My daughter Olivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughter Olivia

It was last October when my husband and I found out my daughter Olivia who is now 3 years old has scoliosis with a curve at 24 degree. She did a lot of tests including MRI which all came back normal. We were shock, scared, and sad when we first found out. We ware told by our doctor that she needs to start wearing a brace. It broke my heart to learn that she has wear this hard and uncomfortable brace alomst 24 hrs a day until she stop growing, which is many years from now. She started wearing the brace in November. Several months later she saw her doctor and had x-ray done with the brace. The x-ray showed no progression. A few months later she saw her doctor again and had x-ray done without wearing the brace. This time the x-ray showed a progression of 10 degree from 24 to 34 degree within just a few short months. We were a littly relaxed with her allowing her to wear the brace for about 14 to 18 hrs a day instead of 23hrs. My husband and I both feel very bad for not making her wear the brace longer. From now on we have to be deligent in making sure she wears the brace for at least 23 hrs a dayand pray to God the the curve will not progress too fast.

Hi cng07...

I'd like to encourage you not to beat yourselves up too much. It's entirely possible that your daughter's curve would have increased anyway.

Would you mind sharing who your daughter's doctor is? I run the Scoliosis Association of San Francisco, a support group for people concerned with scoliosis.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Welcome to the list.

I want to emphasize what Linda said - Please don't beat yourselves up over brace-wearing time. The statistics on brace wearing are a bit unclear. No one can guarantee that wearing a brace will keep the curve from getting worse. The same is true for not wearing a brace at all - no guarantees that a curve would get worse if you never put the thing on her. There are no guarantees with scoliosis. Olivia's age when she progressed from 24 to 34 degrees coincides with a typical growth spurt. Everyone's spine has two growth spurts - one at adolescents and one by age 2-3.

Also, please remember that there is a +/- 5degree margin of error when measuring a curve on an xray. Even by the same person who measured last time. There are too many variables involved to make it be an exact science.

My suggestion would be to make sure you are seeing a PEDIATRIC orthopedist who specializes in scoliosis. Getting second and third opinions is also helpful to know Olivia has the right "game plan" set for her.

I wish you the best and look forward to updates. Keep us posted.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I want to think Linda and Carmell for your comforting words and advise. It makes me feel very good to be able to share my story at this forum and be able to learn from others like myself who are going through the same thing.

My daughter's orthopedist is Dr. James Shively with Kaiser in Oakland CA. My PCP told me that he has many years of experience treating both adults and children.

Linda, Iam considering getting a second opinion. Can you recommend a good pedicatic orthopedis in S.F. (Kaiser or UCSF)? I also like more information about the Scoliosis Association of San Francisco.

Thanks Again!

Comment

Hi cng07....

Dr. Mohammad Diab at UCSF has a great reputation and specializes in the treatment of scoliosis in very young children.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X