No announcement yet.

My son's surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jc3, hi! We talked (posted) months ago about the time your daughter was having surgery because we were going to Dr. Boachie for a second opinion and you had already decided on him for your surgeon. We decided on staying in New Jersey and having Dr. Laufer do the surgery.

Anyway, yes, the bed was a disaster for us too. I felt so bad as my son is so independent and he was so helpless laying there not being able to get up. If it weren't so sad, it would have been funny - it reminded me of an old 3 stoogies routine. I finally said lets all just relax here - at some point, he'll be able to manuever himself around where we can help him up without a lot of pain. And, finally, he was able to but now he will probably never try the bed again until he is totally healed.

Sleeping in the recliner seems to be working for him, although, Rachael, he does have some soreness and stiffness from being in the same position. He has been moving from the recliner to the couch today. Also, Rachael, thank you for mentioning the sweats. He did that a lot in the hospital and I kept thinking he was having fevers that spiked and then broke because he would soak the bedsheets and they would come in and change them out a couple of times a day. He was on diludin (sp?) not morphine but I bet it was from that, now that you mention it.

Comment

Glad to hear that someone else went through that sweating phase, thought that maybe that was just me!
      When I tried to sleep in a bed finally, I tried to place pillows around me like they did in the hospital. I had one under my head, one between my knees and arms, and one slightly under my back. I did need quite a bit of help to turn over or reposition, but still to this day I sleep with quite a few pillows. This seemed to help after the initial recovery.
      Sounds like you guys are making progress! Keep it up
      Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
      Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

hi carolnj
        yes i do remember talking to you. I am so glad that the surgery went well. Isn't it better being on the post op side?? If you're not saying yes to that yet, you will be shortly. The first few weeks are hard, but it does get better. Someone told me after my daughters surgery that you won't see progress in the beginning day by day, but you will notice differences week by week and it is true. After about 3 1/2 weeks things were soo much better. It was such a disaster also the whole bed thing for my daughter that she didn't go back to her bed for a really long time. She will be 8 months post op and i'm not kidding i don't think she slept in her bed for 5-6 months. We did buy a mattress topper, which is really nice and i wish i had bought it sooner maybe she would have went in her bed sooner.
        good luck and keep us posted on recovery.
        Jennifer

Comment

Working...
        X