Need a Dr. in AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Dr. in AZ

I've been having the typical symptoms of flatback syndrome. Does anyone know a doctor in AZ that does revision surgery. My original surgery was in 1972, and I was pain free for years until about 8 years ago. Now it's become unbearable most of the time, and I'm having trouble locating a doctor to help in the Phoenix area. Please reply if you know ANY docs that handle this type of surgery in AZ.

Thanks!
    Deb
    Deb
    1972 - 54 degree lumbar curvature
    Grew 2 1/2 inches in 6 hours
    Quite attached to my harrington rod T-9 to L-5
    Ready for revision surgery

Deb...

William Stevens was trained by the best (David Bradford), so probably has done a lot of revisions.

http://orthodoc.aaos.org/WStevensMD/

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dr in AZ

Hello Deb!
      I'm currently seeing Dr. Crandall at Sonoran Spine Center in Phoenix. Very pleased with this facility. They treats lots of different spine conditions.
      Colleen
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Linda,
        Thanks for the info. I was seeing Dr. Stevens, and unfortunately he no longer contracts with my current health care provider (First Health). I'm caught up in the trap of an exclusive provider network that will not cover out of network providers. This, unfortunately is the only plan my employer offers. So, I'm trying to determine what other options I might have. Dr. Stevens is great, and from what he tells me he also studied under Taylor King Smith, who was one of the pioneers in scoliosis surgery back in the 60s and on. Thanks again.

Deb
        Originally posted by LindaRacine
        Deb...

William Stevens was trained by the best (David Bradford), so probably has done a lot of revisions.

http://orthodoc.aaos.org/WStevensMD/

Regards,
        Linda
        Deb

Comment

Found a Dr. in AZ--Partial Harrington Rod Removal?

Just wanted to share with the group that I was able to find a doctor in AZ. Dr. Dennis Crandall at the Sonoran Spine Center. Great mannerism, and he indicated that he's probably done twice as many revision surgeries for those who have harrington rod malalignment syndrome (flatback syndrome) than any other doctor in the state. I will need surgery very soon, and he indicated that he will need to remove a portion of my harrington rod, because it is so low (T9-L5) and otherwise won't be able to remove some of the fusion and realign my lower spine.

Was wondering if anyone in the group has had a partial rod removal, and if so, any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
          Deb

Comment

Thanks, CSC

CSC,
            I saw Dr. Crandall today, and really liked his approach, his mannerisms, etc. Seems quite familiar with my condition and I felt totally comfortable with him and his recommendations. Thanks for the tip!
            Originally posted by csc
            Hello Deb!
            I'm currently seeing Dr. Crandall at Sonoran Spine Center in Phoenix. Very pleased with this facility. They treats lots of different spine conditions.
            Colleen
            Deb

Comment

Glad I could be of help......

Deb,
              Glad that you were able to get some answers. Hoping everything will go well for you. I have an app't in Oct- surgical consultation.
              CSC
              CSC
              Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
              S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Partial Rod REmoval

Deb, I had partial rod removal in 2000. Did not have to have revision surgery, just removal of the rod. The doctor intended to have the entire rod removed but since it was in there since 1981, it was really fused to the spine and he only took out the top portion, the part that was giving me the problem (about 3 inches or so). It took three plus hours for them to do that small amount. Your rod is in your back much longer than mine so I would imagine it will take some time for them to remove it. What did your doctor say about that? As far as recovery, it's nothing compared to the intial surgery but as I mentioned, I didn't have revision, just partial rod removal. Good luck and take care. LYNN
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                X