Thread: My Revision Experience/ Picture of Broken Rod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Revision Experience/ Picture of Broken Rod

Hello all-

My name is Anna, and I'm 18 years old, and I recently had revision surgery to remove a Harrington rod I had put in place five years ago. About a year ago, I discovered that my rod had actually broken, and I started having really sharp, constant pain around the area of the fracture.

On June 3rd, I went into the hospital for revision surgery. The pain/recovery was NOTHING like the original. I was up walking the day of the surgery, and I went home the day after. I was much more alert right after the surgery than I had been for the first. The pain lasted for about a week, but then I started gaining more and more mobility and feeling increasingly better and stronger every day. I took myself off of percocet and started taking Tylenol about the 5th day, the percocet made me very nautious and sick.

I'm so, so grateful that I had the revision surgery done. I now have no more pain, and it's helped me feel better about my back now that I have all that metal out. Who wants something broken in them anyway?

During the surgery, my doctor determined that the rod broke because of a pseudoarthrosis (failure of fusion) in that specific area. Apparently, micro-movement of the spine in that area eventually built up stress on the rod and broke the metal. Go figure! He removed the rod and added some extra bone graft to that spot, so hopefully I'll be home free from here.

A month has passed, and the only complications I have developed have been a hematoma (pocket filled with blood that's common after surgery) that re-absorbed into my body in about a week, allergies to the adhesive used on the dressings, and some difficult emotional problems -- feeling sad, tired, having bad thoughts and fears about the surgery in general. I'm hopping that the stress/emotional problems I'm having will eventually get better once all the medicine has left my body.

My doctor used the same incision as before, and my scar healed much better and faster than the previous surgery. So, I would definately recommend it to all those who are questioning having revision done. It's made my life so much better.

I was able to keep all the metal my doctor took out of my back, and I thought you all might like to see a variation of what's inside your body. The picture linked below is of a titanium Harrington rod, measuring about 11 inches long when fitted together. The various clamps and wires were used to bolt the rod to my spine. Sorry I couldn't just attatch it, it was too big Enjoy!

Picture of Broken Harrington Rod and Other Hardware

~Anna
    Last edited by guacamoleoly; 07-07-2005 at 01:45 AM.

Hi Anna...

For the record, that's not a Harrington rod. (Harrington rods had areas at the top and bottom of the rod to ratchet the hooks.)

I'd like to encourage you to continue to get checked every year or so for awhile, to be sure that your curves aren't increasing.

Regards,
    Linda

Ha! My apologies. That's what my doctor told me it was...Now I feel stupid *grins*.

Hi...

No need to feel stupid! Some people use the term "Harrington Rod" in the generic sense (like Kleenix).

--Linda

By the way, Anna, who was your surgeon and where are you located?

--Linda

I'm happy that you feel better Anna, I was wondering about you

I am seeing my second opinion tomorrow(Friday), and will see what he has to say about my broken rod. I have a big list of questions! I have read here and weighed a few of my options, that I don't really like for now but will see. My ortho that I have been seeing still thinks that unless the pain increases, to wait for now b/c of what could happen in the future if I take it out, etc.

I was supposed to have an appointment in October for this second opinion, but this lady who is head of secretaries in that hospital went to my dad's shoe store and helped me out, It's good but makes me wonder why they didn't have any space before What clout will do...

I would have liked to see a pic of your X Rays with the broken rod before you got the surgery, would have been nice to compare it with mine... The hardware they took out must weigh some, right?

Anyway, keep on the good attitude and hopefully getting healthier and stronger
    Last edited by sweetness514; 07-07-2005 at 02:01 PM.