Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scoliosis website for kids,teens and parents!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scoliogal, i dont think you should have the operation, not with a 38degree curve anyway. its not worth it for that small a curve!
    hope your ok
    speak soon
    sheena xx

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliGal
      Im 15 and i have a 38 degree curve. My doc says that I should be planning for a surgery date next summer. Is surgery the right thing to do? Im close to borderline.
      get a second opinion from another surgeon. i always think if a curve is (in relative terms) that low and not showing signs of rapidly progressing then 15 is quite young to be having surgery. there is also potentially a 5 degree margin of error when making manual measurements using xrays (so your curve may even be 33 degrees), but i think a second opinion is in order. most doctors won't consider surgery until a curve hits 40 degrees, and even then there are other factors to consider
      diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
      braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
      fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
      Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
      scoliosis support forum

Comment

HI Spinekids guys!!!! It's Cassity in case u didn't notice the username! lol!
        Cassity
        I have kyphosis
        65* curve a CTLSO low-profile Milwaukee brace

Comment

i agree with marmyte. they dont consider surgery unless it is progressing and it may cause future problems with breathing, etc.
          my scoliosis wasnt going to cause me any problems, but it was pushing my ribcage and squashing it all up. my breathing capacity was decreased from 100% to 60%, and the only real reason they did my surgery was because it looked bad (the hump) and because the degrees was extreme (98).
          hope your well
          sheena xxx

Comment

so.. if ur here and ur not a member of spinekids.. then join cuz its great and i know u'll love it!

Comment

YEA!!! ALL OF US PEEPS FROM SPINEKIDS ROCK!!!!!!!!
              ~Shannon~
              Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
              13 months Post-op
              E-mail me!:
              starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Scholarships for students with Scoliosis

I'm just curious, i've been reading quite a bit of posts about this topic but have seen no answers. I was wondering if anyone knew of any potential scholarships for students attending colleges that have gone been diagnosed with scoliosis? I am a 17 year old girl, trying to get scholarships. I've had 3 scoliosis surgery and was braced from ages 7 to 15. My family and I are in need of as much financial aid as we can get and I think that if there isn't a scholarship for this diagnosis, then there needs to be. Please contact me with any information. Thanks!

Comment

why should there be a scholarship? i don't see the connection...
                  laura
                  ME!
                  homeschooled freshman
                  i am obsessed with competitive policy debate!

MY SCOLI!!!
                  diagnosed June, 2005

curves 34*T and 32*L
                  wearing a Boston brace
                  at least 20 hours a day
                  next appt. in a month

Comment

I am one odd person......

Go SpineKIDS!!! YAY!!! They have better smilies than here though...And you can have an avatar...

Comment

Working...
                    X