No announcement yet.

ScoliMoli! Instincts were right.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renee, did you get the new version of the book? I read the a copy of the old version and it was very helpful regarding decisions. I ordered the new copy months ago and it is apparently still coming. You must have ordered before me or I will be getting it soon. Wonderful book!!! Kris

Comment

I saw the book recommended somewhere else and tried to order it but the website wouldn't let me order that day. I'll try again. Thanks for the recommendation. Cheryl
      NCM

Comment

Kris,

I did order the new edition. I ordered by phone because I don't like to order anything online and the book came in less than a week. Maybe you should try again.

Renee

Comment

David Wolpert's book is excellent, and I would highly recommend it to anyone, parent or patient, facing scoliosis surgery.

Susanna
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Renee

Reading your story makes me feel as though I am reading our biography, the situations are so similar.

Our 14 year old daughter has been monitored for kyphotic curvature. Prior measurements were about 17 degrees and we were told to have another x ray in a year. Well I too thought that something was not looking quite about 6 months later. We finally went in 9 months after the 17 degree x ray and she measured 70 degree, now way beyond anything that bracing can help with!

It looks like she will need both and anterior and posterior fusion. We have an appointmen to meet with the surgeon on 9/23 and then as you said start the ball rolling in terms of pre op testing and appointments. I too, feel as though we are on a roller coaster and all I can say is that I want off! The whole thing just has me stressed out beyond belief.

Sienna will be starting her first year of high school this coming up Monday. Missing school and friends for 6 weeks is also concerning although I am told that the school will have a home tutor come over to assist her with homework and shuffle school work back and forth.

It sounded like November was a reasonible time frame for the surgery. Unfortunately, there is no break from school here for us until Christmas vacation in late Dec early Jan.

Where is your son going to have his surgery? We live near Sacramento and are going to be at Shriners in downtown Sac. next to the UCD Med Center. Looks like we might be neighbors

Please keep me posted......Lisa

Comment

Hi Lisa,

Nice to hear from you. Wow, it amazes me how fast some curves progress. Is your daughters curve a "single" curve and will she need anterior surgery (in addition to the posterior) because of the kyphosis?

My son started high school yesterday. At registration I spoke with his counselor about his situation and she has already notified his teachers, school nurses about his scoliosis and upcoming surgery in December. She assured me the school will work with me post-surgery re: tutoring and homework during recovery, setting up a 504 health plan once he returns to school. I'm really starting to worry about him going back to school post-op, the high school is pretty large, campus and population-wise. He also is carrying a pretty heavy academic load - all his classes are honors/AP and hopefully this whole surgery ordeal won't affect his GPA too much - something I will have to work out with teachers.

I feel lucky that our school district is on the "modified" year-round sched. At the high school level they get a 2 week break middle and elem. get a 3-week break, which will help me out some with my other 2 children. We live in San Marcos, which is in San Diego Co. Wish you were closer, but at least it's nice to talk to someone in the same state. (No offense to the others, LOL). Joe will be having his surgery at Children's Hosp. of San Diego which in my research and from speaking with others, has an excellent reputation. Same for his Dr.(Peter Newton). I would love to keep in contact - feel free to e-mail me anytime at rdomenici@cox.net. Take care and best wishes -

Renee

Comment

hi,

My name is Erika, I had surgery in 2001, and I wasn't done growing yet, and I am having problems because of it, So here is my suggestion for you, have you tried physicall therapy, It minght help stop the curve at least for a little while maybe then your son can get some more growing done! just a suggestion, I'm getting ready to have my second surgery in December of this year. i hope everything goes well for you and your son. I'm always available to talk if you have any other questions or concernce.

erika
                Erika
                Posterior spinal fusion 2001
                52* before first surgery
                23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
                33* before surgery
                30* after surgery

Comment

Hi Ericka,

If you don't mind, could you be more specific about the problems you are having any why a 2nd surgery??

Renee

Comment

Working...
                  X