Long Term Weight Control After Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Weight Control After Surgery

Am i the only one that has had problems? When i had my surgery i was 16 and weighed 118 lbs and i was 5'8. The doc tells me that i cant gain more then twenty pounds. At the time it didnt seem like that big of a deal, i had been an athlete and i could eat whatever i wanted. When i turned twenty all of a sudden my metabolism just stopped. I had gained about 60 lbs before i knew it. I have since been struggling with my weight. Nothing seems to work. Ive lost it several times by basically starving myself. Ive had two children and now that im in my thirties, it is next to impossible and i know the extra weight is making a bad problem that much worse. Anyone have any ideas? Anything that has worked for them?

Hmmm, diets are hard I know

I used to be very thin, about 100 pounds when I had my surgery at 26, and my height was 5'4". I was always very delicate since I have a small bone density and was struggling to keep my weight at about 110 pounds before the suregry, but since the surgery I had gained up to 35 pounds last year(making me weigh 135) in 7 years; and even if it's not big for a 5'5" person-I grew an inch with the surgery- it's not too good for the back. This last year I have restricted some of my food intake, by cutting some night fast food snacks(even if it was once a week), and increased my exercises by walking more and especially, doing some stationary biking. It helps for the muscle tone that we need in our legs anyway, wich is good. I've lost at least 5 pounds and it is better for me since my weight is more around my waist-I'm apple shaped Cutting some white carbs and sugars is good too, but all in moderation.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

HALLALUA , I thought I was the only one that had put on the weight since surgery. I had A/P in 2002 and my weight was 110 and I wore a size 8. I was 54 years. I now weigh in at 165 . I have been on Rx diet pills/weight watchers/liquid diet shakes etc. I walk 1 mile a day. I have also tried "curves"/swimming/ regular gym/starvation diets to no avail. The most I have lost is 5lbs which was on the starvation diet. I see my doc again to ask for some kind of help. I have NEVER had a weight problem, I'm small boned (under all the fat) and I have always flexuated between a size 6-8. I'm going to ask for another thyroid test and just plain beg for some kind of help tomorrow at the doc's.
      SandyC

Comment

Don't forget..

Muscle weighs more than fat!

I've been kind of following the "French Women Don't Get Fat" book and I've lost 8lbs in the last 2 months. (Smaller portions, eating slower/chewing more eating until you're not hungry anymore, etc.) I can't cut out any food because I love it all too much, but I do take a slightly smaller piece of cake and often share my desserts.

Of course I haven't had my surgery yet so we'll see if that makes a difference. I'd probably just blame the bars.. they've got to weigh about 15lbs each right?
        Age 28
        diagnosed at age 12
        wore a boston brace until age 14
        No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
        T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
        L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
        2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
        2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

I don't know how much the hardware weighs, but it must weigh some. I sometimes attribute age to my weight gain, but I also think that the fact that I was crooked before and now more straight, the weight finally has been able to distribute itself to my body/upper portion, who knows. It's normal to gain weight when you get older, especially after 25-30, but I always struggled to keep my weight ON before, and ate never as healthy and as little as I do now. I think hormones have something to do with it too, as our metabolism changes. But I've noticed wearing my clothes that I did lose some this year even if it shows about 5-7 pounds on the scale, it is true that muscles weigh more than fat and I've put some of those on. It's all a question of habits too, once you cut some foods and do more exercises, you get used to it.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Haha...I ALWAYS subract 3 lbs from my scale weight because that's how much I averaged I gained after surgery (once my weight evened out after recovery)!!!
            Now my secret's out!
            Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
            Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

Working...
            X