Girls vs. Boys with scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls vs. Boys with scoliosis

Hi, I heard theres a difference when boys have scoliosis compared to when girls have it, whats the difference?

Hi,

The only thing I have heard is that AIS may show up at an earlier age in boys than in girls. I was diagnosed at age 12, I noticed my sons scoliosis when he was 10. Also heard that boys tend to be much less compliant when it comes to wearing brace, exercising. (This I believe!)

FlowerPower

Comment

I don't know if boys are less compliant with wearing braces, exercising, etc., but I know my daugther 1) didn't wear either of her braces like she was supposed to do; 2) she didn't do her exercises before surgery; and 3) she still doesn't do her exercises now after surgery even though she admits that it really, really helps with her flexibility/mobility!

I give all the girls and boys a lot of credit when they comply with wearing their brace. It is not an easy thing to do sometimes.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi-
        I am a female and I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 12 and had surgery. I am 16 now and this year in English I did my research paper on Scoliosis. I remember one part of the difference was that girls are more likely to develop scoliosis (at least thats what I found) and there was a ratio of girls to boys but im not sure what it was ( I THINK it was a ration or 7:1 of girls getting scoliosis over boys, but once again im not completely possitive if thats the right ratio!) As for the bracing aspect, I cant say much because I had surgery.

Abby
        18 year old female
        scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
        corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
        After second surgery, fusion was a success.
        Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
        Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Working...
        X