rods and metal detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rods and metal detectors

Has anyone had the problem of setting off the metal detectors at airports or anything of that nature. I'm just curious because of the sensitivity level of the detectors post 9-11, and I'm wondering how that works out for those of you with rods or any type of metal implant. thanks
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Hi itsjustme,

I have flown four times since my surgery and I have not set off any metal detectors.

Gail

Comment

Hi itsjustme,

If you click on search and type in metal detectors you will find all kinds of posts on the subject. It sounds like most people don't set it off but I do. I never have before the surgery but after the surgery I do everytime and that's without shoes, no brace, or an underwire bra. When they wand my jewelry it doesn't beep, but when they go up and down my back it beeps like crazy. Also noticed that we have alot more in common! We have the same birthdate, except for the year! Have a good day!
      Last edited by Theresa; 06-25-2005, 12:07 PM.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I have never set off a metal dectector with my rods however my doctor gave me a note just incase and I would reccomend everyone do the same!

Comment

My rods have not set off the metal detector or the hand held wand when I have been unlucky enough to be fully searched. The has been the case in the U.S as well as various foreign countries.

Comment

i'm glad i found this post since my daughter will be flying for the first time next month and i was wondering if she would set off the metal detectors. I guess i should get a note from the dr just in case. You would think they would give you something to keep in your wallet just in case.
            Jennifer

Comment

I have never set off detectors and I have flown 15+ times. I have stainless steel hardware. I would guess that what type of hardware you have would be a variable. I do agree that carrying a note would be a good idea, but it seems that if they just wand you and pat you, you would still be able to pass on in the worst case scenario.
              Harrington Rods in 1991 at age 15
              Surgery at Scottish Rite in Dallas, TX

Fused from T-4 to L-3

Comment

i think my daughter may have titanium rods, but i'm not even sure. I will have to ask at our next appointment. I can't believe that i don't even remember what kind of rods they used.

Comment

jenn
                  nicole has titanium rods small ones because she tiny. glad to her your letting her good she must be on cloud nine.
                  theresa
                  THERESA

Comment

I no longer have rods in my back but when I did I set off most detectors. Especially in Chicago and London airports. This was actually back way before 9-11 too. Now that I don't have the rods I never set the detectors off unless I am wearing my AFO brace (foot brace).
                    Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

Hi,
                      Don't worry....you cannot set off the metal detectors...I didn't.....even tho..I still had a doctors note just in case....
                      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                      fused T4 -L3
                      Hip graft
                      Grown 1 1/2 inches
                      25/o upper T 15/o
                      53/o T 15/o
                      37/o L 6/o
                      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                      New York City

August 6, 2004
                      Pulmonary Embolism
                      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                      increasing pain at the T4/5
                      point irratation heardwear

Comment

thanks for the feedback everyone. sorry for my absence. I've been out of country doing some travelling. (got to celebrate the 4th of July in 3 different Countries! talk about cool)

Well, my surgery date is fast approaching. I have to give blood on the 7th, we'll see how that goes.

thanks again!

~Shelley
                        25 yr old female =^_^=
                        Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
                        Lumbar curve 23 degrees
                        surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
                        Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

hi theresa
                          yes, nicole is so happy that we are letting her go. I am still worried though and still wasn't sure until last week if we were letting her go. I'm sure i will be a wreck while she is gone. I will talk to boachie about it when we go see him in 2 weeks. How is your nicole doing?? You go back in aug i think you said?
                          Jennifer

Comment

hey jennifer
                            nicoles doing well still has some aches and pains and the stairs she still can't do normal it hurts more going up now going down is getting better. so i keep her downstair for now. we go back in aug hopefully she will be able to go in the pool and swim alittle. she very bored and sick of me telling her not to do this and that. i would be worried to if nicole was going without me but she'll be ok.
                            theresa
                            THERESA

Comment

hi theresa
                              i did see a post from your nicole saying that the stairs bother her. I wonder why. Well i guess everyone is different. My nicole never complained about the stairs. I'm sure she is bored and driving you nuts. My nicole begged us to wait until the summer to have her surgery and not do it over the winter during school. I just wanted it over with as quick as possible and i always say to her now aren't you glad we didn't wait. She wouldn't be able to be doing all the things she can do now. But i guess anytime has it's differences. The winter was hard because of the snow and ice. I was really nervous that she would fall. I didn't think of that when we booked it. I'm sure next month when you go back he will lift some restrictions and she will be able to enjoy the rest of her summer a little more. How long has it been now?
                              Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                              X