second opinions sooner.
      I'll keep you posted on Kate, and thanks again!
      Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy. If you ever get a photo of the more recent x-rays, I'd really love to see them. I'm dying to know what you could feel on Kate's back.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Kathy,
          Great to hear that it all went well. Send Katie my best wishes and hope her recovery is speedy! I can remember when i had my rod removed, it felt so different after ( once the pain had worn away!) I am sure you will keep us all posted and please send her my best wishes all the way from the UK!
          Love joannexx

Comment

Hello!

Just sending my best wishes for Kate, I know she'll make a speedy recovery

Comment

woo hoo! to kathy

Kathy,

I haven't checked in here in awhile but have been thinking about Kate and wondering how it all turned out. I am so glad to hear all is well. I'm wondering if you have shared with her how much mental energy you put into this before it all happened. Please do tell her that there are lots of us out her in cyberspace wishing her a very quick and complete recovery and a fantastic fall semester!

kam

Comment

Working...
              X