Sleeping on stomach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping on stomach?

Can anyboby sleep on their stomach? If so how long before you were able to? Has anybody went swimming after 3 weeks post OP. Thanks Risa
    Risa the mother of a 11 year old girl. She has CP, Coritcal visual impairment, non verbal, non mobile, total spinal fusion with 4 screws at the base. God's blessing

Hi Risa

I think, and from anaedotal readings and knowledge that some people can, and some people can't sleep on their stomachs very well after surgery. One of the factors is kind of how much you can turn your neck (to be able to be comfortable). I know myself I tried to lie on my front about 3 months post op, and I simply wasn't comfortable as all I could manage was a face full of pillow.

The when you're allowed back to swimming (whether it be for PT or hydrotherapy) is largely dependent on each Doctor and each individual case. It seems as though most won't consider it/allow it until 6 weeks at the earliest but usually two to three months after OP. It's more of the scar needs a chance to heal, with being in a pool you can pick up the nasty little infections etc in the scar/back if it hasn't been given enough of a chance to heal and isn't too "new"

Regards

Alison

Comment

Risa:

my daughters dr. gave her the ok to go swimming yesterday (2 week post op appt) and basically lifted a lot of restricitions; i.e: ride a bike, go boating ect.. I was somewhat suprised-we'll just have to see how much she will do.

kim

Comment

Kim, Does she still have the scab on her back? I would think swimming would be bad for the scab at 2 weeks post-op? Kris

Comment

risa
          NICOLE IS NOT ALLOWED TO SWIN YET BUT AT 4 MONTHS SHE IS ABLE TO WALK IN THE POOL.
          THERESA
          THERESA

Comment

Sorry I know each surgeon and case to its own....but being allowed to ride a bike at two weeks post op all i can say is WOW, and I'd have been very suprised too kim, the fusion's so, so new.

Alison

Comment

Risa...

You should check with your daughter's doctor, but since I first started having back pain, I was told not to sleep on my stomach. It's definitely not a very ergonomic position.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Risa
                They Told Me Not To Let Nicole Sleep On Her Stomach Because When She Gets Up She Will Twist At The Waist. She A Side Sleeper So I Guess I Don't Have To Worry About That.
                Theresa
                THERESA

Comment

Hi Risa,

I was a belly sleeper for 42 yrs. After surgery I can no longer sleep on my belly, although twice in the past 2 1/2 yrs. I have woke up on my belly...not sure how I did it and had a difficult time trying to get out of the bed from that position. I sure do miss it!

Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

Me too, and for 42 years! It took a very long time to keep myself from rolling over onto my stomach. To this day, I still feel the urge, especially when I'm overly tired. Unfortunately, not allowing myself to sleep on my stomach has brought me to another habit that is even harder to break. When I sleep on my side, I always want to throw my top leg onto the bed in front of me. Unfortunately, that's causing a lot of pain in one of my S-I joints. I've tried all sorts of devices, but still wake up in that bad position.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Have always had trouble with back and neck pain, so seldom slept on my stomach. (I'm a side sleeping contortionist... I usually sleep balled up with my torso twisted... Kind of my lower body faces sideways, and my torso faces the cieling) I still did it sometimes though... (a couple times a month). But I'm a year and a half post op, and I absolutely can NOT sleep on my stomach for any period of time. My neck doesn't turn far enough comfortably to breathe, and it hyperextends my back below my fusion, which is really uncomfortable.
                      If I really feel the need to sleep on my stomach, I have to lay facing the foot of the bed with my head and shoulders hanging off, and put a pillow under my stomach so that my spine stays flat.
                      It's SUCH a pain to adapt to a new sleeping position. I had to sleep on my back for the first few weeks after my surgery, and it was SO hard to do. At times I would be awake for hours before I could drift off.
                      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Linda,

Instead of using the special knee pillows to keep my back in alignment, I use a full size pillow which I turn long ways and it supports my thighs, knees and ankles. I too have the desire to throw my top leg over and touch the bed...same problem with my top arm. Sometimes I will put a pillow in front of me to lay my arm on and most times I rest my top arm on my hips...that keeps me from twisting. One other thought...when I lay on my side my elbow is pointing out in front of me...I see my husband lay and his elbow will sometimes be pointing behind him...Hmm...I can't do that...I think I could before surgery...don't remember...do you?

Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you mean you can't sleep on your side, with your arm on your side, and the elbow pointing to the back? I can do that.

Regards,
                          Linda

Comment

Linda,

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. For instance when I am sleeping on my right side, my right arm is under my pillow and my right elbow points straight out in front of my face. I see my husband sometimes in the same position except his elbow bends back behind his head. I think b/4 surgery I could do that...but now I can't. I was just wondering if you could?

Kindest Regards,
                            Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

It doesn't sound terribly comfortable, but I think I could do it.

--Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X