Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deb's Surgery - All Done!

Hi-
    My daughter's surgery was Mon. June 6. Everything went as planned and she was doing great until we got home. Down hill from then on. She had nausea from the meds and wasn't keeping anything down. We also had a problem with urinating at home, not enough fluids I think.
    These last three days have been the longest ever.

My advice to everyone - stay in the hospital as long as possible!! The nursing staff left it up to us, but they were encouraging us to go home because she was doing everything they wanted her to do. Be sure that before you go home your child has been removed from everything and hasn't been given anything besides what you can administer at home for a full 24 hrs.

We got the nausea under control by giving her the pain meds 1/2 dose every 2 hours instead of full dose every 4 hours. Also they must have some sort of food - she liked a teddy graham (yes, just one), with 1/2 of an otter pop. This was enough to keep it all down.

I thank God that she is doing better the last 12 hours, and hope to get her back to walking around and sitting up again.
    _____
    Mary
    Mom of Deb, Surgery Sched. 6/6/05

Mary,
    Glad Deb's surgery went well. Sorry to hear she got so sick from the oral meds. So did Crystal, but we were still in the hospital when that happened. The hardest part was finding something she would eat. We finally ordered pizza from a pizza parlor while in the hospital. She was glad to have that and it was good to see her eat. She was able to start finally keeping meds down. Things will improve, I promise. It is at about the three and one-half week mark things really start getting better. Really push the fluids to her so she does use the restroom and doesn't get constipated.

Glad your home and you'll make it through this.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear things have been difficult on both of you at home. I understand. Remember the things you've already learned so that she continues to have a good recovery - 1. hydration! Very important to drink plenty. That also helps with constipation. 2. do what is needed to keep from being constipated. Water, light exercise, even stool softners help. Narcotic meds and being immobile combined with anesthesia, etc. make for bad constipation probs. 3. REST when needed. Overdoing is one of the problems in the beginning.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hey Mary
        Things Will Get Better As Nikki And Carmell Said Keep Her Drinking Fliuds My Nicole Had So Many Problems With Constipation. She Wasn't Drinking Enough And Eating Very Little At First.
        Keep Us Posted
        Theresa
        THERESA

Comment

Thanks for all the tips on hydration. We finally found the Brisk Ice Tea that she had been asking for, and I'm gonna pick up some stool softeners next time I'm out - just in case.

We had our follow up appointment today. Her curve is now 18 degres from 51 degrees. Her shoulders were still uneven but Dr. thinks that they will adjust with time.

She was exhausted from the trip, but managed to eat well again today and we are starting to ween from the meds a little bit.

Mary
          _____
          Mary
          Mom of Deb, Surgery Sched. 6/6/05

Comment

Working...
          X