Surgery on Mon. June 20th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on Mon. June 20th

Well one week from Mon I will be haveing Surgery on My Khphosis(90 degree angle) now Iam not scared(dont know why) but i do have some questions if you would be kind enough to answer them

How long after the surgery is over Should i try to walk?
    After Surgery are you in need of something to eat?
    How long after sugery would it be safe to throw baseball's lightly?
    How long after sugery would it be safe to play baseball at a higher leavel?
    Has anyone ever heard of DR.Gordon Donald in Shrewsberry(NJ)
    How much sleep do you get after the sugery?
    How do you sleep after the sugery?
    I know its a lot of questions but With my first sugery what do you want? Thanks so much
    97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Hi,

Good luck with your surgery. I had surgery on April 26th so I'll try to answer your questions:

1.How long after the surgery is over Should i try to walk?

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and the physical therapist got me out of bed on Thursday. The nurses and physical therapists will decide when you will get up.

2.After Surgery are you in need of something to eat?

I wasn't even hungry until about 3 or 4 days after surgery. The nurses won't let you eat until they hear your intestines "waking up" I ate on the 6th day for the first time. However, I was very thirsty right when I woke up from my surgery, but I couldn't have anything. About 4 hours after my surgery, I was allowed to have some ice chips.

For numbers 3 and 4 I'm not sure. I haven't had any experience with Dr. Shrewsberry but I'm sure he is a wondeful surgeon.

6. How much sleep do you get after surgery?

I got a ton of sleep after my surgery. For the week I was in the hospital, all I really did was sleep, walk, watch a little tv and drink fluids.

7. How did you sleep after surgery?

When I was in the hospital, for the first 4 or 5 hours after my surgery I was on my back. Later on, I got turned onto my side. I was turned every 2 hours to either my back, left side or right side. When I got home I was able to turn myself and a few times I've woken up on my stomach. I find it more comfortable to sleep on my side or back rather than my stomach, but I do find my stomach the most comfortable sometimes.

Good luck!!
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by ANIMAL LOVER12
      Hi,

Good luck with your surgery. I had surgery on April 26th so I'll try to answer your questions:

1.How long after the surgery is over Should i try to walk?

I had my surgery on a Tuesday and the physical therapist got me out of bed on Thursday. The nurses and physical therapists will decide when you will get up.

2.After Surgery are you in need of something to eat?

I wasn't even hungry until about 3 or 4 days after surgery. The nurses won't let you eat until they hear your intestines "waking up" I ate on the 6th day for the first time. However, I was very thirsty right when I woke up from my surgery, but I couldn't have anything. About 4 hours after my surgery, I was allowed to have some ice chips.

For numbers 3 and 4 I'm not sure. I haven't had any experience with Dr. Shrewsberry but I'm sure he is a wondeful surgeon.

6. How much sleep do you get after surgery?

I got a ton of sleep after my surgery. For the week I was in the hospital, all I really did was sleep, walk, watch a little tv and drink fluids.

7. How did you sleep after surgery?

When I was in the hospital, for the first 4 or 5 hours after my surgery I was on my back. Later on, I got turned onto my side. I was turned every 2 hours to either my back, left side or right side. When I got home I was able to turn myself and a few times I've woken up on my stomach. I find it more comfortable to sleep on my side or back rather than my stomach, but I do find my stomach the most comfortable sometimes.

Good luck!!

Thanks So much for the help and words.
      Also had to ask another question I forgot in my question list Is it ok to play 3rd/C in baseball next spring? If anyone knows that would be of a help. My Sugeron said Ok but did not sound verry happy about it.
      97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Comment

Hi Witty!

First, I want to wish you the best of luck with your surgery!

Q: How long after the surgery is over should i try to walk?

A: The doctor will probably have you walking a day or two after surgery. You will start out just sitting on the edge of your bed, and then just walking a few feet. By the time you leave the hospital, you will have taken a few long walks up and down the halls of the hospital.

Q: After Surgery are you in need of something to eat?

A: You will not be able to eat or drink anything for 2 or 3 days after surgery. Don't worry, you won't really feel hungry either. Your stomach kind of falls asleep from having such a big operation, and it needs to wake up before you can eat again.

Q: How long after sugery would it be safe to throw baseballs lightly?

A: You will probably be able to toss a baseball lightly 1 to 3 months after surgery. It is important that you don't twist in the beginning!

Q: How long after sugery would it be safe to play baseball at a higher level?

A: Most doctors will say 1 to 2 years before you should play any contact sports.

Q: Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Gordon Donald in Shrewsberry (NJ).

A: Sorry, I've never heard of him.

Q: How much sleep do you get after the sugery?

A: You will probably sleep almost all the time the first few days after surgery. You will probably wake up a lot because you will be in pain, and will need medicine to help feel better.

Q: How do you sleep after the sugery?

A: You will sleep wherever you can get comfortable. That might mean on the sofa, or in a recliner, or wherever you can fall asleep in the beginning.

Again, good luck with everything!
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Originally posted by susannajon
          Hi Witty!

First, I want to wish you the best of luck with your surgery!

Q: How long after the surgery is over should i try to walk?

A: The doctor will probably have you walking a day or two after surgery. You will start out just sitting on the edge of your bed, and then just walking a few feet. By the time you leave the hospital, you will have taken a few long walks up and down the halls of the hospital.

Q: After Surgery are you in need of something to eat?

A: You will not be able to eat or drink anything for 2 or 3 days after surgery. Don't worry, you won't really feel hungry either. Your stomach kind of falls asleep from having such a big operation, and it needs to wake up before you can eat again.

Q: How long after sugery would it be safe to throw baseballs lightly?

A: You will probably be able to toss a baseball lightly 1 to 3 months after surgery. It is important that you don't twist in the beginning!

Q: How long after sugery would it be safe to play baseball at a higher level?

A: Most doctors will say 1 to 2 years before you should play any contact sports.

Q: Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Gordon Donald in Shrewsberry (NJ).

A: Sorry, I've never heard of him.

Q: How much sleep do you get after the sugery?

A: You will probably sleep almost all the time the first few days after surgery. You will probably wake up a lot because you will be in pain, and will need medicine to help feel better.

Q: How do you sleep after the sugery?

A: You will sleep wherever you can get comfortable. That might mean on the sofa, or in a recliner, or wherever you can fall asleep in the beginning.

Again, good luck with everything!

Thanks. Its funny everyone I ask about the Baseball thing tells me something diffrent. DR.Donald did say I would be able to play in the spring but did not say what Month

Comment

Hi Witty, Probably the reason you're getting different answers on the baseball question is because alot is going to depend on how you heal. My first surgery last year I was only suppose to be in the hospital for a week and due to some complications it was two weeks. My second surgery last week was on Thursday, June 2nd and I came home Sunday, June 5th. I didn't have any complications this time and I just came along really well so I got to leave early. You're probably not going to like my answer to your baseball question but here goes: My son, who is now 20, has played baseball from the time he was 4. When he turned 9 he started playing select ball as well as league ball. He was about 7 or 8 when he started playing catcher. Playing catcher is the roughest spot on the baseball team. You get beat up pretty bad. I wouldn't push playing catcher this first year until the doctor is pretty sure that you are fused properly. In High School my son was only 160 pounds and sometimes he had guys charging at him that were well over 200 pounds. Now, living down here in Texas we play year round ball, plus he also had some of the best college coaches, ex-pro players, and scouts working with him on a regular basis teaching him all the new techniques on blocking so that he wouldn't get hurt. Getting hurt still happens....Broke his right elbow, cracked a rib from a runner charging him, strains and sprains in the back to name a few. If you have another position that you play, you should consider playing there for awhile if not forever. You really don't what to hurt your chances of healing properly and completely and possibly being messed up for the rest of your life. My guess is that the doctor is concerened about the catching more that playing baseball. I think that you really need to talk to him about it and make sure that you understand everything. I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I'm giving you my honest opinion with my experience of having the surgery and the experience with my son playing catcher. I wish you well!
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
              Hi Witty, Probably the reason you're getting different answers on the baseball question is because alot is going to depend on how you heal. My first surgery last year I was only suppose to be in the hospital for a week and due to some complications it was two weeks. My second surgery last week was on Thursday, June 2nd and I came home Sunday, June 5th. I didn't have any complications this time and I just came along really well so I got to leave early. You're probably not going to like my answer to your baseball question but here goes: My son, who is now 20, has played baseball from the time he was 4. When he turned 9 he started playing select ball as well as league ball. He was about 7 or 8 when he started playing catcher. Playing catcher is the roughest spot on the baseball team. You get beat up pretty bad. I wouldn't push playing catcher this first year until the doctor is pretty sure that you are fused properly. In High School my son was only 160 pounds and sometimes he had guys charging at him that were well over 200 pounds. Now, living down here in Texas we play year round ball, plus he also had some of the best college coaches, ex-pro players, and scouts working with him on a regular basis teaching him all the new techniques on blocking so that he wouldn't get hurt. Getting hurt still happens....Broke his right elbow, cracked a rib from a runner charging him, strains and sprains in the back to name a few. If you have another position that you play, you should consider playing there for awhile if not forever. You really don't what to hurt your chances of healing properly and completely and possibly being messed up for the rest of your life. My guess is that the doctor is concerened about the catching more that playing baseball. I think that you really need to talk to him about it and make sure that you understand everything. I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear but I'm giving you my honest opinion with my experience of having the surgery and the experience with my son playing catcher. I wish you well!

Thank you. I just spoke with the Physical Therapesit He said I should be fine if I heal normally I hope that I do heal Normally. Thanks Agian

Comment

Witty

My son is 16 and having surgery on June 22 by Dr. Laufer in East Brunswick. Have you heard of him? What hospital will you have your surgery?

I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions as we are on the pre-surgery side as well, but I will post afterwards if you would like and let you know how it all goes.

Comment

Originally posted by carolnj
                  My son is 16 and having surgery on June 22 by Dr. Laufer in East Brunswick. Have you heard of him? What hospital will you have your surgery?

I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions as we are on the pre-surgery side as well, but I will post afterwards if you would like and let you know how it all goes.

I do know him He is the first Sugeron i went to. He is a little borrong but a Verry verry verry good Sugeron. To answer your question I will be at MMC(Monmouth Medical center) in my hometown of Long Branch.

I wish you and your son the best and you will be in the best of hands with him. My wishes and thoughts are with you.

Comment

I wish you all the luck with your surgery. Im 16 years old and I have had both posterior and anteritor surgeries. You will be fine. I thought i would answer some of your questions...and if you have any more i will be happy to answer them.

-My doctors got me up on the 2sd day. It does hurt a little..but trust me..it feels sooo much better to walk than to lie down.
                    -I was hungry right off the bat! I remember the first thing i ate was jello...and the only thing they would let me have to drink was sprite..and now i hate sprite!
                    -Im guessing...im not that into sports so i would say about 5 or 6 months..maybe less.
                    -Possibly 6 months to a year, it really depends on how you heal.
                    Has anyone ever heard of DR.Gordon Donald in Shrewsberry(NJ)?
                    -Sorry, never heard of him.
                    -During the 1st week, i was messed up as far as sleeping goes..i would sleep in the day and be totally awake at night!..but there would be times that i got a lot of sleep when i found a good position..and i strongly bringing long body pillows that u can get at wal-mart. Trust me..you will be so much more comphy with those than the pillows that they have at the hospital.
                    -I mainly slept on my side..thats when i got the most sleep

I hoped i helped a little..if you have anymore questions fell free to email me at gajrteen@aol.com.
                    <brittany
                    Last edited by brittany; 06-13-2005, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brittany
                      I wish you all the luck with your surgery. Im 16 years old and I have had both posterior and anteritor surgeries. You will be fine. I thought i would answer some of your questions...and if you have any more i will be happy to answer them.

-My doctors got me up on the 2sd day. It does hurt a little..but trust me..it feels sooo much better to walk than to lie down.
                      -I was hungry right off the bat! I remember the first thing i ate was jello...and the only thing they would let me have to drink was sprite..and now i hate sprite!
                      -Im guessing...im not that into sports so i would say about 4 or 5 months..maybe less.
                      -Definatly 6 months.
                      Has anyone ever heard of DR.Gordon Donald in Shrewsberry(NJ)?
                      -No
                      -During the 1st week, i was messed up as far as sleeping goes..i would sleep in the day and be totally awake at night!..but there would be times that i got a lot of sleep when i found a good position..and i strongly bringing long body pillows that u can get at wal-mart. Trust me..you will be so much more comphy with those than the pillows that they have at the hospital.
                      -I mainly slept on my side..thats when i got the most sleep

I hoped i helped a little..if you have anymore questions fell free to email me at gajrteen@aol.com.
                      <brittany

Thanks Brittany for the help. I know I ask a lot of questions so thanks for answering them for me.

Comment

Hey Witty300,

I was curious why you chose a different doctor? Monmouth Medical is where my son was born! Great hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by carolnj
                          Hey Witty300,

I was curious why you chose a different doctor? Monmouth Medical is where my son was born! Great hospital.

I ended up going to DR.Gordon Donald beause of the Personality I guess the Personality on Lafuer is worse than a Stack of wet newspapers but he is a great sugeron trust me. MMC I have never that I can rember ben there for a few days so i cant really speak. I know its a ginat Hospital though.

Comment

hey witty 300 i am getting back surgery too on june 20 and i am really nervous. what hospital are you getting it done at?

Comment

Originally posted by roxie
                              hey witty 300 i am getting back surgery too on june 20 and i am really nervous. what hospital are you getting it done at?

Dont be Nervous they say a stronger person comes from being scared so dont be Nervous. To answer your question MMC(Monmouth Medical center) in Long Branch(NJ) Also I found an answer to one of my questions I will be back playing baseball(C/3B by next March) thanks Agian evryone

Comment

Working...
                              X