Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shelley
    Dear Trulyaries,
    Can you describe with some detail the exercises that you do at the fitness club as well as the ones that a person shouldn't do because too much stress is put on the lower back? I also have a long fusion (T-3 to L-3) and am trying to separate the "good" exercises from the "bad" exercises.
    Shelley
    Hi Shelley,
    I can tell you some details and give you my experience, however, I do believe you should work with a physical therapist if you haven't already. I have had two bouts of therapy, the first was through the hospital after my first long fusion. This second therapy was with a group affiliated with my surgeon's office and I was much more satisfied with this second regimen. Besides, it was nice that, if needed, they could consult with my surgeon just by walking downstairs!

Basically what they taught me is at all times to keep the abdomen tight and the low back stable - not flexing, and flat to the floor while doing any of the floor exercises. For instance, knee to chest, hamstring stretch, piriformis stretch, crunches are GOOD.

The BAD exercises involve (1) twisting the trunk of the body such as the Nautilus rotary torso machine, and (2) any that put stress on the low back such as power lifting, squats, clean jerks (I couldn't do these even if I wanted to!) (3) any that involve bending the torso excessively such as touch toes, full situp (Again, I couldn't do it if my life depended on it!) Any forward or back bending exercises I have been given focus on keeping the entire trunk of the body erect, not bent.

For aerobics, walking, treadmill, stationary bicycle = GOOD; Stair stepper = BAD (Too much hip rotation.)

Again, I encourage you to seek physical therapy because I mentioned only exercises commonly known; the other exercises I was given need to be shown to you by a professional. And once I got the concept of keeping the low back and trunk stable, it got easier to identify the movements to avoid.

My biggest concern right now is walking. I can do 30-60 minutes on the treadmill, but that's because I can hold on. If I try to walk outdoors I can't do more than 10 minutes before I start bending forward and have to sit down for awhile. I'm hoping this will improve with time. (I'm 7 months out from my last surgery.)

Hope this helps.
    Truly Aries
    FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
    10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
    8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
    5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
    2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
    3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Hi, Truly Aries,
      Thank you so much for your response. You have provided solid advice for everyone with a long fusion. I had my surgery many years ago. Despite working with a trainer for the past five years, my biggest issue is difficulty in balancing on the side without the rib hump. I can balance easily on my right foot which is the side of the rib hump. I really have to concentrate hard to stand on my left foot for more than a few seconds without falling over (the side without the rib hump which is the weaker side). There has been some improvement, but the balancing issue is a far greater challenge than the strengthening and conditioning work. Does anyone else have this problem? What have you done to improve your balance?

Comment

Hi Shelley,
        Yes, I have a problem with balancing as well. It's a lot better than it was after my first surgery, when my whole body felt like a bobble-head doll!
        I have 3-4 exercises to do specifically for balance, and I have seen improvement over time, but for some reason, they are my most unfavorite exercises.
        TrulyAries
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

To Truly Aries and others,
          Here is one of my "hated" balancing exercises. Stand on left foot. Lift right leg off ground and bend knee (so that your foot is behind you). Put left hand on hip. Bend left knee and using right hand, touch floor in front of left foot with right hand. Do this 6 times then switch hands and feet and do 6 more times. I have little trouble doing this exercise when standing on my right foot, however when I stand on my left foot I usually fall over before completing the 6 reps.
          To those of you who have had surgery, please be sure you are cleared by your surgeon or physical therapist before trying this exercise or any other one.
          So what are everyone's "unfavorite" balancing exercises?

Comment

Working...
          X