at the hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at the hospital

Hi to everyone! Shelby had her growth rod surgery done on monday. Everything seems to have gone well. She claims to have a pain level of 5 on a scale of 1-10. Last night she was taken off the morphin, so today it's a 6 or 7. She's not quite ready for everything they want her to do, but she's trying. They wanted her walking yesterday to possibly be out today, Hah! She did walk to her doorway for me this morning, after having bandages changed and sitting in the chair. That was a little to much for her and she threw up her Pedia-Sure and pain meds. We're waiting till the next round of meds to walk further. She had to do x-rays yesterday, which were rough. One did not come out right, so we have to do it again later.
    My mom and sister are working on setting up a bed for her in the living room of our house today. I wish I had been warned that stairs might be too much the first few weeks, I'd have changed things last week. Luckily we have a trundle bed that can be moved.
    After three long days I had to have my mom sleep in the room with her last night. I was too exhausted and knew we'd have a lot to do today. My sister said she never seen me walk so fast to the car. Take Care, Emily

Emily,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear Shelby is on her road to recovery. Hopefully she'll have many more good days than setbacks. Nausea is a big deal. Constipation is another big deal. Lots of fluids. Walking short distances to get things "moving" again, etc. You're doing great.

Did they give you an idea of how soon she may need an expansion surgery? Just curious... I know its very soon after surgery.

Good luck and keep up the great work.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I was told three to six months on the extension, but I believe we'll know more at her check up appointment.
      Shelby's rods were attached differently. Instead of being attached to the spine at the bottom and top, the top was attached to the rib cage. We have to make sure they hold before we go any further.
      Boy did she grow! I haven't measured her yet, but I was guessing she'd grow about 2 in., she looks more like 4in. in growth. When she's more patient at home I'll check. Emily

Comment

Hi Emily,

How's Shelby today? Her rods sound similar to something Braydon has. His spine support rod is attached to an upper rib at the top, and to the L1 vertebrae at the bottom. It lays at an angle next to his shoulderblade. Braydon's body has accepted his rods very nicely. No migration or any other problems. He's had his rods (two) since August 2001.

Sounds like Shelby is straighter, more balanced, and taller! Good for her! Let us know how she's doing. And how you are doing.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
        X