Rod removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod removal

Hi, I am 27 and I had the surgery 6 years ago. I had posterior Fusion with the harrington rods. One of the hooks of the rods has been bothering me recently. I saw my doctor (at the hospital for special surgery) and he gave me a cortisone shot. He said to call him in three months and we would set up something for the porition of rod that was bothering me to be removed. Does anyone have a list of some questions I should ask before they are removed? What about any scans to make sure I am totally fused? Are there any side effects to the cortisione shot? Is the relief you may feel from the cortisone shot better/worse that what you can expect from the surgery? Any information anyone can provide would be great. I searched others threads,but still would like additional info! thanks, jenni

I only had the hook out since that was the result of my pain at the time and it helped tremendously. Taking out the whole rod could bring the curve back down the line and not a good idea, wich is why my ortho told me to only take out that hook after a test of cortisone and take care of THAT pain only. The surgery was only an hour, and about a month for full recovery. No bone scan or any other tests done.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

thanks so much! How long where you in the hospital for? how long before you think you could resume a desk job if you had too?

Comment

I had surgery in the morning and left the hospital that night.

As far as you going back to work it is personal to everybody but the pain from surgery is about a few weeks.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Jenr500 - who is your dr. at HSS? I had the top portion of my rod removed by Dr. Harvinder Sandhu at HSS in 2000. Just curious.

LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
          X