Scoliosis and Sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and Sight

My fiance was told by a neurologist that his scoliosis was affecting a nerve that had to do with sight, that's why his eyesight is progressively getting worse.

I find this odd and somewhat unusual given most of the nerves affected by scoliosis are nowhere near the face and eye sockets.

Does anybody know anything about this or where I could go to find further information?

I did a quick search on google since I never heard of this myself and I found this site:

http://www.chclibrary.org/micromed/00065860.html

Direct quote from there:

"Peripheral nerves carry motor commands to the muscles and internal organs, and they carry sensations from these areas and from the body's surface. (Sensory data from the head, including sight, sound, smell, and taste, do not pass through the spinal cord and are not affected by most SCIs.) Damage to the spinal cord interrupts these signals. The interruption damages motor functions that allow the muscles to move, sensory functions such as feeling heat and cold, and autonomic functions such as urination, sexual function, sweating, and blood pressure."

You might want to try a search too, but hopefully someone else from here might know more about this.
    Age 28
    diagnosed at age 12
    wore a boston brace until age 14
    No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
    T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
    L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
    2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
    2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Is your boyfriend's scoliosis severe?

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Carebear, I'll certainly look into that.

And I'm not sure Linda, to be truthful, we don't discuss it much, I'm not sure exactly how 'severe' severe is where this illness is concerned.

I know that his tail bone is fused to his pelvis and that he also gets severe headaches from the scoliosis, but that's about it.

Comment

The only thing I could find in the literature referred to very severe scoliosis. If your boyfriend had really severe scoliosis, his back would be very deformed.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

No, it's not deformed all that much. He has a hard time standing completely straight sometimes and you can tell the spine is curved when you see him without a shirt on, but there's really not more than that.

Thanks for helping me out, I'm researching it.

Comment

Scoliosis and vision

Annecdotally, I told my eye doctor that, previously, both my eyes needed the same correction, but as soon as my posture began changing I needed a stronger presciption on the weaker side of my body. So it could be that an underlying condition could cause both rather than the scoliosis being the causative factor.

For myself, I thought of checking into the possibility of Marfan's Syndrome. In a syndrome such as this, a connective tissue disorder causes both possible scoliosis and vision problems.

Comment

vision has two components, the sensory and motor.

the eye muscles are innervated by few different cranial nerves, so it is possible that scoliosis might affect your vision overall.
                30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                2005 - T50, L31
                bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Working...
                X